Actives. Dare I ask?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Passive or active setups will be just different solutions to the same problem. Specific AVI ADM speakers would not be ideal, as they are a complete system, but for a stereo pair. You would not need more than one preamp or DAC and the one pair of ADM9s, would not simultaeneously control the other pairs, so you'd be paying for a lot of redundancy.

I would imagine that a bespoke active system might have a processor in the sub or large centre unit and this would be used to control the satellite speakers. I do not know of any, so maybe one needs to be made?

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
You realise all those extra cables are going to give you spaghetti junction unless you're careful?

spaghetti junction :). I know all about that.

Id like to think I'd take a bit of care with cable hiding if I do a proper HC setup. In a passive 5.1 you've got 5 speaker cables (10 plugs) + sub, with active you'll have just one pre out cable per speaker + sub so possibly a bit less messy ?

Re. the mains cable. Obviously strategically placed sockets will help, rather than extensions etc all over.

daveh75

Shame Aperion aren't (officially) available outside North America

Their wireless 5.1 system ticks a lot of boxes.

http://www.aperionaudio.com/speakers/wireless-speakers/new-aperion-intimus-4t-summit-wireless-5-1-system

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
AlmaataKZ said:
This is a 5.1 system connected to sub. Excellent stuff.

http://www.genelec.com/download.php?page=documents/qsg/QSG_5040A.pdf

There are also a number of 5.1 active systems on atcforums, such as this one:

http://atcforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=6121

I'll try and find some more.

daveh75

AlmaataKZ said:
This is a 5.1 system connected to sub. Excellent stuff.

http://www.genelec.com/download.php?page=documents/qsg/QSG_5040A.pdf

You'd still need a pre-amp of some description though to accommodate multiple/digital sources, and doubled the number of anologue I/Cs required in the process.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
That first ATC set up is beautiful and something I'd love. Tbh I haven't bothered googling for prices, as I can imagine its well out of my league.

That centre is huge.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
richardw42 said:
That first ATC set up is beautiful and something I'd love. Tbh I haven't bothered googling for prices, as I can imagine its well out of my league.

That centre is huge.

Really, really not cheap if you have floorstanding fronts and an active centre, plus their c4 or c6 sub. You could do it cheaper with second hand fronts or standmounts, but you're still talking many thousands. My own (passive) c3c is big, bigger than any gap left in standard av units that I could find, and the smallest active centre the c3ca is substantially bigger again. I don't really know any small or cheap active centres, so options are to buy second hand (tho not many come up) use a standmount centre (on its side if you have to) or use a passive centre amped by an av receiver. AlmaataKZ I think uses ATC's passive c1c like this, with active 50s as fronts.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Indeed, I have active 2.1 connected to dac/pre and passive centre (atc c1c) and rears (old monitor audio monitor 3) connected to pre outs of the avr. Works well enough.

I would love to have an active multichannel setup but I would only do it during a new build or refurbishment and even then would only go for small-ish centre and rears e.g. C3ca maximum and some simple two-way actives for rears, most likely built into walls with all the cabling hidden and pre wired power switches. Too messy otherwise (unless you have a den where it is ok).

Currently the rear cables are hidden under the fitted carpet - did that when it was being replaced, five years before I even moved into the flat.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
I'm getting a sense of deja vu.

If you were prepared to have a redundant speaker, you could have a fully wireless active setup in the form of the Xeos.

A pair of Xeo 5s for fronts, Xeo 3s for the rears and another Xeo 3 single for the centre, or use the pair fed from a signal splitter from the centre channel. A Dynaudio sub would compliment the setup.

That would not be cheap though, coming in at around £6K :O

I think that Dynaudio could offer a special HC package that included a 5.1 receiver instead of having to use three separate receivers.

What's the budget?

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Is that the OP or me ?

im guessing the loft conversion will be anything up to 30k, if I do it I don't want to skimp.

Id like to think I'd get myself a pretty special HC set up for 10-12k to include any pro installation if necessary.

My thinking is PJ - fixed screen - BDP - processor - 5 x actives & 1 or 2 subs.

If AVI for example were my preferred choice, I'd expect some lead time, as it would be an unusual request, if indeed they'd do it 5 x ADM9 slaves.

But as its 18 - 24 months away who knows what might come up in the meantime.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
This would be a good start, at an extremely reasonable price: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ATC-Concept-4-C4Ca-ACTIVE-POWERED-Centre-Speaker-/111011136958?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item19d8c785be

TRENDING THREADS