Accuphase e-305

Mickfromdenmark

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Hello everybody i have finally bought myself an accuphase amplifier *music2*

I have a set of Spendor sp 7/1 as my main speakers for the amp.

I am wondering if it would best to run the speakers in channel a+b, both channels, or just one channel? anyone knows? the speakers have biwiring.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Mickfromdenmark said:
Hello everybody i have finally bought myself an accuphase amplifier *music2*

I am wondering if it would best to run the speakers in channel a+b, both channels, or just one channel? anyone knows? the speakers have biwiring.

I would run single wire only

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Mickfromdenmark said:

I would run single wire only

+1

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Mickfromdenmark said:

Congratulations on buying a top quality amp... stick to

single

Whenever you're ready for a speaker change, try Harbeth, they're a superb match with Accuphase, although expect it to sound great with your Spendors too

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

insider9 said:
Nice setup.

If you have sufficient about of cable then give it a go. I wouldn't expect hear a difference though.

Hear, hear. In my opinion the fact that speakers have two pairs of terminals is there for those that think bi-amping is the way to go, one for bass and one for treble..... which it isn't....

Mickfromdenmark

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Macspur said:
Mickfromdenmark said:

single

Whenever you're ready for a speaker change, try Harbeth, they're a superb match with Accuphase, although expect it to sound great with your Spendors too

Mac

Thank you for the suggestion towards the Harbeth speakers. Do you have a particular model you are thinking of? But to be honest its gonna take alot of speaker to compete with my Spendors. They might be from the 90's but they can play music.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Mickfromdenmark said:
Macspur said:
Mickfromdenmark said:

single

Mac

Thank you for the suggestion towards the Harbeth speakers. Do you have a particular model you are thinking of? But to be honest its gonna take alot of speaker to compete with my Spendors. They might be from the 90's but they can play music.

Personally, I would go for the SHL5 plus or if you could stretch to the 40th Anniversary model

I'm not at all surprised the Spendors sound so good, but if you are able to perhaps take them along to a Harbeth Dealer to make a comparison, or even better get a home demo, it would be worth it.

Mac

www.realmusinet.wordpress.com

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
Accuphase are simply wonderful. Never have I heard such a musicality with poise like in Accuphase. Accuphase with great speakers in many areas is simply invincible.

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
Macspur said:
stereoman said:
Accuphase are simply wonderful. Never have I heard such a musicality with poise like in Accuphase. Accuphase with great speakers in many areas is simply invincible.

You'll get no arguement from me lol!

Mac

I used a few good amps .When I connected even older Accuphase E-205 one day it shocked me how different and "to the point" it played. The treble sophistication is amazing.

rainsoothe

If I ever were to switch, Accuphase, Jadis and Bryston would be my top contenders. Accuphase are just wonderful amps.

On the subject of bi-amping, I recently found that what most of us consider it to be is called "fool's bi-amping" - simply using 2 (or, in the case of tri-amping, 3) power amps into the speaker's 2 (3) sets of binding posts and removing the links. And for this, the general consensus is that most of the time it's not worth it.
As far as I understand, real bi (or tri) amping involves active crossovers, which bypass the passive crossovers in the speakers, and there are real benefits to this method - the speakers are turned into active speakers.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
rainsoothe said:
If I ever were to switch, Accuphase, Jadis and Bryston would be my top contenders. Accuphase are just wonderful amps.

On the subject of bi-amping, I recently found that what most of us consider it to be is called "fool's bi-amping" - simply using 2 (or, in the case of tri-amping, 3) power amps into the speaker's 2 (3) sets of binding posts and removing the links. And for this, the general consensus is that most of the time it's not worth it. As far as I understand, real bi (or tri) amping involves active crossovers, which bypass the passive crossovers in the speakers, and there are real benefits to this method - the speakers are turned into active speakers.

The active crossover is the big plus here.

They do their work at line level using regular components, there is no 'insertion loss' and techniques such as high rolloff rates, response shaping and dsp can all be implemented in a manner far easier than with passive crossovers.

The signal fed to the amps has already been 'crossed over', in that it is already bandwidth limited to the frequency range in question and is of course fed directly from the amp to the driver with no passive crossover in the way.

The better designs integrate all this seemlessly, the advantages include better power transfer, better control and, very often, the ability to adjust for room positioning and acoustics. You can even take it further if you like, use a measurement mic and appropriate software and you can have room correction as well, not that common as yet but Genelec do complete packages from around £1500.

Much as I love playing with hi-end amps like the Accuphase and matching them to great speakers, we are often talking serious money here, plus of course the difficulty of getting hold of such components to try.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
rainsoothe said:

On the subject of bi-amping, I recently found that what most of us consider it to be is called "fool's bi-amping" - simply using 2 (or, in the case of tri-amping, 3) power amps into the speaker's 2 (3) sets of binding posts and removing the links. And for this, the general consensus is that most of the time it's not worth it. As far as I understand, real bi (or tri) amping involves active crossovers, which bypass the passive crossovers in the speakers, and there are real benefits to this method - the speakers are turned into active speakers.

It might be worth adding Electrocompaniet to your list, they have the power and speed of a Bryston the clarity and stability of an Accuphase and the delicacy and 3d imaging of the Jadis.

I am a little biased but it's the truth nonetheless. *smile*

rainsoothe

Electro said:
rainsoothe said:

It might be worth adding Electrocompaniet to your list, they have the power and speed of a Bryston the clarity and stability of an Accuphase and the delicacy and 3d imaging of the Jadis.

Consider me intrigued ;)

@dave - quite informative for me, thank you!

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
rainsoothe said:
Electro said:
rainsoothe said:

Consider me intrigued ;)

You can start your journey of discovery here.*smile*

http://www.enjoy-audio.de/tl_files/download/Electrocompaniet/michael-jackson-and-electrocompaniet---final-v.pdf

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Electro said:
rainsoothe said:
Electro said:
rainsoothe said:

Consider me intrigued ;)

You can start your journey of discovery here.*smile*

http://www.enjoy-audio.de/tl_files/download/Electrocompaniet/michael-jackson-and-electrocompaniet---final-v.pdf
Wow, quite informative. Thanks for the link. We learn everyday. Smiles.

insider9

Electro said:
rainsoothe said:

A little biased? Not even highly biased?

You're all out class A

:biggrin:

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
insider9 said:
Electro said:
rainsoothe said:

A little biased? Not even highly biased?

You're all out class A

:biggrin:

Oi ! I ressemble that remark *biggrin* *i-m_so_happy*

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts