A significant recommendation to all bookshelf speaker with stands users

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
Hi all. I would like to write here just a piece advice that I came after many many hours of improving the sound ( like most of you ). I started with many things from cables, stands, speaker change etc. After painstakingly approach I discovered one significant change ( sound improvement ) for all who have bookshelves speakers on stands ( I have not tried it with floorstanders ) . It is not 100% my idea of course but rather a combined idea with my personal experience that I tried to find after so many futile approaches. Attention - this one works. So what is all this about ? First of all: it is all about elemination of the cabinet resonance and shaking. For many years I was kinda ignore it but actually it imposes a great influence on sound that under the resonance spoils the frequency response.

1. For all users who use speakers on stands on solid floor.

On the upper plate of the speaker stands throw away conventional thin pads that come in the box with stands and substitute those with 4 at least 1 cm high rubber pads on each upper plate (like those for door or shelf stoppers shaped like cylindrical gummis). On top of all these 4 gummi pads ( they need to be at least 1 cm high ) place 4 antiresonance rubber pads, like these under the link here "http://www.oehlbach.com/de/detail/index/sArticle/93". Or - in case you when you have not those 1cm high gumm pads -then only those shock absorbers from this link. Do not unscrew spikes at the bottom plate. Leave them in place. On the bottom of each spike ( the thin end that touches solid floor or wooden , or panel floor place simple felt pads on each spike. So that the spikes are punched into the felt pads and are isolated from floor. Play some music and hear yourselves. I wonder what results you get. Please mind, in order to improve the sound you need to apply all of these steps , and not partially.

2. With stands on carpet. Leave spikes and allow them to pierce a bit the carpet and do not use of course the felt pads. On the upper plates repeat the steps from the above text.

The resonace that shakes the speaker cabinet has an enormous influence on music and sound distorting the linear frequencies. This is the only solution that worked for me without spending any further costs for cables, speakers etc. Please try this out yourselves. You should have improved imaging, bass and smoother treble response.

Gray

gasolin

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Or you can buy something like these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fonotek-Sorbothane-Hemispheres-Isolation-Adhesive/dp/B015YF2BFC/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_23_tr_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=911Z0MAFDSB52PV3EF2Z

You can get different sizes depending on what weight your speakers are.

I just use BlackTac, speakers don't move anywhere and cabinet vibrations are negligible. Balancing those on top of rubber pads does not seem very secure to me.

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
Guys regarding your answers. First of all they are (shock absorbers) intented to be used for speakers in first instance, especially for bookshelf ! You seem to use them for electronics etc. The pads are made from very solid special rubber. They are working as a damping tool for cabinet shaking that affects and disturbs frequency response and sound overall. Making it distorted. Try it out yourselves. But not generic blu tac or only gummis. Shock absorbers made from rubber plus those gummi pads. Also - as it is very important - you need to isolate the bottom part of the stand and damp it with felt so as to the whole of it does not interfere with resonance. If someone wants to try so please follow exactly what I have written without leaving anything out. I have tried many options. And this seems to be the best.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts