3k+ speakers

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
L & I dropped into Audio T in Brighton to listen to possible replacements for my Arros. Julian C suggested PMC's Twenty.24s & Naim's Ovator S-400s. The PMCs had fairly sweet treble but their bass sounded detached & boxy. Next came the baby Ovators with their novel driver tech. Back on with Massive Attack & Holst - what a revelation from probably my least favourite manufacturer: seemless sound from low bass up to high mids with just a slight hint of treble hash but not enough worry too much. Imaging was far better than the PMCs. The Ovators sounded truly excellent with their low Xover f no doubt helping. The Naim's go on my short list. The PMCs were underwhelming under the conditions I heard them where the Ovators were a bit special played from Naim's streamer.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
busb said:
L & I dropped into Audio T in Brighton to listen to possible replacements for my Arros. Julian C suggested PMC's Twenty.24s & Naim's Ovator S-400s. The PMCs had fairly sweet treble but their bass sounded detached & boxy. Next came the baby Ovators with their novel driver tech. Back on with Massive Attack & Holst - what a revelation from probably my least favourite manufacturer: seemless sound from low bass up to high mids with just a slight hint of treble hash but not enough worry too much. Imaging was far better than the PMCs. The Ovators sounded truly excellent with their low Xover f no doubt helping. The Naim's go on my short list. The PMCs were underwhelming under the conditions I heard them where the Ovators were a bit special played from Naim's streamer.

What is on your short list, and are you looking for suggestions in the £3k bracket for Floorstanders?

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Nothing else yet. Was not struck by Totem Hawks & the Forests are ~£4k. PM-1s are good for vocals but I want deep bass not lots of bass the Arros don't provide. Early days - no hurry having spent a fortune in the last last year. Have ordered a Hi Fi Racks custom sized 5 tier Podium in oak to replace my ancient steel Target rack. 3 week wait.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Maybe keep an eye out for SF Venere 2.5 or 3.0, or even some Audio Physics or Mark and Daniels.

I've never heard Totems sounding well, but don't think I've heard the Arros.

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. In no hurry, would spend less but know the Arros ain't going to be easy to better - they are lightningly fast, image like nothing else I've heard but don't have the deepest bass available even if what they do have is very good. The new Spendors need a listen as they are reportedly not Pipe & Slippers sounding.

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Just like to throw two names into the mix, one old and one new.

Old - ProAc D40, either with or without a ribbon tweeter;

New - Spendor D7, only one review so far in another UK mag and it was very favorable.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
atticus said:
My 3k went on AVi ADM40's

Mine too. You will end up with surplus kit busb [ DAC< Pre & Power/integrated and cables and interconnects] but you will be very hard pressed to get a better sounding speaker for the money. Let alone the almost complete system you get for that money.

With your budget, you would be missing a very big trick if you didn't give the 40s a go.

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
relocated said:
atticus said:

Mine too. You will end up with surplus kit busb [ DAC< Pre & Power/integrated and cables and interconnects] but you will be very hard pressed to get a better sounding speaker for the money. Let alone the almost complete system you get for that money.

With your budget, you would be missing a very big trick if you didn't give the 40s a go.

I actually like the look of the AVI ADM40s so wouldn't discount them. It's getting to listen to them...

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Vienna Acoustics should probably be on a short list as well.....when your ready, that is. :shifty:

I heard a pair at Eton a month before buying my Arros. The odd thing was I also heard a pair of Arros firing down the same long room - they sounded truly awful! Go figure.

I'm listening to Lamb's "5" as I type & am am asking myself why on earth I would want to upgrade from the Arros anyway - I live in a flat with floorboards so any more bass would not endear me to my neighbours below ( or next door)! The atmosphere, soundstage & detail I'm getting is almost tactile!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
busb said:
I heard a pair at Eton a month before buying my Arros. The odd thing was I also heard a pair of Arros firing down the same long room - they sounded truly awful! Go figure.

I'm listening to Lamb's "5" as I type & am am asking myself why on earth I would want to upgrade from the Arros anyway - I live in a flat with floorboards so any more bass would not endear me to my neighbours below ( or next door)! The atmosphere, soundstage & detail I'm getting is almost tactile!

This is exactly why hifi is such a minefield......Price or reputation are no guarantee of success. Then when when personal taste, system matching and room acoustics come into the mix.....the outcome of any suggestions cannot be predicted with any certainty.

A correctly matched system (for one's own taste / room), will easily sound better than a more expensive one that doesn't have these attributes.

Your perfect set of speakers are out there, just waiting for you to stumble onto them.
evil.png

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
busb said:
relocated said:
atticus said:

I actually like the look of the AVI ADM40s so wouldn't discount them. It's getting to listen to them...

Depends on where you are of course. If you go over to the HDD forum, there are owners that will help you out if you are nowhere near the Cotswolds.

:)

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Overdose said:
altruistic.lemon said:
Nah, go for the best. splash the cash on Maggies or Martin Logan. They give you scale and dynamics few can match.

All well and good, if you have the room for them. Ideal for a few people though.

Then again, Maggies are light. You can put them against the wall when off duty, and position them into the room when you want to listen.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
DocG said:
Overdose said:
altruistic.lemon said:
Nah, go for the best. splash the cash on Maggies or Martin Logan. They give you scale and dynamics few can match.

All well and good, if you have the room for them. Ideal for a few people though.

Then again, Maggies are light. You can put them against the wall when off duty, and position them into the room when you want to listen.

Indeed you could, but that would wear a bit thin for me and most people I'd imagine.

It's one of those compromise situations I guess. Electrostatic/planar speakers make all the right noises, but are limited in their practical application, ie positioning and space required. Good cone speakers can fit almost all criteria in this area, but are perhaps not so accomplished as the former speakers regards sound quality.

SpursGator

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
What about Gamut Phi5? I don't know their UK price but it must be under three grand - 3200 is the euro price for the base finishes (up to 3600 or 3800 for some of the woods I believe).

The really killer Gamuts are the next level up - the M'inenTs or however the --- you spell that. But if I had three grand for new hifi speakers I would certainly want to audition these - great design and the house sound is, IMO, very sophisticated, large-scale, and exciting. I have not heard the Phi series but would put them on my listening list at that price.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts