How To 5/6 speakers with a 4 channel amp

LowBass4me

Jun 8, 2022
Visit site
Hi guys, really need some advice. I have a new system ready to be installed in my garden. I have x4 Monitor Audio Climate 50 speakers (8ohm), a Polk audio subwoofer (8ohm) and currently a Cambridge Audio A5 amplifier rated at 4-8ohms per channel. This has 4 channels.
The sub needs 2 channels to run meaning I only have 2 channels left to run 4 speakers. I can't seem to find a reasonably priced 6 channel amp capable of running this. What's my options? Is there an amp that could do what I want or can I 'double up' on the Monitor channels and run 4 speakers off 2 channels? Help would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance

LowBass4me

Jun 8, 2022
Visit site
I was chatting to a guy in richer sounds and he suggested an AV amp, his colleague advised against it as the sound quality wouldn’t be up to scratch.
With an AV amp I believe it would give me more control over each channel allowing me to raise the volume on certain speakers and not others to get a balance around the garden? There are 2 seating areas and a bar also so I do really need the 4 climates…..Budget wise, up to £400 is where I’d like to be, I’m not sure if this can be done?

Gray

..Budget wise, up to £400 is where I’d like to be, I’m not sure if this can be done?
If you were to buy a couple of decent little class D amps, you'd have volume control over 2 stereo zones, possibly an output for your subwoofer.....and money to spare (as they're often very good value).
If you must have individual volume control of each of the 4 speakers, then mono block options might be worth a look.
The little amps could be remote from, or placed locally to the speakers.

Reactions: Tinman1952

treesey

I was chatting to a guy in richer sounds and he suggested an AV amp, his colleague advised against it as the sound quality wouldn’t be up to scratch.
With an AV amp I believe it would give me more control over each channel allowing me to raise the volume on certain speakers and not others to get a balance around the garden? There are 2 seating areas and a bar also so I do really need the 4 climates…..Budget wise, up to £400 is where I’d like to be, I’m not sure if this can be done?

The colleague thinks you'll get good sound quality.... in the garden???

The simple answer is a 2nd hand AVR, of which there are millions for sale - I'd go Pioneer SC-LX something (look at the reviews) and see what's around. That will allow music feed to 7.2 or 9.2 depending on the model you choose, and you'll be able to adjust the sound across all.

LowBass4me

Jun 8, 2022
Visit site
Running 2 of the climates with the polk sub gives an amazing sound, I was very surprised. I have been using my floor standing monitor RX outside for parties until now but moving £2.5k worth of speakers from man cave to garden is risky and this was proven when I chipped the corner on the last party :-(.
The new set up is as good as, if not better than these RX's!

I think the AV is looking like the way to go. Because my Sub is passive and not active, this is what's causing the issue.
I also read that I could possibly use the A5 amp I already have to run the climates and then as this amp has a pre out, I could add another amp to run the sub? Does this sound correct? If so, gotta be the simplest option for what im trying to achieve?

Really appreciate all your comments, feeling quite lost with this at the moment. Keep hitting brick walls at every turn......

LowBass4me

Jun 8, 2022
Visit site
They come in with me at the end of the night!
Hence why I use these and not the good stuff outside!

I’ll keep trying to get the answers but thanks for the input so far 👍🏻

treesey

I think the AV is looking like the way to go. Because my Sub is passive and not active, this is what's causing the issue.
I also read that I could possibly use the A5 amp I already have to run the climates and then as this amp has a pre out, I could add another amp to run the sub? Does this sound correct? If so, gotta be the simplest option for what im trying to achieve?

But you can't alter the sound balances if you just get another 2 channel amp (or power amp) If you want to be able to balance the sound, a cheap AVR with at least 5.1 is the simplest solution. You plug it in, plug in 4.1 speakers in your case, and play around with the balance..... but do check that whatever you choose can power your passive sub..... dunno myself.

TRENDING THREADS