Adding a subwoofer to enhance standmount speaker bass.

AntAxon

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
I'm not sure if its a good idea but I have a Marantz PM8005, SA8005 anf Tannoy DC6 SE speakers. I'm a little dissapointed with the speaker as I would like more bass so I was thinking of upgrading to floorstanders. However I notice that I could add a subwoofer to the preamp output as I mainly listen to music i was wondering if this was a good idea or would floorstander be better. The room is about 15 x 15 ft and I mainly listen to Beatles and 60s music, ELO, Bowie, Rumer etc.

Coll

May 4, 2011
Visit site
I did this in the past and it worked fine, could not tell the bass was coming from the sub it sounded like it was from the speakers, but you need to get the settings spot on. Look at the BK Elec subs they are very good.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

AntAxon

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
I tried to get Richer Sounds to let me audition a few different speakers but they did not seem to happy to do it as it would mean opening boxes. I noticed they have Tannoy Precision 6.4 for £999 down from over £2000 are they that much better than the DC6 SE Floorstander? I know the price suggests they are but without hearing them is it worth the investment? They also have the Tannoy Precision 6.2 for £800, I'm really not sure what to do! Are there alternatives which are less expensive that sound as good I wonder.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Heard the 6,2s are are a step up from the dc range but would in my opinon do better with a better amp also but if your happy with the dc6se then id say go for it over the dc6seT

but its you that need to be happy not me - id say there are in the same class as the kef r series but not quite as good.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Heard the 6,2s are are a step up from the dc range but would in my opinon do better with a better amp also but if your happy with the dc6se then id say go for it over the dc6seT

but its you that need to be happy not me - id say there are in the same class as the kef r series but not quite as good.

Just read back and saw you have Mar 8005 - lots of people rate the amp so yeah think it would be good enough for the 6.2s or 6.4

there are reviews on what hifi

AntAxon

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
Hi Andrew, thanks or your advice. I managed to get the 6.2s for £799 from Audio Express, I decided that the 6.4s were just too big for my room. Your Kef 700s must be amazing but a bit too much for me to spend at the moment. Good luck with the amp search, I found Pricespy really useful for finding the best deals. Really looking forward to getting my new speakers!!!

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I would've recommended the 6.2s instead of the DC6T SEs, but I wasn't sure what your budget was.

From what I've read on different forums, the 6.2s will be a large step up from your existing speakers, so you should be very happy with them.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
. Antaxon wrote: I managed to get the 6.2s for £799 from Audio Express

Wow thats really good deal. No the kefs are good but i think the precision 6.2s are in the same class and for the price you paid compared to the kefs the tannoys are much better value. So you are the big winner. Please let us know how tou get on and please dont judge the sound until youve ran them and listened to them over 10 hours. I e got no doubt you will be very happy.

LDTM

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
Although not with the brands you've been looking at, I've had both stand-mount & subwoofer packages (since given them to the inlaws) and floorstander only packages. Some general points that may or may not be useful:

Putting a subwoofer with stand-mounters will let you big right down to the bottom octaves and there is an argument that this option is preferable to (some) floorstanders as cabinet rigidity and colouration can become more of an issue with larger enclosures.

That said however, adding a subwoofer does mean allocating floor space another box, can be expensive, and does require quite a bit of tinkering to ensure seamlesss integration with your speakers. You can of course dial up as much-or as little-bass as you please though.

Floorstanders will generally give more bass than standmounters of the same range and I find this setup preferential; the voicing and integration of drivers has been done properly by someone far more knowledgable than myself with proper measuring equipment. A floorstander's footprint is roughly about the same as a stand-mount too. Better still, if you are upgrading from existing stand-mounts there is always the option to use them as an auxiliary pair.

Anyway, enjoy the hunt *biggrin*

LDTM

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts