2nd Hand Marantz gear

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi there,

I've been trying to decide on a decent startup for a set of HiFi kit. But everything I like the sound of adds up to enormous amounts... However, a local dealer has some good deals on some 2nd hand Marantz gear; some of which tickled my interest, specifically:
  • Marantz PM 6010 OSE KI
  • Marantz CD 5400 OSE
They would be €375,- together.

Would this be a good pairing? Will this sound decent?

The speakers I'm looking at are either the b&w 60x (2nd hand), Monitor Audio RS8 or B&W CM7.

I'm mostly into rock, classical rock and some metal from time to time. I need at least decent bass.

Would this amp + player be a good startup?

Kind regards,

T

the record spot

Don't know about the 5400, but the 6010KI is a superb amp. Worth 375 euros alone IMO. Lovely clear and detailed sound, excellent build as well. Works with a wide range of kit and carries a good 65w per channel. Plenty for most speakers and it'll stand a good few upgrades over and above the 5400 too.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
IMO for the speakers yuouve mentioned (apart from the B&W's which i think youve been given the wrong model number (where they the B&W 603's?) then i dont think the Marantz will give you the sound you want for your tatses in music.

Both the M/A RS8's and the B&W CM7's are superb speakers but need a good amp to drive them well. Yes, the Marantz has the 65w per channel but I have found that the Marantz sound can be clinical at times and lean in the bass area.

IMO i'd take a look at eBay and see if you can get a decent example of an Arcam Alpha 9 integrated amp (or an Arcam Alpha 10 amp even) or take a look at a NAD C352 or Rotel RA02 integrated amp...

The Marantz CDP may still be worth looking at but again i think NAD or Arcam amps would be best suited to your tastes...

T

the record spot

I think the amp would be a better keeper than the CDP to be fair. Having owned mine for a few years now - partner it with a used Linn Mimik (£200 on Ebay) and you'll have a system that does bass.

A

Anonymous

Ebay isnt really an option for me, I live in the Netherlands and most HiFi on sale is from the UK. And truth be told, I don't trust eBay very much either. Had some bad experiences, don't like the whole PayPal business either.

So anyone else feel the Marantz isn't really in the same league as the mentioned speakers? What speakers can I succesfully pair with this setup? It feels like a nice deal for the set, but getting one very positive and one very negative reply doesn't help me much
emotion-7.gif

Thanks

T

the record spot

I think the RS8s would be as far as you could go (and maybe a stretch too far) for the Marantz; it's an £800 floorstander right? B&W 604s would be fine, but every amp (and every CD player) has their limits. The source and amp are fine, but I'd rethink the speakers. You would get something very good for less outlay that would make for a very nice system.

A

Anonymous

Watch marktplaats, that's where I bought my Marantz gear for a very nice price. Ebay.de might be a good option too, lots of stuff there, and very reasonably priced. The Marantz pairing might be nice, but I think the amp deserves better than that cd player. 200 euro seems like a more reasonable price for that amp, to me atleast. Which, means that he's overcharging for the set, the cd should reasonably worth a 100 euros, give or take.
The speakers you're looking at to deserve something a bit better than you had in mind, There's a PM17MK2 on marktplaats, asking price 500 euros, I'm sure you could haggle a bit. Succes toegewenst!

A

Anonymous

So how is the higher end Marantz gear working for you? It seems very popular in the Netherlands... And since you seem to be from around here, have you also noticed the terrible high prices dutch HiFi dealers are asking for new gear? They easily double the pound prices, it's sick!

I see you use B&W speakers as well, is it a good match? I love B&W as a brand, so I'd love to own a pair of speakers made by them!

Marantz just seems good value for money around here

A

Anonymous

murphsy:
So how is the higher end Marantz gear working for you? It seems very popular in the Netherlands... And since you seem to be from around here, have you also noticed the terrible high prices dutch HiFi dealers are asking for new gear? They easily double the pound prices, it's sick!

I see you use B&W speakers as well, is it a good match? I love B&W as a brand, so I'd love to own a pair of speakers made by them!

Marantz just seems good value for money around here

It's lovely, combined with thee B&Ws it really excells in vocal music, accoustic stuff, and jazz/classical. It doesn't however sound so nice when I'm listening to rock music, but that's mainly because of the terrible production on some rock albums I have. In general, I really love my system, and however feel that the amp and cd player could do a whole lot better than the B&W's I'm currently using and thus I'm thinking of upgrading real soon. As for dealer prices, yes prices can look steep compared to the UK and especially the United States. Mark-up is pretty steep too, I can't quote you on figures but's pretty insane.
I don't know where you live, but if you're in the north, you're always welcome to pop round for a cup of coffee to come and have a listen.

A

Anonymous

Im in Groningen actually! So I might call you on that.

Steep feels like an understatement really, I see nice advertisements in the What Hifi on a monthly basis of which I can only dream. Some kit goes for prices that should be attached to product like 3 or 4 quality ranges higher, madness!

I've also spend quite a lot of time doubting about Roksan kit, but I've heard the bass is pretty terrible.

You happen to know any decent HiFi dealers in the northern regions? ;)

A

Anonymous

In Groningen? Neat, I'm in Leeuwarden. You're in luck though, Groningen has some very nice HiFI shops: De Groeff Audio, HiFi Corner, Sound Gallery and Audio Artistiek. Hifi corner has the biggest selection, Roksan, Marantz, B&W, they carry it all. I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for there. I've spent money in just about all the shops, and I found Audio Artistiek to be the most helpfull.
If you're willing to travel to leeuwarden, then Boelman & Co and Poort HiFi might be worth a visit too.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts