Smaller 4k TV needed

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
Hi all. Shortly i'm going to take the plunge into Sky Q and need a TV that can cope with the 4k, HDR etc signal that it can put out. Size is an issue, i dont think i can go above 44 inches or so unless its one of the curved Samsungs. I'm not too bothered about make though all other things being equal i would have a Sony i suppose. I also have amazon prime TV and at some stage may go for Netflix. Budget is up to £2k but would prefer to spend less than that. I dont intend replacing the TV for at least 5 years so some kind of future proofing would be good. Sound doesnt matter. I dont mind between OLED and LCD or QLED, just want a great picture.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I would question the need for 4k below 49". A top of the range Full HD set will probably be as good if not better, not to mention cheaper.

As to size, I steadfast refused to consider anything larger than 49". Got a 49 then changed it to a 55 and would not go back. On the other hand I don't think I'd go bigger either as anything but 4k looks a little ropey on 65 +. Low resolution terrestrial broadcasts will be almost unwatchable.

55 is, IMHO the sweet spot for normal rooms.

abacus

Can you go for a projector and screen, (You can get portable screens if you cannot have a permanent one) as there is no substitute for size when it comes to watching a good film, (Anything less than 65” is pretty pointless (Except for Bargain Hunt or the News) as you lose all of the cinematic experience) you can then keep your current TV for general viewing.

As mentioned above anything less than 50” is pointless for 4K as you will notice no difference between that and HD. (Except in the wallet)

Bill

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
From WHAT facts that we have just now as to do with 4K ....... smaller sets show no great benefit when watching via them. ?

It would seem that as with HD...... only sets above a certain size ...... can benefit ?

Going smaller, from all that there is to READ about....... HD Tv will suffice ?

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
I've measured up and i can just, but only just, get a 49" TV in. Its easier if it is one of the curved Samsungs. Any suggestions for a good 49 incher curved or uncurved that would make a difference with 4k TV? The smaller version of the Samsung that drummerman has or the equivalent Sony seem good

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
'Size is an issue, i dont think i can go above 44 inches or so unless its one of the curved Samsungs' ehh ?

Right Now me and my wife sit like 8 foot away from our 58" Pana TV......... some leader from three years ago.... anyway,

this week or so (I keep on putting it off, dummo as to why tbh ?)

WE will be seeing many movies in HD and 3D via a projector........ 4K is real nice via the 4k TV, but watching 3d-movies from about 9 foot away, my, this grabs our attention.... for sure !

Just go bigger, you will not regret in doing so.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Has anyone noted the fact that shep cannot find room for anything larger than 49” at a pinch? (He has measured.)

It also seems likely - given the lack of room - that he is watching from up very close, so 4k resolution may be effective.

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
I myself regularly learn from folks such as you fellow's on this platforn or by reading or a mixture of what is being said online like..... I have friends who all say that they cannot even see the difference between HD and 4K (I can, my TV is 58").... most have like 40 + " but none over 50. (not day to day friends, online ones)

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
chebby said:
Has anyone noted the fact that shep cannot find room for anything larger than 49” at a pinch? (He has measured.)

It also seems likely - given the lack of room - that he is watching from up very close, so 4k resolution may be effective.
I'm over 2 metres away from the TV. The lounge (and wife) dictates where the TV has to be and its in a corner next to the hifi so 49" is the max. My sky box is on its last legs so sky Q is the logical replacement hence the interest in a new TV.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts