24fps vs. 24fps with 5:5 pulldown

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi there!

I have recently purchased a Toshiba LCD TV, the 40XF355D (5 star review on what hifi), which is said to be 24 frames per second compatible. (without 5:5 pulldown). The sources I use are: PS3 with the latest firmware installed (installed just last week), a Denon 1920 upscalling DVD player and a Sagem HD freeview set-top-box.

I was hoping that some judder would go away having set the PS3 on 24 fps for blu ray playback, but guess what? It makes absolutely no difference if I turn on or off the 24 frames per second option in the PS3 menu. I have tried with multiple blu ray discs, including: Training Day, Hit Man, Sunshine, etc, the motion judder is there in all its glory. I use a Profigold HDMI cable (one of the few quality cables available in my country), I even plugged it in a different input (the TV has 3 HDMI inputs), I think I ran out of options. On the other hand, the TV has no options in the menu. Actually, the operating instructions do not mention anything about 24fps compatibility. I had to write to Toshiba UK to make sure that the TV is 24 fps compatible, and it is.

I understand the new technology - 24 fps with 5:5 pulldown - cures this motion judder but also brings that "natural motion" along which spoils to some extent (in my view at least) the movie watching experience. I thought that 24 fps compatibility would do just fine, being an acceptable compromise. I guess I was wrong.

Does anybody have the same problem with 24 fps compatible equipment? Is there any solution (other than buying new kit)?

Thank you in advance,

Mihai Scortea

Bucharest, Romania

FuzzyinLondon

Dec 5, 2007
Visit site
No real way around it I'm afraid. The Toshiba website confirms that the tv's trying to display the picture at its own rate (50,60 or 100hz most probably) The TV does not have a refresh rate capable of displaying 24fps at its native rate so you're always going to get judder unfortunately. The only way around it is to buy a new tv. I'm surprised it got a five-star rating if the problem is so noticeable. Maybe it varies from person to person. Maybe one of the team cares to weigh in.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts