Acer Aspire Revo R3610

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Has anyone got one of these? They look decent, are small and have what looks to me, the spec I will need to run Media Center and Foobar for films and music. I've been toying with changing my media player but none of them have the interface that is good enough. I also looked at the Dell Zino HD but it hasn't got a digital optical out (just hdmi). And I don't think you can change the sound card.

John Duncan

I doubt if you'll be able to change anything, tbh. But then for the price (240 quid or something), you can't really expect to I suppose. I really like Acer, guitarist has one and I recommended one for the MiL that she got for Christmas (both laptops though). Does it have a fan though - could be quite noisy?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:I doubt if you'll be able to change anything, tbh. But then for the price (240 quid or something), you can't really expect to I suppose. I really like Acer, guitarist has one and I recommended one for the MiL that she got for Christmas (both laptops though). Does it have a fan though - could be quite noisy?

It's supposed to be quiet too. Is the Atom 330 and Nvidia Ion good enough for watching HD films and playing FLAC to my DM? I'm in a quandary whether to save and spend more for a decent slimline desktop or if this Revo would be plenty for what I need. I would rip, download etc from my desktop upstairs and stream the files to the Revo.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:JohnDuncan:I doubt if you'll be able to change anything, tbh. But then for the price (240 quid or something), you can't really expect to I suppose. I really like Acer, guitarist has one and I recommended one for the MiL that she got for Christmas (both laptops though). Does it have a fan though - could be quite noisy?

It's supposed to be quiet too. Is the Atom 330 and Nvidia Ion good enough for watching HD films and playing FLAC to my DM? I'm in a quandary whether to save and spend more for a decent slimline desktop or if this Revo would be plenty for what I need. I would rip, download etc from my desktop upstairs and stream the files to the Revo.

I've just read some more and I will be buying. I can't believe I've been looking for a NMT for ages and this was floating around.

A

Anonymous

I have one strapped to the back of my TV as an HTPC.

Totally silent and fast enough. Overall very satisfied.

Use SPDIF optical into my DACmagic for music via FB2K with FLAC files, and HDMI into the TV for monitor, BBC iPlayer, DIXV videos.

Control is via a wireless keyboard with integral trackpad.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
ratty_uk2000:
I have one strapped to the back of my TV as an HTPC.

Totally silent and fast enough. Overall very satisfied.

Use SPDIF optical into my DACmagic for music via FB2K with FLAC files, and HDMI into the TV for monitor, BBC iPlayer, DIXV videos.

Control is via a wireless keyboard with integral trackpad.

Thanks Ratty. I plan to connect it to my AV receiver for films and surround sound and I will use a MC remote control which I think can work with FB2K as well. Cannot wait now!

A

Anonymous

Short stuff's into computer-based music these days....finally tired of that Cambridge Audio then? Very fatiguing sound, that...
emotion-52.gif

davidrust

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
I got one of these last week, it's just running XBMC with linux. It is fantastic! great sound & picture over hdmi to Marantz SR-6004 and Sony KDL-40X3500.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Have been considering one of these with a Duet, instead of a NAS. They do more, and are very reasonably priced. Plus they have more processing power, and ive heard a NAS can struggle slightly with the Duet's server software.

A

Anonymous

Another happy user here: I'm using the Revo as digital transport connected to my DAC through the optical output. I'm absolutely in love with it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts