65 inch TV vs projector 10ft viewing distance

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Alright so I have decided I want to swap my TV for either a Samsung UE65ES8000 or get a projector with a 96 inch wide screen. In my circumstance what would be the better option, TV or projector. I should state that I have the PC and gaming consoles connected too, so looking for best all round performance

Thanks guys, my gut says TV for practicality.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
This doesn't really answer your question, but I was at my rich doctor sister-in-law's house in August and I saw their television, which was the 55" version of last years flaghip Samsung LED series, the UE55D8000. I was quite impressed with the colour and sharpness and brightness, which were all very good without being over the top. About a month later she bought this year's model, the Samsung UE55ES8000. I've not been back to their house since, but she says that this year's model is significantly better than last year's model. Now, in the last few days, she had upgraded again, buying the very TV that you are considering, the UE65ES8000, and she says that the extra 10 inches really make a difference over even the excellence of the 55" version. As usual, bigboss is correct regarding the best applications of TVs and projectors, but if you get this UE65ES8000, you'll be very happy with it. (And I no longer have the biggest TV among my relations, since her TV is an inch bigger than my own Samsung plasma, damn!)

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
That Samsung is a lovely set. The practicality of the TV over projector may just make me buy the larger screen. I was even considering the P65VT50 instead, Which was going to be the next topic of discussion if I was going down the TV route.

Son of SJ your comment did help a lot.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
We have an Epson on the shop floor and a 106" screen right beside a 65" TV and it is very hard to think of the TV as big. With a bright unit you are getting close to a TV image in terms of brightness and I would urge you to look at the new 2012 models in person ahead of making a decision.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Could I ask your opinion regarding the P65VT50 vs the UE65ES8000, I will be hard for me to see them side by side as richersounds does not have either in stock, they pre order them. I love the look of the Samsung, but this Panasonic is another beast entirely.

Of course this has to fit in with what I use the TV, everything in my signaure is going to be connected to this thing.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
We have the 65Vt fully calibrated and it is quite some display. I haev no experience of Samsung but we are trading in the 65ES8000 this week so I will be able to compare. The VT sets a high benchmark so if the Samsung is similar you will not go wrong with either.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
My only reasoning for the LED is light. I am in a bright room and I hear plasmas don't cope very well. Also worried about image burn when playing games. Any thoughts?

duaplex said:
My only reasoning for the LED is light. I am in a bright room and I hear plasmas don't cope very well. Also worried about image burn when playing games. Any thoughts?

My OH plays a lot of games on our Kuro, for hours at a time. No IR or screen burn after more than three and a half years. Plasmas, due to their inherently faster response rates & better motion handling, are better for games (although other technologies are catching up).

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
duaplex said:
My only reasoning for the LED is light. I am in a bright room and I hear plasmas don't cope very well.

Certainly my sister-in-law's 2011 model Samsung UE55D8000 looked pretty good in quite a bright room in August, although I didn't thind that its black level performance at night was quite as good as my Pioneer 5090, which of course was 200 miles away. I think that the Panasonic 65VT50 is best in a darkened room. Nick at The Home Cinema Centre will shortly be in a fascinating and highly enviable position of being able to compare the Panasonic 65VT50 against the Samsung UE65ES8000 for all sorts of things - performance in bright or dark rooms, motion handling, black level, reception of Freeview and Freesat SD and HD channels, ease of use as a television as opposed to a display for Blu-rays, and 3D performance. What wouldn't interest me, though I readily concede that (most?) other people will differ, is the smart TV and voice and gesture control stuff

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
The voice and motion control on the Samsung is terrible and you need to be in a well lit room to use motion control in the first place, so if your livingroom is like mine and has enery saving style bulbs, then you can forget it. Also I find that the motion control detects my most subtle movement on the couch and suddendly thinks I am trying to control it, can be annoying. I have to agree with you, I switch mine off too, it's a novelty and simply additonal Jam to an already sumptuous cake :)

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Good TV that Kuro. This may tip the scale in favour of the Panasonic, I was always under the impression that plasma was a big no no for games?

I believe I can the get panasonic for the same price, provided richersounds price match the TV with a cheaper deal I found ;)

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Have you not considered having both a TV and PJ in your system? Keep your current TV for normal TV viewing and A PJ for Movies and Sport etc.

I have a 50" Plaz wall mounted for day-today stuff then a 92" electric screen for when I fire up the PJ (Epson EH-TW6000W) with a viewing distance of about 10ft. Best of both worlds IMHO.

8182640865_e9cfd076fe_z.jpg

8193287140_6389efa28a_z.jpg

8192202817_600546ea5b_z.jpg

:dance:

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Hello D.J.KRIME,

The projector / TV combination like yours is the ideal, funds permitting. Just two questions - one, exactly what 92" projector screen have you (and cost?) and two, what happened to the front left/ right speakers in the first photo? They are present in the third photo. Do you not use the front speakers when watching normal TV? It must be a bit of a drag, literally, bringing them in and out of the room depending on whether you are watching the TV or the projector screen?

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Son_of_SJ said:
Hello D.J.KRIME,

The projector / TV combination like yours is the ideal, funds permitting. Just two questions - one, exactly what 92" projector screen have you (and cost?) and two, what happened to the front left/ right speakers in the first photo? They are present in the third photo. Do you not use the front speakers when watching normal TV? It must be a bit of a drag, literally, bringing them in and out of the room depending on whether you are watching the TV or the projector screen?

The lack of the speakers in one of the pictures is simply down to the fact I took these pics during my room revamp due to the arrival of the PJ and had not put them back into the system yet in the first picture, so yes I use the speakers all the time (actually never used the speaker on the Plaz!)

As for the screen I got it off good old eBay from Platinum screens at just over £100 with a gain of 1.1 so good for both viewing with ambient light and in the dark.

You mention about funds permiting son_of_sj but in fact if you all ready have a TV it's IMHO actually cheeper to get a PJ and screen rather than a 65" TV, you see My PJ retails at about £1500 then add say £250 for the screen,mount and cables as where the 65"VT50 is well over £3000.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
The_Lhc - I was going to buy a projector screen that could be mounted in a bay window, and get darker curtains, If i went down that route. I was considering options, but yes I purchased the LED due to light, at the time. Since then, I have sorted out the light problem.

Having said the above I have opted for the 65inch P65VT50. I know its more expensive, but I wanted something I would be using for everything, rather than half and half.

Hopefully when Red Lazer hits I will go for one then >)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts