Active speaker test in latest issue

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
OK, just to get you all really excited, here's the full line-up in the test:

Audioengine A5

Epoz Aktimate Mini

Epoz Aktimate Maxi

Yamaha MSP7

AVI ADM 9.1

Dynaudio Focus 110A

PMC DB1S-AII

Adam Audio Classic Compact 3

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Nick21:How long a running in did you do?

No idea, as not involved in the test, but two months does sound excessive. Isn't that a bit audiophoolish? Aren't you just acclimatising to the speakers?
emotion-5.gif
Surely if they're properly designed, then - oh, I really can't be bothered...

Nick21:Andrew did you buy the Avi's with or without the sub? if without have you tried them with a sub?

Without. And yes I have, but the review doesn't. Mind you, neither did the reviewers use a sub with any of the other speakers in the test.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Simon Lucas:This is what passes for not giving anything away with you, is it? Where did I rest my big stick?

(whispers) Knowledge is power, knowledge is power...

A

Anonymous

drummerman:
Well, nobody can't accuse this publication of not trying, that is if anyone did. Personally I think it's wrong you had to buy them regardless of what I think of the product.
Why is it wrong? It's what magazines like Which choose to do for everything they test to guarantee independence and impartiality. If you're reliant on the manufacturer it does limit your choices, as could be the case here. For example, B&O make only active speakers but they don't seem to have been part of the test.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Tarquinh:drummerman:Well, nobody can't accuse this publication of not trying, that is if anyone did. Personally I think it's wrong you had to buy them regardless of what I think of the product.Why is it wrong? It's what magazines like Which choose to do for everything they test to guarantee independence and impartiality.

Which will probably have a much MUCH bigger budget for that though. And really don't see how being supplied with kit to test makes any difference to impartiality. Presumbably that's why some manufacturers DON'T supply kit, because they don't think they'll get a good enough review.

If you're reliant on the manufacturer it does limit your choices, as could be the case here. For example, B&O make only active speakers but they don't seem to have been part of the test.

From what I've seen I don't think B&O make anything that would fall within the price range of the rest of the gear on test here.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
We have reviewed several Bang & Olufsen active speaker designs in the past; in this test we were more interested in brands and models we hadn't tested.

Escapism

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
Yes, fantastic line up including passive designs, which seems a bit odd for an 'active' group test.

EDIT - could be labelled as a 'powered speaker' test I guess, I have not seen the publication so perhaps jumping the gun.

Escapism

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
Andrew Everard:

The test contains both true active speakers and powered passive designs, as we make very clear in the review copy.

EDIT: Ah right, you edited...

Thanks for the clarification.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Escapism:Thanks for the clarification.

You're welcome - just thought I should make the point lest anyone pre-judge the test without actually having read it...

NigelF

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I hope WHF have not taken conservative approach and just reviewing the speakers individually instead of putting them against each other.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
but they'd sound awful if you put them against each other...?

AIUI, ALL of WHFs tests are comparative, with the possible exception of the first 3D TV test as there wasn't anything else to compare it to.

NigelF

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Hi Andrew,

To clarify I was hoping for a Super Test kind of a review of under 1.5K where you put all speakers against each other and have one winner, but I guess from your reply it seems round-up review means these has been individually reviewed and has not been put to test against each other. I guess WHF doesn't want to get into the den of hooligans
emotion-2.gif

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
On the subject of manufacturers supplying product free-of-charge for review - seems that doesn't really help as we supplied AE22 Active's for this very test yet still didn't make it in according to Andy Clough's list!

Ah well... :)

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
AlmaataKZ:Is AE22 outside the budget bracket? And if yes will be reviewed separately?

Shouldn't be, £900 and already reviewed here - http://whathifi.com/Review/Acoustic-Energy-AE22-Active/

I do remember rushing around trying to find a pair as they were out of stock at the time, I think we had to use a b-stock pair so maybe they weren't pretty enough! (or were damaged in some way, though I'm pretty sure they would have been checked over before sending...)

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
As I already said, we favoured speakers we hadn't previously tested...

I gather the size and scope of the test changed during the reviewing process, so apologies for any inconvenience caused, AEJ.

TRENDING THREADS