Active speaker test in latest issue

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Well, indeed. As I always say, everyone's going to be unhappy that something is left out, and at least two of the models you quote have been changed since last we reviewed them. So if you knock those out, that's only three out of eight previously tested...

Anyway, this has been a fascinating discussion - so what do you all think of the test, anyway?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:

Well, indeed. As I always say, everyone's going to be unhappy that something is left out, and at least two of the models you quote have been changed since last we reviewed them. So if you knock those out, that's only three out of eight previously tested...

Anyway, this has been a fascinating discussion - so what do you all think of the test, anyway?

Haven't read it yet but which ones were your personal favorites?

shado

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
So once a subscriber receives the latest mag will a blog be issued stating the results hopefully before Bank Holiday Monday?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
shado:So once a subscriber receives the latest mag will a blog be issued stating the results hopefully before Bank Holiday Monday?

What you mean it'll be made available for free on the website before the mag is available to the public to BUY?

Doesn't seem likely does it...

A

Anonymous

Andrew, my point was more that the less exotic B&Os didn't feature in the round-up, and it would have been interesting to see how your reviewers rated them against the new wave of active speakers.

I went into a B&O shop recently while waiting for the volcanic ash to clear ("Let's go for a long weekend in Copenhagen" the OH said) and was mightily impressed by both the Beolab 4000s and the tiny ones, the Beolab 4s. Only the cost of the extra nights in the hotel put me off walking out with the latter.

A

Anonymous

eee, how can I know are speakers active or powered passive? Manufacturers are not very clear about it in description, ... or maybe I just do not know correct keywords?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Tarquinh:Andrew, my point was more that the less exotic B&Os didn't feature in the round-up, and it would have been interesting to see how your reviewers rated them against the new wave of active speakers.
I went into a B&O shop recently while waiting for the volcanic ash to clear ("Let's go for a long weekend in Copenhagen" the OH said) and was mightily impressed by both the Beolab 4000s and the tiny ones, the Beolab 4s. Only the cost of the extra nights in the hotel put me off walking out with the latter.

Yes, there were lots more brands and models we could have included. Maybe we'll come back to the subject again in the future, given the proliferation of speakers of this kind...

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
ediots:eee, how can I know are speakers active or powered passive? Manufacturers are not very clear about it in description, ... or maybe I just do not know correct keywords?

Eee, I think y'can tell by 'ow many amplifier thingies are in t'speaker, and where t'crossover is located in relation to them. If t'crossover is before th'amps, and each driver has its own amplifier, t'speaker is active; if not, it's passive...

A

Anonymous

thanks Andrew,
that means if speakers have amp for each driver I can be almost sure it is active design, is it? (they usually do not write where is crossover located)

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Basically - very basically - an active speaker has a crossover which splits the incoming signal into frequency bands suited for each driver, which are then amplified by separate amps dedicated to each driver. So each amp is only handling the frequency 'chunk' going to the driver it serves, and can be tailored to its task.

In a passive powered speaker all that's really happening is that the amplification is being moved from a separate box to inside the speaker. The amp works across the full frequency range, and the signal is then filtered to the characteristics of the drive units.

T

the record spot

Andrew Everard:And so, presumably, have some subscribers, who should be starting to receive their copies...

I did! Nearly fell over when the 9.1s were in it. Makes sense about the recent purchases Claire alluded to. Shame about the AE22s - I'd like to have seen that.

Minor gripe, I know powered Passives and true Actives have been much discussed, but although it alludes to it, the introductory text doesn't really make it clear with regard to the crossover's place in the scheme of things (I don't think it does anyway). Other than that, was pleased to see this coverage.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
the record spot:Andrew Everard:And so, presumably, have some subscribers, who should be starting to receive their copies...
I did! Nearly fell over when the 9.1s were in it. Makes sense about the recent purchases Claire alluded to. Shame about the AE22s - I'd like to have seen that. Minor gripe, I know powered Passives and true Actives have been much discussed, but although it alludes to it, the introductory text doesn't really make it clear with regard to the crossover's place in the scheme of things (I don't think it does anyway). Other than that, was pleased to see this coverage.

C'mon son, spit it all out and don't hold back ...

A

Anonymous

Still, despite the 5 stars, I wouldn't be going for the ADM 9.1s. Apart from the fact they're not available here, I'm always suspicious of manufacturers who push the 'try before you buy' line.

T

the record spot

drummerman:
the record spot:Andrew Everard:And so, presumably, have some subscribers, who should be starting to receive their copies...
I did! Nearly fell over when the 9.1s were in it. Makes sense about the recent purchases Claire alluded to. Shame about the AE22s - I'd like to have seen that. Minor gripe, I know powered Passives and true Actives have been much discussed, but although it alludes to it, the introductory text doesn't really make it clear with regard to the crossover's place in the scheme of things (I don't think it does anyway). Other than that, was pleased to see this coverage.

C'mon son, spit it all out and don't hold back ...

LOL, well, that was pretty much it really!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
drummerman:C'mon son, spit it all out and don't hold back ...

Actually, don't - it's very unfair on those yet to receive/buy their magazines.

Oh, and I'm thinking of dropping my first name, in the cause of clarity - anyone got any thoughts...?
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

Yes, Andrew, why do some people refer to you only by your surname?

RCduck7

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
I have been playing with the thaught of active speakers for a bedroom setup as i want the bedroom to look clean without any amp and rack, just a source feeding it. Dynaudio came up first in my mind as i liked the sound of the Excite i heard some time ago.

When i browsed the internet i found very good comments of the active Yamaha studio speakers, not very expensive and they have a subwoofer to for that range.

http://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/proaudio/speakers/?series_id=17110

I don't think thay are included in the test but advise and experience on those are welcome for me as Yamaha came up with a few very good budget speakers, this might be a gem, they are made for studio's and often compared to ATC, PMC and Adam Tensor by a certain proffesional user i have read.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I won't be buying the AVIs as they have a naff remote...

A remote should be hewn from wood, or weigh as much as a housebrick in my opinion.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts