utterly confused over new tv choices

simon190675

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

My daughter recently decided that it would be a good idea to swing a skipping rope into my Panasonic TX-37LZD70!! I loved this TV and thought the picture quality was great, and had no plans on changing it. However, I obviously need to buy a new TV now and am utterly confused by the range of tvs available now.

I have a bugdet of about £800 (i don't need to spend it all! :) ), i use the TV mainly for watch Sky HD, occaisionally Blu-rays. My boys are constantly nagning me to buy a games console so i need to take that into consideration. Due to our current internet connection, which is apauling, we do not stream anything. However in a month or 2 we will be getting fibre which may change that :) I do not see the point of the Smart TV portals, I'm not sure that i would use it, but that maybe just because i don't have it at the moment. 3D is not a requirement, if it has it then we may use it, but i doubt it.

What i am after is a TV with a great picture, that i will enjoy watching now and in the future. It maybe just beacause i have set it up well but i think the picture on my current tv is better than any other i get to watch. With the new slim bezels i think i could go up in size, i can go up to about 1100mm in width.

TV's that i have short listed so far, based on recommendations/reviews:
  • - Samsung 40uh6900 4K - thinking future proofing. I know that content is not available yet but I'm guessing before i replace this TV it will be common place.
  • - Samsung UE48H6400 - It has good reviews, and is much bigger is size than the current TV but is about the same dimensions! Not sure if it will be better to go bigger though?
  • - Panasonic tx-42as740b - Popped into Sevenoaks Sound and Vision and the guy recommended it. Looked like a good picture, from the quick look i had.
The only one i could find a review on is the UE48H6400. Any help would be greatly appreiciated.

Pikman

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Go large :)

Consider the Sony KLD50W829 too, 800 or less at most places now, also with a sound bar. I am in the same boat as you and looking at the Sammy 48 and the Sony. Also not interested in 3D or smart features as we have it all in other boxes. As I am into gaming, really I am waiting for the Sony to drop in price :)

I am dreading the day when our little boy stands up and starts to reach for the TV, then learns to throw things...

D

Deleted member 2457

This Samsung is only £600 at Currys and get John Lewis to price match:

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd-blu-ray/televisions/large-screen-tvs-32-and-over/samsung-ue48h6400-smart-3d-48-led-tv-22074703-pdt.html?gclid=CNz4w6--ob8CFUTItAodpS0A0w&srcid=198&cmpid=ppc~gg~~~Exact&mctag=gg_goog_7904&s_kwcid=AL!3391!3!51341905524!!!g!59281609051!&ef_id=U7BZogAAALbJyEGJ:20140630112411:s

D

Deleted member 2457

Bigger definitely better, and then you have money left over for the games console.

wolf7howl

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
Unless you intend to make use of streaming, 4K is a long way off and probably will not be broadcasted until you are ready to replace your next buy. General opinion sems to be that Panasonic have better pictures and Samsung have better smart toys. You are best doing some window shopping and see what you prefer.

Smart portals allow the subscription services that are putting Blockbuster out of business and access to the various on demand replayer services of the terestial broadcasters.

There are some forum posts for the as740 at:

http://www.avforums.com/threads/panasonic-as740-led-tv-owners-thread.1881693/

Hope this helps

simon190675

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
Thank you for the comments so far.

Pikman, i did look at the Sony KLD50W829 and it looks great, unfortunatley its just too big to fit where i need it to go. The 48inch Samsung will just about fit.

Gel i like the idea having extra funds to buy the console, and i'm sure my boys would agree :)

wolf7howl, thanks for the opinion on 4K, and also going to see it at the weekend, i'm thinking it's too small. Also no one seems to have any demo content for it.

I did come across another option and that is the Sony 46W905, which seems to get great reviews across the board especially on Picture Quality. Also will fit the space perfectly and is obviously a bigger option that the Panasonic i was looking at. John Lewis currently have it at £799, which seems to be a steal. What are peoples opionion on this, even though its last years model?

Pikman

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
From what I understand and what is swaying me towards the Sony also, is that they have the lowest lag and are therefore most suited to gaming.

Honestly I'm not sure if I would notice the difference!

simon190675

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
Pikman, to be honest i feel the same as you. Would i really notice the difference between them?

With that i mind, what would people's thoughts of the Sony 46W905 vs the Sony 42W829?

I'm guessing the same thoughts of bigger is better? The 46 i can get from JL for £799, the 42 Sevenoaks S&V have it for £599 with free sound bar. I can't find a review on the 42w829, plenty on the 50w829. I must admit i am leaning towards the 46, i just need to find somewhere where i can view it.

Pikman

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
This article might help or as in my case, confuse things a little more.

Literally just googled how noticable input lag is. I have an old Sharp TV and although it says the lag is 5ms I seriously doubt it! I don't play FPS's though, I'm more of a Nintendo guy so I don't think it would matter much to me. Never noticed any problems.

I doubt you would be unhappy with any of the TV's :)

Also, if it helps we sit about 2.5m from a 46" TV and that size is fine. I'm hoping to move up a little next time too...

simon190675

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
Well i took the plunge and ordered the 46W905 yesterday from John Lewis, it should arrive tomorrow. :)

I know its a risky to buy a TV without first seeing it, but i couldn't find anyone with one on display! John Lewis said if i wasn't happy with it they would be happy for me to return it, but fingers crossed its as good as everyone says. And for £799 it seems like a steal :)

essentialmix1971

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site
Hi im in the same boat as some people on here,could you post when you have seen the picture quality etc of the sony W9 46" what your thoughts are on said tv.i was thinking of buying it myself,or the samsung 6400.cheers

essentialmix1971

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site
Hi im in the same boat as some people on here,could you post when you have seen the picture quality etc of the sony W9 46" what your thoughts are on said tv.i was thinking of buying it myself,or the samsung 6400.cheers

TRENDING THREADS