Add a Marantz 6005 to a Marantz mcr610?

philh777

Sep 27, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

A newbie who appreciates good sound but haven't a clue about setup. Any help therefore really appreciated.

I have already purchased a Marantz MCR610 to listen to CDs and stream Internet radio. I want to add a pair of Q Acoustics Concept 20 speakers (cost £350). I notice one well known company is doing a bundle of above speakers with a Marantz 6005 amp for £500. Would it be worth spending the extra £150 for the following:

1. Can I play the MCR610 through the 6005 amp and if so would it improve the sound?

2. Could I play my TV through the 6005 amp into the concept 20 speakers?

3. If I cannot hook up my MCR610 to 6005 amp I assume I can't hook up the tv to the 6005 amp as they would both be going to one set of speakers?

4. Should I just save £150 and only purchase the concept 20 speakers? If so, can I play tv through MCR610 (my primary interest is the music but improving tv sound when watching films etc would be a nice bonus).

thanks for reading through this. Assume I know nothing and you won't be far wrong.

Phil

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
philh777 said:
Hi,

A newbie who appreciates good sound but haven't a clue about setup. Any help therefore really appreciated.

I have already purchased a Marantz MCR610 to listen to CDs and stream Internet radio. I want to add a pair of Q Acoustics Concept 20 speakers (cost £350). I notice one well known company is doing a bundle of above speakers with a Marantz 6005 amp for £500. Would it be worth spending the extra £150 for the following:

1. Can I play the MCR610 through the 6005 amp and if so would it improve the sound?

2. Could I play my TV through the 6005 amp into the concept 20 speakers?

3. If I cannot hook up my MCR610 to 6005 amp I assume I can't hook up the tv to the 6005 amp as they would both be going to one set of speakers?

4. Should I just save £150 and only purchase the concept 20 speakers? If so, can I play tv through MCR610 (my primary interest is the music but improving tv sound when watching films etc would be a nice bonus).

thanks for reading through this. Assume I know nothing and you won't be far wrong.

Phil
hi i own both the marantz 6005 and cd 6005 and both are good hifi set ups for the money and sounds good but your need to demo them both first and ask them to set up your speakers with the setup your wanting to try as some speakers do not get on with some hifi amps and cd players so its better to try first before parting with your money but you can not go far wrong with this setup . i am using atles speaker cable and cord company cobra 3s between amp and cd player

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
If you buy that amp/speaker combo -possible options.

Use the Audio Outs on the 610 into the 6005 via interconnects and use the 610 as a source for CD, radio and streaming.

If your tv has Audio Out send it through the 610 - you can use a separate input on the amp for the tv if you choose. But I'd just use the 610.

Connect the speakers to the 6005.

Don't know how these two compare sound wise.

But the 610 will provide all your entertainment the 6005 the grunt...... :)

It's actually not a bad idea - but compare the performance of the 2 devices - if there is no great difference in sound quality through your speaker of choice save yourself 150quid and buy yourself some music and films.

philh777

Sep 27, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the 3 responses. Loads of wisdom in there. I'll go to the shop and ask if they'd mind setting up the combination. Really appreciate all comments; it has given me more info than 4 hours research on the Internet.

matthewpiano

The PM6005 is better than the '610 but it has a different sonic signature with more weight in the bass so I'd definitely agree with the need to audition. You might also want to consider comparing an amp from a step up to see if you'd rather start with the speakers and then upgrade the amp later. Amps like the Rega Brio-R, Arcam A19, and Creek Evolution 50A are a considerable improvement over the PM6005, so you may feel it is worth staging your upgrade a bit more. Certainly the Concept 20s are good enough to show the differences in the amplification, though you might also wish to audition alternatives such as the B&W 685 s2, Monitor Audio Silver 1 (or 2), and KEF Q300 to be sure you are making the best purchase.

One other thought. The '610 is a great example of a compact all-in-one swiss army knife system, but it's CD replay is a weakness and one which will become more apparent through better amplification. If you don't listen to CDs very often it probably won't bother you, but if you do I think it might.

TRENDING THREADS