7.1.2 or 7.1.4 for 16 feet viewing distance?

I met with a home cinema installer for my new house (ready by December). The living room is 12'4" X 16'1".

He suggested using the top wall for home cinema (TV with drop down acoustically transparent projector screen and in-wall speakers from Monitor Audio Trimless 200 series).

Effectively, that gives an almost 16 feet viewing distance. I'm thinking of going for an 8 feet screen.

My original plan was using the other wall, with 12 feet viewing distance. So 7.1.2 speakers for Dolby Atmos would've been ideal. But with a 16 feet viewing distance, is 7.1.4 setup better?

The fronts and centre will be in-wall speakers and the rest will be in-ceiling. I'm also thinking of going for MA in-wall sub.

Going for 7.1.4 would also mean opting for Yamaha RX-A3040 instead of 2040.

Thoughts?

F

FunkyMonkey

I recently installed 7.1.4 for a 13 foot viewing distance. It just looks right in the ceiling.

100inch screen. That's 8'4"

F

FunkyMonkey

They are laying the underfloor heating and screed in next week or so, so another month before I can test all the signal paths. Exciting stuff. Glad someone else is on similar journey. Thumbs up.

buzz_lightclick

bigboss said:

Thoughts?

You seem to be set on a Yamaha receiver again. I guess you have demoed the likes of a Pioneer Sc-lx87 (though the 88 will be out by the time you buy), Arcam AVR750 or Anthem Mrx710 etc?

buzz_lightclick said:
bigboss said:

Thoughts?

You seem to be set on a Yamaha receiver again. I guess you have demoed the likes of a Pioneer Sc-lx87 (though the 88 will be out by the time you buy), Arcam AVR750 or Anthem Mrx710 etc?

Of the AV receivers you've mentioned, only Pioneer LX88 supports Dolby Atmos. I personally didn't like Pioneer-Monitor Audio combination (bright for my taste). Yamaha partners beautifully with Monitor Audio when I demoed it with Monitor Audio Silver series (on which the Trimless 200 series is based).

ideal av

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
you seem set on MA`s
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

i`d definatley recommend fitting 4 inceiling speakers in that distance, I can`t say i`d recommend fitting those though
cry_smile.gif

Yes. I've been wowed by the Silver series, and Trimless 200 is the in-wall & in-ceiling version of Silver series. :)

MK is way beyond my budget.

Due to the seating position, and the fact that Yamaha RX-A3040 doesn't support 7.1.4, I've decided on 7.1.2. Will be a lot easier to install as well.

buzz_lightclick

bigboss said:
Yes. I've been wowed by the Silver series, and Trimless 200 is the in-wall & in-ceiling version of Silver series. :)

Due to the seating position, and the fact that Yamaha RX-A3040 doesn't support 7.1.4, I've decided on 7.1.2. Will be a lot easier to install as well.

Perhaps a reason to consider a different receiver after all?

buzz_lightclick

bigboss said:
buzz_lightclick said:
bigboss said:

Thoughts?

Of the AV receivers you've mentioned, only Pioneer LX88 supports Dolby Atmos. I personally didn't like Pioneer-Monitor Audio combination (bright for my taste). Yamaha partners beautifully with Monitor Audio when I demoed it with Monitor Audio Silver series (on which the Trimless 200 series is based).

Ha - good point. I guess I meant the next variant of the other models that does support Dolby Atmos!

Personally I've never found Pioneer and Monitor Audio to sound bright, and I think with the LX87 it was found by reviewers to be less bright than previous models in any case, so I expect the 88 to follow in a similar vein.

buzz_lightclick said:
bigboss said:

Perhaps a reason to consider a different receiver after all?

The only true 11.2 receiver is an Onkyo which runs hot. Not suitable for my install. Besides, it is very expensive.

If you look at my other thread (New house, new plans), the speakers at the back were getting very crowded with side surrounds, rear surrounds and rear Atmos speakers all confined to small area. The Atmos speakers will end up being on the proper ceiling instead of false ceiling, making it a more complicated install and leakage of sound to the room above.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
My point was.to.suggest that. a settee against a back wall is far from ideal. 1/2 to 2/3 is preferable but 'best' position is found on t' web. Just a suggestion. Cheers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts