4k ultra hd v oled.which will win

farawaydave

Oct 2, 2008
Visit site
As with two competing technologies one will fail and the other will become standard and affordable.Remerber VHS/Betamax and bluray/HDDVD.I figure 2 years until we know.Any comments?

Tarxman

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
Not only that, but I believe we'll be seeing 4K OLED tvs this coming year or so. 4K is definitely happening, resolution will always improve, but having seen OLED in action, I certainly hope it ends up being the tv technology.

Becky_Roberts

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Both are happening, but more focus seems to be with 4K/LCD (LED) at the moment due to its market demand. Both Sony and Panasonic are, for the mean time, halting OLED production - it seems too costly and inefficient right now. At this stage it's mainly LG that's pushing Ultra HD 4K OLEDs and (hopefully) it's only a matter of time before 4K OLEDs enter into the mass market properly. We'll be sure to let you know as and when they do...

http://www.whathifi.com/news/lg-to-expand-ultra-hd-oled-tv-range-at-ces-2014

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
John Duncan said:
I suspect the first 'we' is the magazine, and the second 'we' is meant to read 'they'.

Hello and welcome to the forum btw, Becky :)

I am as ever indebted to m'learned friend for the clarification.

And good to see the boys and girls sticking a toe in the muddy pond, however anonymously.

EDIT: Rats! Beaten to it again by Mr Collider!

D

Deleted member 2457

Becky_Roberts said:
Both are happening, but more focus seems to be with 4K/LCD (LED) at the moment due to its market demand. Both Sony and Panasonic are, for the mean time, halting OLED production - it seems too costly and inefficient right now. At this stage it's mainly LG that's pushing Ultra HD 4K OLEDs and (hopefully) it's only a matter of time before 4K OLEDs enter into the mass market properly. We'll be sure to let you know as and when they do...

http://www.whathifi.com/news/lg-to-expand-ultra-hd-oled-tv-range-at-ces-2014

Welcome. :wave:

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
I can't see it happening.

Yeah, they said that about pulling out of plasma. But the idea that whatever Panasonic backs will succeed is just nonsense: it used to have about 6% global TV market share, and I'm sure that number is now even smaller. Panasonic's now well on the wrong side of 5%, behind Sony, TCL, Toshiba and Hisense.

So when it comes to Panasonic's TV market influence, that ship sailed a long tome ago.

What Samsung (19%), or LG (14%), or the Chinese manufacturers (big six brands together accounting for over 20% of the market) decide to back – now we're talking!

And right now LG is looking increasingly like a lone OLED voice in a wilderness strewn with LED-lit LCD screens.

D

Deleted member 2457

spiny norman said:
gel said:

Yeah, they said that about pulling out of plasma. But the idea that whatever Panasonic backs will succeed is just nonsense: it used to have about 6% global TV market share, and I'm sure that number is now even smaller. Panasonic's now well on the wrong side of 5%, behind Sony, TCL, Toshiba and Hisense.

So when it comes to Panasonic's TV market influence, that ship sailed a long tome ago.

What Samsung (19%), or LG (14%), or the Chinese manufacturers (big six brands together accounting for over 20% of the market) decide to back – now we're talking!

And right now LG is looking increasingly like a lone OLED voice in a wilderness strewn with LED-lit LCD screens.

Interesting stats, Norman. I still reckon Panasonic will be the favourite amongst AV buffs though, if not TV owners in general.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
I still reckon Panasonic will be the favourite amongst AV buffs though, if not TV owners in general.

Yeah, and doesn't that sound like a business plan? 'OK guys, we're going for a small percentage of a small percentage of a niche market – this time next year, Rodney-san, we'll be miwyunaires'

:doh: ;)

D

Deleted member 2457

spiny norman said:
gel said:
I still reckon Panasonic will be the favourite amongst AV buffs though, if not TV owners in general.

Yeah, and doesn't that sound like a business plan? 'OK guys, we're going for a small percentage of a small percentage of a niche market – this time next year, Rodney-san, we'll be miwyunaires'

:)

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Andy Clough said:
The_Lhc said:
Becky_Roberts said:
We'll be sure to let you know as and when we do...

Who is "we" in this context please?

Becky is our new staff writer, I'll remind her to add that to her signature as per House Rules.

Cool, apologies if that came across as a little accusing, I thought we had a foreign agent sneaking in for a second... #keepempeeled

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
spiny norman said:
gel said:

Interesting stats, Norman. I still reckon Panasonic will be the favourite amongst AV buffs though, if not TV owners in general.

i certainly wont be buying their kit again!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
spiny norman said:
gel said:

Certainly didn't do Pioneer any favours...

T

theflyingwasp

Wether it's 4k oled or 4k led it's only going to be the home cinema enthusiast that buys them .the majority of people are still getting their heads round blu ray never mind 4k (why buy blu ray when the DVD is £5-£10 cheaper)

If to get the best out of 4k the screen has to be 70-80 inch I doubt most people's partners will allow a tv of that size in the home ,those size of screens will NEVER become the norm .

we have all seen the display models playing native 4k on a demo loop in stores ,yeah it looks great but for me until the proper 4k versions of my favourite films come out I'm not interested .besides my calibrated panasonic ZT has a black level of 0.00088 and has an awesome picture.if a 55 inch 4k led is £5000 ish I am going to have a heck of a long wait till a 80 inch 4k oled is at the 3-4 grand mark .

i wouldn't bet on either format winning those in the know are waiting for 4k oled and those who have shelled out 4-6 grand for a 4k led I'd put my tv up against them for picture quality.they should have just saved themselves quite a bit of cash and just bought the current flagship models available from samsung and panasonic!

TRENDING THREADS