4K projectors

jcshutts

Mar 22, 2008
Visit site
Just waiting for a good 4K projector under £2k so I never have to upgrade again *acute*

any prospects for 2016???

how long do these new technologies normally take to spread across the piste? It does seem to be taking some time for 4K to be the standard in projectors and yet TVs are all 4K now pretty much??

abacus

My guess would be 2017/18 for the price you mention, and it probably still wont have the latest features, thus you will probably need to go to £3k to get those. (Or wait a year or two more)

Hopefully I'm wrong, but I wouln't get your hopes up.

Bill

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Yup, I think that'll be a bit of a wait - and Sony don't seem to be rushing whilst other PJ manufacturers don't seem to be in a rush to join them. I think once Epson/JVC etc pull their finger out, you'll see prices creep down a little faster, but that will also rely on the actual cost of the technology. The flipside to that is that what you don't want to happen is the emergence of corner cut UHD PJs - you don't want the upscaling to be naff.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Your looking at 2-3 years minimum for a 4k projector at 2k judging by the current price.

For one with all the bells and whistles Espec

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
jcshutts said:
Just waiting for a good 4K projector under £2k so I never have to upgrade again *acute*

Hmmm, never is a long time ....

jcshutts said:
It does seem to be taking some time for 4K to be the standard in projectors and yet TVs are all 4K now pretty much??

By that you mean, I assume, that all TVs that are now being sold in the shops are 4K (which is not quite right, I don't think - we on this forum are very much a minority), and many people, indeed most, are quite happy with Full HD, assuming that they've even heard of 4K. Further, you forget that the vast majority of TVs that are in people's homes right now, in late 2015, will not be 4K. Some of them may not even be Full HD resolution! The one in my bedroom (Pioneer 428XD) certainly isn't!

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I think you're going to see 4K TVs go up in size and reduce / stay at the same price, while 4K projectors come down in price, as the two options compete. Realistically, only Sony are in the true 4K projector market right now (whether they have a patent or something or not I don't know), so Panasonic, LG, etc. etc. will be pushing bigger TVs until they too can get into the true 4K projector business.

Remember with a projector you need to factor in the price of a decent screen, which can run to over a thousand Pounds, plus the cost of replacing the bulbs every ten minutes (if my old DLP TV is anything to go by, especially if your "little darlings" start playing video games on the thing).

Right now the crossover point for projector vs TV is at about the price point of an 85 inch 4K TV. I could, if I check down the back of the sofa (well, lots and lots of other peoples' sofas), buy a Samsung UN85JU7100 on Amazon for US$9,000. A Sony VPLVW350ES will cost me $8000 and the 365 $10,000. And I would be budgeting on another $1500 for a 4K audio-transparent screen on top.

By the time I have the cash to buy either, I expect a 100 or even 110 inch 4K TV and a 4K projector setup to be about the same. Given the biggest screen I could comfortably fit in my HT rooom is 120 inches, I'll probably go for a big TV.

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
jcshutts said:

any prospects for 2016???

how long do these new technologies normally take to spread across the piste? It does seem to be taking some time for 4K to be the standard in projectors and yet TVs are all 4K now pretty much??

You might not have to upgrade for a long time but you will have to eventually upgrade as that's what the the companies who make this stuff want you to do. Their numnber number one goal is to get you to part with your money.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
abacus said:
Looks like Optoma may be about to throw a spanner in the works https://www.avforums.com/news/optoma-4k-ultra-hd-and-laser-projectors-at-ise-2016.12172

Bill

This could be a market changer if it's good and realistically priced - but needs to be 12 bit and do hdr to be all singing all dancing.

If it does can't see it being cheap if it's cheaper then something is surely going to give

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
ellisdj said:
abacus said:
Looks like Optoma may be about to throw a spanner in the works https://www.avforums.com/news/optoma-4k-ultra-hd-and-laser-projectors-at-ise-2016.12172

Bill

If it does can't see it being cheap if it's cheaper then something is surely going to give

If the JVC DLP TV I once bought (when 1080p was the bee's knees) is anything to go by, you'll be replacing expensive, very expensive, DLP bulb assemblies faster than some of us change our socks....

abacus

Benedict_Arnold said:
ellisdj said:
abacus said:
Looks like Optoma may be about to throw a spanner in the works https://www.avforums.com/news/optoma-4k-ultra-hd-and-laser-projectors-at-ise-2016.12172

Bill

If the JVC DLP TV I once bought (when 1080p was the bee's knees) is anything to go by, you'll be replacing expensive, very expensive, DLP bulb assemblies faster than some of us change our socks....

4000-6000 hrs lamp life is typical these days, as things have moved on since the JVC you mention.

Bill

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
abacus said:
Benedict_Arnold said:
ellisdj said:
abacus said:

Bill

4000-6000 hrs lamp life is typical these days, as things have moved on since the JVC you mention.

Bill

I think as much of the problem was the "little cherubs" switching the thing on and off every ten minutes as it was about out-and-out longevity.

I'm still very wary of DLP setups, especially if they get switched on and off (probably improperly) over and over and over again.

As the sizes go up and the prices go down, large size 4K TVs look more and more attractive to me over projectors. In a 19 ft x 14 ft media room I really can't go much bigger than a 100, 110 or perhaps a 120 inch TV. Yeah, I know, deprived, right?

DID I JUST SAY THAT???

120 inch TELEVISION????

When I was a kid my parents' TWENTY-SIX inch TV was considered huge!!!

jcshutts

Mar 22, 2008
Visit site
Benedict_Arnold said:
And I would be budgeting on another $1500 for a 4K audio-transparent screen on top.

By the time I have the cash to buy either, I expect a 100 or even 110 inch 4K TV and a 4K projector setup to be about the same. Given the biggest screen I could comfortably fit in my HT rooom is 120 inches, I'll probably go for a big TV.

4k PJ screen. Ummm hadn't figured that one. Surely not????

The only good thing as a comparison to having a 100 plus inch projector screen against a TV is you can retract the screen out of view if you chose too.

jcshutts

Mar 22, 2008
Visit site
I get the sense though that even average consumers (if there is such a category) are choosing 4K TVs now. I was amazed to find a colleague at work who is just this side of 60 years old, stating that his new tv had to be 4K. Not that this is a particularly good market indicator and it's not about ageism either. I've just found a number of people around me buying new TVs and choosing 4K to ensure they are future proofed.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
jcshutts said:
I get the sense though that even average consumers (if there is such a category) are choosing 4K TVs now. I was amazed to find a colleague at work who is just this side of 60 years old, stating that his new tv had to be 4K. Not that this is a particularly good market indicator and it's not about ageism either. I've just found a number of people around me buying new TVs and choosing 4K to ensure they are future proofed.

My paternal grandmother had her cataracts done at 92. Then went out and bought the biggest brightest colour TV she could find. In those days a 36 inch cathode ray tube job.

She was a big fan of snooker. Well, of young mens' behinds bending over snooker tables, anyway....

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Son_of_SJ said:
By that you mean, I assume, that all TVs that are now being sold in the shops are 4K (which is not quite right, I don't think - we on this forum are very much a minority), and many people, indeed most, are quite happy with Full HD, assuming that they've even heard of 4K. Further, you forget that the vast majority of TVs that are in people's homes right now, in late 2015, will not be 4K. Some of them may not even be Full HD resolution! The one in my bedroom (Pioneer 428XD) certainly isn't!

On this side of the Altantic you actually have to go to the back of the shop and look very hard to find a 1080p TV on display these days. You can barely find one in BestBuy. Even Conns (very apt with their interest rates) and Aarons Rentals (think Radio Rentals of thirty or forty years ago) are pushing 4K TVs.

By early 2016 I think all the 1080p sets will have been sold and gone for good. 4K TVs now sell for what 1080p sets did three or four years ago, after all.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
jcshutts said:
Benedict_Arnold said:
And I would be budgeting on another $1500 for a 4K audio-transparent screen on top.

4k PJ screen. Ummm hadn't figured that one. Surely not????

The only good thing as a comparison to having a 100 plus inch projector screen against a TV is you can retract the screen out of view if you chose too.

Might be snake oil, might be not, but over on AVForums.com, the concensus seems to be you need a better screen for 4K than you do for 1080p, and audi-transparency, well, that speaks for itself. And about $1500 is a middling price.

As for me, the screen or the TV will be going in a dedicated home theatre room, so I won't be using a roll-up or roll-down screen. Too many memories of grandparents' super 8 home movies....

I want something taut, firm, fixed to the wall. The "billowing sails" effects when watching POTC I can do without. The projector will be screwed to the ceiling so it's not like I'll be moving viewing from one room to another anyway.

Few points that haven't been mentioned before:

1) Electricity consumption of a large TV vs projector?

2) Reflections from a large TV vs projector?

3) Eye strain from direct light of a huge source (TV) vs reflected light from a projector screen?

4) How will the huge TV screen get in the house?

I don't understand why the price and quality of an acoustically transparent projector screen is considered as a negative vs TV. It's not as if the speakers can be placed behind the TV! Non-AT screens are cheaper and unlikely to be affected by increased resolution of 4K (as there are no perforations in the screen).

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Benedict_Arnold said:
Son_of_SJ said:

On this side of the Altantic you actually have to go to the back of the shop and look very hard to find a 1080p TV on display these days. You can barely find one in BestBuy. Even Conns (very apt with their interest rates) and Aarons Rentals (think Radio Rentals of thirty or forty years ago) are pushing 4K TVs.

By early 2016 I think all the 1080p sets will have been sold and gone for good. 4K TVs now sell for what 1080p sets did three or four years ago, after all.

how can you say that? 1080p wont be gone "completely" for years and years. hell even HD ready 720p tv's are still popular under £200.

nugget2014 said:
Benedict_Arnold said:
Son_of_SJ said:

On this side of the Altantic you actually have to go to the back of the shop and look very hard to find a 1080p TV on display these days.  You can barely find one in BestBuy.  Even Conns (very apt with their interest rates) and Aarons Rentals (think Radio Rentals of thirty or forty years ago) are pushing 4K TVs.

By early 2016 I think all the 1080p sets will have been sold and gone for good.  4K TVs now sell for what 1080p sets did three or four years ago, after all.

how can you say that? 1080p wont be gone "completely" for years and years. hell even HD ready 720p tv's are still popular under £200.

Benedict_Arnold lives in the US. Maybe it's different there.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
nugget2014 said:
Benedict_Arnold said:
Son_of_SJ said:

Same way black and white, and even cathode ray TVs in general, hung around for years after people starting buying colour and flat screens.

It doesn't mean that no-one's going to continue using them while they still work, there won't be landfills full of the things any time soon, but most major retail chains here in the US have all but stopped selling them.

Our kids "only" have 1080p sets, 40-inchers. When I was a kid the main TV in the house was a 625 line colour cathode ray tube job that weighed at least a hundredweight. If I wanted to watch one of the three channels we could get I had to ask to borrow the family 12-inch black-and-white, turn-the knob-knob-tuned, ran-off-a-car-battery portable. I didn't get a proper TV of my own until I left universtiy.

TImes change.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts