A/V Receiver with good music capability (CD/ mp3...)

Kellytm272

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

My setup is as follows:

Sources: Sky HD, PS3 slim, PC.

Amplifer: Onkyo TX-SR605.

Speakers: Mission 751 freedom front speakers, Mission 77C center speaker, Mission 77DS rear speakers and Acustic Energy Evo sub.

Television: Sony KDS-55A2000.

I listen to CDs, mp3s and lossless audio through my pc, which is connected via coaxial digital output to my amplifier.

Can anyone advise whether the current 'better' A/V receivers in the ~£500 range would offer a reasonable improvement in quality when it comes to playing cds or mp3s, over my Onkyo? And if so, which models would be better.

Due to space restrictions, I cannot use a separate hifi system. And I don't want to take a backward step in terms of movie sound quality.

My previous hifi system consisted Cyrus III amplifier, Marantz CD63 KI Signature & Mission 751's - the sound was impressive and I would like to get as close to this as possible through an A/V receiver. I appreciate that I won't match the sound quality (or likely even come close) of my old hifi system with a cinema amplifier, but would like to know whether I can get an improvement.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Tim

A

Anonymous

hi tim, i would have to say the YAMAHA RXV1065 would be the best choice for you in my opinion, it has now been discounted down to £499 at richer sounds and various other outlets and is very good value for money.
emotion-21.gif

Kellytm272

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the reply.

Had a look on the Richer Sounds website, and it looks like the Yamaha RXV1065, Denon AVR1910, Marantz NR1501 & Sony STRDA2400ES would be the prime candidates. Haven't shortlisted the newer Onkyo, as I guess it will sound similar to my current amp, when listening to cd/ mp3...

Of these, the Marantz looks interesting - I googled it, and it generally had good reviews, although couldn't find a What Hifi review.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts