A&K Line Out Function and Voltages

elliswils

Nov 11, 2021
Visit site
A&K DAPs offer a switchable line out function with the ability to select different voltages. What determines which voltage you should use and when should you turn it on? I can find nothing anywhere that explains this and certainly not on the A&K web site or in any of their user manuals.

Many thanks.

elliswils

Nov 11, 2021
Visit site
So in the case of a Cyrus 82 DAC that's:1667964121201.png got it.

When do you turn it on then and is it only when feeding/plugged into an amp, not headphone?

I've been playing my AK SR25 through a 3.5mm to 2 x RCA through the above amp and when I switch line out on/off I cannot hear/tell any discernable difference.

It seems a pointless function yet all the A&K DAPs have it.

So in the case of a Cyrus 82 DAC that's:View attachment 4065 got it.

When do you turn it on then and is it only when feeding/plugged into an amp, not headphone?

I've been playing my AK SR25 through a 3.5mm to 2 x RCA through the above amp and when I switch line out on/off I cannot hear/tell any discernable difference.

It seems a pointless function yet all the A&K DAPs have it.
It's not pointless.
I play mine through a powered external speaker (Dali Katch) and here there is a noticeable difference.
is the Cyrus 82 DAC an amplifier?
.......Ignore that last sentence, I have just Googled it....

elliswils

Nov 11, 2021
Visit site
If the point of the line out is for active speakers, and A&K should make that clear, then I get why you might want to vary the output voltage. For my circumstance, it still seems somewhat pointless.

Gray

Have you compared the A&K and Cyrus DACs by using a digital connection?

And you say the A&K gives the option of different line out voltages. Presumably something (in the manual) tells you the actual voltages that you can choose?
That would allow you to optimise the anologue level into the Cyrus.
(You may as well do that, even though you've so far found no audible difference).

elliswils

Nov 11, 2021
Visit site
All good advise. The A&K has a good half dozen different voltages to choose from.

The A&K SR25 DAC, on paper, is a little less of a performer than the Cyrus QXR but the audible difference is negligible. They are both very good.

I have used the A&K via an 3.5 mm optic cable but again, to my ears, I could not hear a difference between the optical and RCA connection.

Using the different line out voltages to match the other RCA inputs is a good idea. The 82 DAC has the ability to alter the input/output volumes so all the different input noise levels match. Again, never needed to use it, but its there if necessary.

Reactions: Gray and Al ears

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts