4K projectors

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
www.bestbuy.com

if you want to see what's being sold in stores here and at what prices.

Before you get too envious of the prices, remember these prices are before sales tax (VAT), which in Texas is 8.25%.

I can think of three Bestbuy stores within ten miles of my house. It's kind of like Currys or Dixons (as they were) in the UK - practically one in every high street.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
tvspecv said:
when it comes to upscale tvs will have upperhand in 4k still

I tend to agree, but it's at what price point people contemplating a 4K projector vs a 4K TV will be prepared to accept the (possibly) lower image quality of a projector. As I said, a middling Sony 4K projector currently costs US$10,000, and you can budget on around US$1,500 to US$2,000 for a good fixed screen. Then there's the 30 foot HDMI cable, the ceiling mounting, etc. etc., so you're probably looking at US$12,000 for, say, a 100 to 120 inch 4K projector setup.

The biggest 4K TV I can find on line (quickly) is a 98 inch LG, price US30,000 on Amazon. Step down to 90 inch and US$6,600 to US$7,000 will buy you a 2014 Sharp.

In the New Year (after the Superbowl, I'm told), the new 2016 TVs will come out an I expect to be able to get (or rather I would expect to be able to get if I had the cash) a good brand 100 incher for about $10,000. I don't expect 4K projector prices to drop much as there's no real alternative to Sony right now. So in 2016 the tipping point will be whether or not you really want a picture bigger than 100 inches or not. If you do, you'll have to wait another year or two for even bigger TVs to be at sensible prices or go for a projector.

Allowing for speakers either side of the TV or screen, my 14 foot 6 wide home theatre room will take a 100 incher (7 foot 3 ish wide) without any problems, a 120 (8 foot 9 ish wide) only just, but the heights mean they'll have to be set pretty high up on the wall if people in the back row will be able to see the bottom half of the screen. Then there's the "Wimbledon effect" as I call it - moving your head left and right to watch the action like you were actually sitting in the Centre Court grandstand. So right now, I'm seriously thinking 100 inch TV in 2016 rather than a possibly inferior project setup, or waiting until nearly 2020 for a 120+ inch TV at an affordable price

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
You don't get worse image quality from a sony 4k pj compared to a tv.

The Sony 4k pj's produce by far the best image I have ever seen.
There are benefits to tv's but I am yet to see one I prefer to the Sony 4k PJ.

I have just got mine fully dialled in and in a semi blackened out room the image is spectacular and far more immersive than any tv will do even sat close like i do at about 8-9 feet.

The upscaler in the 4k PJ is amazing as well.

Just need to blacken the room down properly to get the full contrast but this is true of all pj's

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
ellisdj said:
You don't get worse image quality from a sony 4k pj compared to a tv.

The Sony 4k pj's produce by far the best image I have ever seen. There are benefits to tv's but I am yet to see one I prefer to the Sony 4k PJ.

I have just got mine fully dialled in and in a semi blackened out room the image is spectacular and far more immersive than any tv will do even sat close like i do at about 8-9 feet.

The upscaler in the 4k PJ is amazing as well.

Just need to blacken the room down properly to get the full contrast but this is true of all pj's

Which PJ and how much, if you don't mind me asking, did you pay?

What size screen are you using? Brand? Model?

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
bigboss said:
tvspecv said:
when it comes to upscale tvs will have upperhand in 4k still
Why? The same upscaling technology will be used, so there's no reason for a projector to be inferior to TV.

A TV generates its photons in front of your eyes. The photons go straight from the TV screen into your eyes.

A projector generates its photons behind you. Those photons are then reflected off a screen into your eyes.

A big, almost fundamental, difference, I would say.

If the screen scatters the photons the image can be distorted. Scattering could be caused by any number of factors, e.g. a textured surface on the screen, the microscopic holes in "audio transparent" screens, the screen "flapping" due to breezes (e.g. just someone opening and closing a door), etc. etc. etc. Moreover, most surfaces, even mirrors, don't reflect all the photons that strike them, so some diminishing of the image intensity is to be expected.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
There are pros and cons to both tech but in my experience once your used to a PJ a tv mostly looks wrong for movie content just something about a projected image

I am using a 100" 235.1 scope screen so wider than 16.9 no black bars top and bottom then sony vw500 pj.

It was expensive with the screen getting on for £8-9k with the infrastructure

Before I had a 65vt65 panasonic plasma calibrated lovely great tv but this pj takes the quality up.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
ellisdj said:
There are pros and cons to both tech but in my experience once you're used to a PJ a tv mostly looks wrong for movie content just something about a projected image

Having seen bigboss's home cinema setup in March, I would agree, for movies. Bigboss's projector / screen combination produced the best 1080p picture that I have ever seen, projector or television. However, I wasn't quite so impressed with non-1080p material, at which all my four televisions are fine.

ellisdj said:
Before I had a 65vt65 panasonic plasma calibrated lovely great tv but this pj takes the quality up.

Again, I accept that even after I get my Panasonic 65VT65 calibrated in about February or March, it won't be as good (for 1080p material) as bigboss's system.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I've seen a lot of good stuff and it's rare I am totally blown away impressed but I have just watched Chappie on blu ray on my pj set.

Now it's dialled in its incredible I have not seen much to rival this quality if anything - by this I mean from a TV

Son_of_SJ said:
ellisdj said:
There are pros and cons to both tech but in my experience once you're used to a PJ a tv mostly looks wrong for movie content just something about a projected image

Having seen bigboss's home cinema setup in March, I would agree, for movies. Bigboss's projector / screen combination produced the best 1080p picture that I have ever seen, projector or television. However, I wasn't quite so impressed with non-1080p material, at which all my four televisions are fine.

ellisdj said:

Again, I accept that even after I get my Panasonic 65VT65 calibrated in about February or March, it won't be as good (for 1080p material) as bigboss's system.
Thanks, Son_of_SJ!

The only thing I would add is, if you watch SD material on an 8-foot screen, regardless of whether it's TV or projector, it cannot match a 65-inch TV.

jcshutts

Mar 22, 2008
Visit site
thanks. Is it worth the money to have someone come in to do it? Can it be done through trial an error? Some people have Darbee? to enhance the image. Modern AV equipment will 'clean' up images and upscale. How much value is there in having a system calibrated?? Keen to hear from people's experiences as to what has worked for them

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Calibrating a display is only way to get the best picture from it.

It has to be measured you can't do it by eye not even the best trained eye.

It's worth the cost all day long. You can learn to do it yourself time and money hugely well invested

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
In my opinion, definitely worth every penny. From a calibration, you'll get a more accurate picture as the director intended, including natural skin tones, shadow detail in dark scenes which is really important. Also, some TVs like my VT had a green tinge on skin tones and calibration sorted this and many other TVs have their quirks so calibration is good because the picture modes that come with them are not accurate to the conditions you watch your Tv in I.e. Bright or dark room etc...

it should cost you between £150 to £250 depending on the calibrator and if you have 3D done or not. I only had Isf day and night done on mine as I don't watch 3D, so it was cheaper.

tvspecv

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
having owned a projector i would rather get a 65inch oled next year which would be cheaper than over 4000 projector plus darker scenes would look way better (horror fan) but having owned a projector sony sxrd

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
tvspecv said:
having owned a projector i would rather get a 65inch oled next year which would be cheaper than over 4000 projector plus darker scenes would look way better (horror fan) but having owned a projector sony sxrd

Tv spec should have settled down a a bit by 2017, you do realize you may be waiting 18 month before purchase.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
simonlewis said:
tvspecv said:

Tv spec should have settled down a a bit by 2017, you do realize you may be waiting 18 month before purchase.

I suspect that tvspecv may not have twigged that we are now into the year 2016! *acute*

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
jcshutts said:
What is the best means for home calibrating a PJ or a TV to ensure you get the best from it?

It has to be done on a Solstice, not an Equinox.

You have to dress in white robes and carry a large staff, kind of like Gandalf in the LOTR movies.

A oijee board should be on hand.

A virgin to sacrifice produces the best results but the Boys in Blue won't be stopping round to watch re-runs of "The Bill" if you choose to use one.

Just twiddle the bloody knobs until you get a picture you're happy with fer Christ's sake and save the money to buy some of my speaker oil!!!

jcshutts

Mar 22, 2008
Visit site
Is is there a danger of saturating the market with too many technologies that the consumer gets turned off and confused. Just when we thought 4K was to become the market norm for the next few years....

"HDR-enabled screens can show millions more colours and several more shades of brightness between black and white than normal displays. "

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
jcshutts said:
Is is there a danger of saturating the market with too many technologies that the consumer gets turned off and confused. Just when we thought 4K was to become the market norm for the next few years....

"HDR-enabled screens can show millions more colours and several more shades of brightness between black and white than normal displays. "

Probably.

But HDR has been in the pipeline for years. Whether we mere mortals, with our poor vision, dirty glasses, etc. etc. can percieve any difference is a matter of opinion.

Hopefully 2016, more likely 2017 though, will be the year that the formats, specs., etc. finally settle down. Imagine what the chaos would have been like if gramaphone records had all come out different sizes, some spinning one way, some the other, some playing at 33 1/3, some at 37 3/4....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts