4K TV wanted

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
From what I’ve been told all OLED panels are largely the same. The differences between the different brands are hugely overstated in reviews.
From how I read them, and the last WHF was largely about screens, the differences are stated as being small but noticeable. One testing scene from Blade Runner 2049 shows that LG's motion processing isn't quite as good as Sony's, and whilst I haven't seen the latter, I agree with the (albeit minor) issue with the former. You pick what feels like the best compromise for what matters to you, including the prices available at the time.

Reactions: Al ears
D

Deleted member 196519

From how I read them, and the last WHF was largely about screens, the differences are stated as being small but noticeable. One testing scene from Blade Runner 2049 shows that LG's motion processing isn't quite as good as Sony's, and whilst I haven't seen the latter, I agree with the (albeit minor) issue with the former. You pick what feels like the best compromise for what matters to you, including the prices available at the time.
Colours are different too. LG black levels like you say are incredible, on a Sony or Panasonic OLED they look dull in comparison. From what I know all the reviewers buy LG OLED TVs too.

D

Deleted member 196519

This month's comparison suggests that the Philips is slightly better than the LG overall, and the blacks are described in equally positive terms.
That’s good. I have never seen a Philips OLED in my home environment but thought it maybe good.

dhp

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
A question for all you TV guru's.

My brother wants a 4K TV to replace his Panasonic 50" plasma, screen size up to 65" with c£2K to spend. He's not a gamer and mainly watches terrestrial TV stations + Prime. Reading here I've heard good things about OLED vs plasma and also good things about Panasonic.

Apart from going to see TV's in the flesh what would be your recommendations so I can compile a short-list for him?

Any thoughts are warmly welcomed. Thank you all in advance.

I mainly watch movies and some TV and I'm going to be in the Market for a new 4K TV . I'm going for a Panasonic OLED :)

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
I am still using two late Panasonics ie 7th and 8th gen ones one has the Black mask on it makes blacks be natural / The problem of replacement . Is you get , more than likely, a poorly made Chinese product , which at most will last 3 years . Do you buy a cheaper one ? ie less than £800 or more expensive Personally i go for a LG SONY Try to keep away from anything from China

I am still using two late Panasonics ie 7th and 8th gen ones one has the Black mask on it makes blacks be natural / The problem of replacement . Is you get , more than likely, a poorly made Chinese product , which at most will last 3 years . Do you buy a cheaper one ? ie less than £800 or more expensive Personally i go for a LG SONY Try to keep away from anything from China
Chinese products do not automatically mean poor quality. They will make anything to spec. If you want it made cheap, they will make it for you. If you want it best built, they will make it for you. iPhones are made in China and they're amongst the best built phones out there. My B&O H95 headphones are easily the best built headphones I've ever owned (metal and leather) and they're made in China too.

daveh75

Chinese products do not automatically mean poor quality. They will make anything to spec. If you want it made cheap, they will make it for you. If you want it best built, they will make it for you. iPhones are made in China and they're amongst the best built phones out there. My B&O H95 headphones are easily the best built headphones I've ever owned (metal and leather) and they're made in China too.

Shanghai built Tesla's have far more consistent and better build quality than their US built counterparts too, which can be shocking

Reactions: bigboss
D

Deleted member 196519

Sony and Philips (iirc) win gongs for TVs this year, with LG getting one as best gaming set. Though like I say, reported differences are not that great.
When TVs are calibrated especially OLED TVs they do tend to look the same.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts