4k pass through AV receivers

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Ok so I'm confused. My denon 2113 has 4k pass through; does this mean its future proofed for 4k or do I need the Hdmi 2.0 for when 4k becomes more available, what's the difference? :doh:

Paul.

It looks like any future 4k disc format is likely to require HDCP 2.2, so passthrough could have issues without it. HDMI 1.4 can handle 4k up to 30fps, it's just the copy protection side of things that could cause issue.

http://hdguru.com/three-must-have-4k-tv-features/

chaschan

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm looking to upgrade my home cinema system but after reading a report on the Sony STR DN1050 and it's lack of HDCP2.2 support for 4K passthrough (which I don't really understand) I'm having second thoughts. Is this a big issue for playing future blu-ray media and where is a good place to read about the issue? Thanks

chaschan

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
Thanks bigboss. I've googled and done a fair bit of reading and I'd reframe my question this way now: "if I only want my receiver to manage the sound part and will leave the player and TV to sort out the 4K video, is the Sony's lack of HDCP 2.2 support an issue at all for me?" I suspect (know) I'm not getting the concept of "passthrough".

If an A/V receiver is incorporated into the system and it is not HDCP 2.2 compliant, then regardless of the HDCP 2.2 compatibility of the source device and screen there will be problems playing encrypted content.

Users might get no image, an error message or some other low-value content.

geoffreyc

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
My new Onkyo TX-NR 838 has one HDCP 2.2 enabled HDMI input, although the HDMI inputs are v2.0 they have a reduced bandwidth (limited to 10.2Gbps) compared to 18Gbps of full v2.0.

andyrich_2000

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
bigboss said:
It's not an issue for regular blu ray players. In the future, when 4K blu rays come, it may be an issue. Of course, you'll need a 4K blu ray player as well.

is the Sony bpd7200 not a 4k blu-ray player? If not ill wait as seems a waste of £200

No, the Sony only upscales 1080p pictures to 4K (a useless feature IMO as 4K TVs upscale brilliantly anyway). 4K blu ray discs haven't been announced yet. True 4K blu ray players will likely be launched towards the end of 2015.

andyrich_2000

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
wow ok thanks. Was considering getting an AV amp and 5.1 system and blu -ray player. I want things that are going to last me years. So now im thinking i'm better off waiting another year or so?

There will never be a time when you can confidently buy equipment that's "future proof". Get a new AV receiver that can pass 4K and a regular budget blu ray player. You can always upgrade to a 4K blu ray player in the future when needed. I suspect there won't be many 4K titles until 2016 anyway.

andyrich_2000

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
The plan was to get an amp and speakers or sound bar (maybe Yamaha 2500) and a Blu-ray player (not so desperate tbh) now and then get a 4kTV in a year or so, perhaps if the Sammy 557500 comes down in price.

What effect will it actually have on the amp i.e. if I bought the Sony 1050 would it need changing when I get a 4k TV? What effect will it have on the amp? :)

D

Deleted member 2457

I didn't realise you need an amp as well for 4K, oh well that's me out!

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
gel said:

only if you run everything through your amp. If you have a 4k Bluray player(when it comes out) that has two hdmi outs, then bingo 1 Hdmi to your amp and the other to the tv but then there is the point of 4k sound(what ever it will be called), it hen you'll need a new amp. It never ends with upgrading.. :)

D

Deleted member 2457

Series1boy said:
gel said:

only if you run everything through your amp. If you have a 4k Bluray player(when it comes out) that has two hdmi outs, then bingo 1 Hdmi to your amp and the other to the tv but then there is the point of 4k sound(what ever it will be called), it hen you'll need a new amp. It never ends with upgrading.. :)
Ah, okay. Cheers.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
AM I missing something..?. So whats the purpose of 4K passthrough on cuurrent AV AMPs?.. Is it just for upscaling?... If it would not allow 4K players in future to passthrough, then what purpose does it play.

If it does not play 4K does that not constitute as mis selling of an item or product.. Cause I think this is very mis leading. Anyway am glade I got Arcam, cause their video boards can be upgraded.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts