Active Monitors in a domestic environment

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Theo said:
Okay so based on your feedback, I have revised my shortlist as follows:

1. Event Opals + sub

2. AVI DM10 + AVI sub

3. Genelec G4 or G5 + sub

Based on my experience with the DM5's + sub which to my ears sound better than either the Opal's or Genelec's I think that the DM10's would be the best bet.

In fact I'm saving hard to get a pair of DM10's myself.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
gowiththeflow said:
I've no idea if AVI are closing down completely, but they've ceased production of the small DM5's and the Sub, for now at least. Leaving the new DM10's as the only speaker on sale. What happens when the first batch of those is sold, is anyone's guess?

According to Ash's posts on the AVI forum today there's going to be a second batch of 50 DM5's made once they've finished building the current batch of DM10's.

When I asked Ash about the future of the DM10's a couple of weeks ago he told me that they're going to finish the current batch of DM10's which he is currently taking deposits for but he's unsure at this stage if there'll ever be a second batch of DM10's in the future.

The AVI subs for the time being are no longer available and it's quite likely that they never will be again.

Theo

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
The DM10 only seem to have unbalanced inputs, my living room layout means there will be a 1 x 5m unbalanced audio cable between the two speakers - XLR balanced cable support would have been ideal. Also what is the status with their sub, is it going to become available soon?

I am thinking it might even be possible to keep by current speakers and trial these, I am sure they will be easily sellable if they don't work ?

Theo

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Electro said:
Theo said:
Okay so based on your feedback, I have revised my shortlist as follows:

1. Event Opals + sub

2. AVI DM10 + AVI sub

3. Genelec G4 or G5 + sub

I am also looking at upgrading my source to a Linn DSM at some point so potentially I can use their SPACE technology to prevent the wide power bandwidth of Monitor speakers creating havoc in my non-ideal room.

Once thing I still cannot understand is why most Monitors are two way designs. I have become so used to my PB1is delivering instrument textures and mid range detail and I don't really want to take a step back. Mid field monitors like IB2SA are over my budget and size so I really don't have much of a choice.

BTW is AVI really closing down ? I was begining to think the DM10 + sub combo might work for me only to find out they are ceasing production.

My PB1is are capable of reaching very deep at the low end whilest also revealing the character of low notes - this is where I thought a good sub might help but that is just a wild guess.

If I had a 20' x 26' living room with no kids running about, I would have happily lived with my PB1i Signatures in their ideal positions etc. and I will not bother upgrading. But thats not the case currently, the speakers are backed right up against the back walls well away from trouble so I am hoping Active Speakers will solve some of these constraints.

This is why I think you will have a hard job finding any other speaker that can compete with the PB1i bass whether passive or active unless you spend a large chunk of money.

Small speakers with a sub or even two subs will not be able to equal the natural quality and realistic textures of bass instruments in the totally integrated manner the PB1i's do in my experience and opinion , they are one of the best speakers I have heard when it comes to realistic natural bass rather than the false over tight atificial and punchy bass that many people seem to like that sounds nothing like real live bass instuments ime .

I would try and keep your PB1i's if you possibly can , they do work reasonably well close to a back wall but do not like being close to side walls , if you can't you will have to accept a compromise .

Have you had a chance to audition the PMC Two Two sub? I am thinking this will not be too far from PB1is low end - any thoughts?

A two two sub plus a PMC Two Two 6 will probably be the other choice - PMC Two Twos dont have grills so that is one issue.

Heres a question... none of the serious pro-level nearfield monitors seem to have dedicated mids. Does this mean mids and less important for monitoring or that active two way designs are equally good at revealing mid-range detail?

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Theo said:
Have you had a chance to audition the PMC Two Two sub? I am thinking this will not be too far from PB1is low end - any thoughts?

A two two sub plus a PMC Two Two 6 will probably be the other choice - PMC Two Twos dont have grills so that is one issue.

Heres a question... none of the serious pro-level nearfield monitors seem to have dedicated mids. Does this mean mids and less important for monitoring or that active two way designs are equally good at revealing mid-range detail?

I would think the Two Two 6 plus the new sub would be very good indeed but you are looking at over £7000 for the bundle which is nearly the price of the PB1i sigs when they were new , the best thing to do would be to listen to the combo to see if you are happy with the sound and think it can equal the PB1i's .

I have not heard the new sub but I would expect it to be up to the usual very high PMC standard .

I think the problem with having a three way nearfield monitor would be driver integration at close quarters if the listening position was too close to the speaker , this is why the three way speakers tent to be midfield or far field monitors .*smile* .

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Theo said:
...Also what is the status with their sub, is it going to become available soon?

According to what Ash said a while back on the AVI forum the subwoofers are out of production at the moment and are likely to stay that way for quite some time, possibly even forever. Although they may reconsider building another batch if there's sufficient interest in the future.

You'd probably be better checking with AVI directly though as I'm only repeating what I've read on their forum. :)

Theo

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
Theo said:
...Also what is the status with their sub, is it going to become available soon?

According to what Ash said a while back on the AVI forum the subwoofers are out of production at the moment and are likely to stay that way for quite some time, possibly even forever. Although they may reconsider building another batch if there's sufficient interest in the future.

You'd probably be better checking with AVI directly though as I'm only repeating what I've read on their forum. :)

I have been reading up on the DM10 but it is unclear whether they will offer XLR inputs. Even older AVIs seem to support XLR so its a shame if the DM10s won't. Any thoughts?

I have registered with the AVI forum but did not get approval to post.

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
Theo said:
steve_1979 said:
Theo said:

I have been reading up on the DM10 but it is unclear whether they will offer XLR inputs. Even older AVIs seem to support XLR so its a shame if the DM10s won't. Any thoughts?

your lucky you got that far, my registration was refused

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Theo said:
steve_1979 said:
Theo said:

I'm pretty sure the DM10's won't have XLR inputs as the backplate is the same as on the ADM9's.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
MattSPL said:
Theo said:
steve_1979 said:
Theo said:

How come?

Didn't agree to the eternal AVI oath and pledge of allegiance?

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
It might be worth emailing them.

I think like a lot of forums, they will be being spammed to death at the moment and your request might have got lost with those.

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
MattSPL said:
Theo said:
steve_1979 said:
Theo said:

How come?

Didn't agree to the eternal AVI oath and pledge of allegiance?

i joined in some AVI threads on pfm Before and had a disagreement with Ashley as he was touting his speakers as the best on the planet regardless of size and cost.

i was simply stating that there was no way a small 2 way could produce a real live sound like a large speaker.

Theo

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
An update after nearly 1 year of owning AVI DM10 speakers which I got a couple of days after creating this thread on WHF. Leading upto this, my previous speakers have been Linn Majik 140s Passive & Active, B&W 802N, Magnepan 1.7, PMC Twenty 24 & PMC PB1i Sigs out of which PB1is were my favourite. I especially liked its clarity across the range and bottom-end extension & detail.

The AVI setup I have now consists of a transporter streamer feeding AVIs through optical SPDIF and a bk xxls400 sub fed via anti-mode 8033 s2 so much less box-count as I sold my Monoblocks & Pre. I would describe the outcome as follows:

* The top-end extension is the best I have heard and high's are so controlled and sound so precise. Yes I now understand what "controlled" highs sound like - its not about being sweet or warm.

* Mids are clearer than the clearest I have heard, there is no comparison other speakers I have heard and I do visit audio shows regularly. We are talking about a different league of clarity here really.

* The combination of DM10, anti-mode & Sub provides an extended, very precise, very fast and controlled low-end. By far the best I have heard in my room.

* Soundstage & Imaging - if I could quantify it, would say several orders better than what I had heard before - a three dimentional picture like no other I had encountered

Can go on and on but it is sufficient to say that my hifi journey of exploration may have come to an end - not that I think this is the best there is, but because after many years of swapping/upgrading one with the other, I have finally begun to enjoy what I listen to 100%.

Finally, I would like to thank everyone here who guided me to take the plunge with AVI.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Theo said:
An update after nearly 1 year of owning AVI DM10 speakers which I got a couple of days after creating this thread on WHF. Leading upto this, my previous speakers have been Linn Majik 140s Passive & Active, B&W 802N, Magnepan 1.7, PMC Twenty 24 & PMC PB1i Sigs out of which PB1is were my favourite. I especially liked its clarity across the range and bottom-end extension & detail.

The AVI setup I have now consists of a transporter streamer feeding AVIs through optical SPDIF and a bk xxls400 sub fed via anti-mode 8033 s2 so much less box-count as I sold my Monoblocks & Pre. I would describe the outcome as follows:

* The top-end extension is the best I have heard and high's are so controlled and sound so precise. Yes I now understand what "controlled" highs sound like - its not about being sweet or warm.

* Mids are clearer than the clearest I have heard, there is no comparison other speakers I have heard and I do visit audio shows regularly. We are talking about a different league of clarity here really.

* The combination of DM10, anti-mode & Sub provides an extended, very precise, very fast and controlled low-end. By far the best I have heard in my room.

* Soundstage & Imaging - if I could quantify it, would say several orders better than what I had heard before - a three dimentional picture like no other I had encountered

Can go on and on but it is sufficient to say that my hifi journey of exploration may have come to an end - not that I think this is the best there is, but because after many years of swapping/upgrading one with the other, I have finally begun to enjoy what I listen to 100%.

Finally, I would like to thank everyone here who guided me to take the plunge with AVI.

I'm listening just over a week smaller DM5's without sub and my reactions are pretty much similar to yours ( except bass below 60Hz).. great stereo image, smooth, faithful, neutral & honest sound, detailed & clear but not analytical.. and I'm comparing them with passive ATC 11 & 19 with Electrocompaniet & ATC amps and ATC 40's active.. DM5 share same sound signature as their bigger brothers.. DM10 are "much more powerful, more clear, more bass and more depth to the image "

also, choice of veneer and overall built quality is top class.. always thought these AVI's are overhyped so bought pair for myself to check...these are solid performers with qualities not found in 10 times more expensive speakers.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Theo said:

Glad to hear they worked out well for you Theo. I've had my DM10s for a similar amount of time as you and echo everything you say. They really are special.

Theo said:

Out of interest what do you think of the BK 8033S-II?

About a year ago I was considering trying one of BK's anti-mode gadgets to use with my AVI subwoofer but never got around to it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts