buzz_lightclick

I'm thinking of adding a second sub to my system- Monitor Audio AW12, the Apex sub to match my speakers. I already have a B&W PV1D though, would it sound funny having 2 different subs, do they have to be the same brand and model?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Not necessarily, although I'd normally recommend them to be the same model ideally. I presume you'll be using the Pioneer's onboard EQ? I don't know too much about the Pioneer as to whether it will EQ independent subs (or even EQ down that low anyway), but if it doesn't, it'll measure both subs as one, and base it's settings on those results.

buzz_lightclick

Yep the SC-LX88 seems to be a lot better at handling my sub than my old LX83, I just set crossover at 100Hz then let MCACC do its thing. On the PV1D I can manually adjust levels on the touchscreen display on the sub itself.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Why do you want a second sub?

If its more output, extension or tactile response you might be better off with a different sub altogether.

buzz_lightclick

I'm using the 5.2.4 mode on the Pioneer now, but only with one sub. (There's no option for 5.1.4). Just wanting more weight and a stronger soundfield and more balanced sound without changing all my speakers. It's pretty good how it is but I'd be interested to hear the difference with 2.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Another PV1 might do that - I was getting at - if what your chasing is not what the PV1 is going to do adding another one might not be the solution.

It could well be a much bigger subwoofer moving more air might do more of what you want - but in a much bigger package as the trade off

F

FunkyMonkey

I am running two subs. As my room is wider than deeper overall, i have got a sub under the centre speaker stand and one behind the sofa again centrally in room

This seems to work well and is one of the recommended configurations on the audioholics website.

They are different subs. Both front firing.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I THINK the .2 sub setup on most receivers assumes symmetrical left / right subs.

Most DVDs and regular BDs only provide a .1 sub channel, which is split by a .2 receiver and then "over dubbed" or something with the bass from the FL and FR channels.

My Marantz 7010 has the options to use just one sub, presumably in mono and using either just the .1 from the disc or that plus over-dubbed mixed FL and FR, or two subs in "stereo".

Two subs work better as the bass end comes through in stereo, and yes, I personally can still detect directionality at low frequencies. And, of course, you do get more "oomph" than with just one.

I too would stick with the same models left and right, but if you've got one already, I wouldn't replace it with a pair of different ones, just add one more of the same.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
If a subwoofer like the pv1 doesnt have great bass extension adding a second one is very unlikely to fix that.

So buying a different subwoofer or pair of subwoofers is actually a very viable thing to consider.

A receiver with .2 wont output stereo bass for the lfe channel it will be sub mono.

The reason having more subs in a room is to do with how pressure works in a room as after all bass is just pressure

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/subwoofer-tests-archived/5749-b-w-pv1.html#/topics/5749?page=1

Data for the pv1 is not the best. It doesnt really output a lot of bass, especially low end bass.
Other subs perform much much better but are a lot bigger and less stylish.

I think buzz lives in an apartment so low end output might not be what he is after.

buzz_lightclick

ellisdj said:
http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/subwoofer-tests-archived/5749-b-w...

Data for the pv1 is not the best. It doesnt really output a lot of bass, especially low end bass. Other subs perform much much better but are a lot bigger and less stylish.

I think buzz lives in an apartment so low end output might not be what he is after.

I have the PV1D though, not quite the same as the PV1.

Yes I don't want a super loud sub that shakes the floor.

I will probably end up getting another PV1D to go on the opposite side to where my current one is, and have a play. If it's no better than I can always sell it on. I've sold a couple of PV1s before and was amazed at how much interest there was in them.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
It wasnt meant as a criticism just hoping to help point you in the right direction depending on what your looking for. I.e i think you likely want a second sub for more bass impact. Another one will likely be more of the same probably not more of what its not doing. Could well be wrong though depending on your room.

Let us know how you get on

buzz_lightclick

Yes my room isn't suited to a big sub like a BK Monolith for example. I don't think the PV1/PV1D is a bad as some suggest, it is very agile and fast, never bloated or boomy like I've heard some other subs sound.

I would like to try the B&W DB1, but with an RRP of over £3k it won't be any time soon!

I just thought two smaller less powerful subs might be an interesting experiment to try. I remember one guy on the Apex owner's thread used 2 MA AW-12s and he was very happy with that.

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
I use two small BXW10 subs in my room as part of my all Monitor audio speaker setup and I am very happy, for the size they put out good quality bass when watching movies.

*music2*

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Buzz its a tough one - you look at the data for the PV1 and its not the best for movies

It doesnt really output that much sub bass and its output falls away as it gets deeper and below 50hz it has very high distortion. So it will sound a cleaner sub because of that, because the range where subs have to work hard to produce the bass its not really doing it.

So in essence its more of a music sub than a movie sub - its similar in performance at a guess to a BKXLS400 but much smaller and cuter.

Having 2 wont be worse than 1 thats for sure and it will increase the bass output.

I was just thinking you can get much better performance for your money but not in such a small package. It depends on really what your hoping to get - if your not that goal orientated with ti - i.e. more punchy bass or something then ignore me mate

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Buzz mate I have been thinking what other small sub might be of interest to enquire and maybe demo before you invest.

I thought of a JL Audio e10.

I cant find any data for it but I would expect it have more linear extension than the pv1 with more output and JL are reknowned for being tight sounding subs.

I think its more expensive though so it might not be anygood and just thought no room correction.

I suppose another is the velodyne ultra 1200 that is small does have room correction. They do extend well into sub bass but i had one on demo it didnt blow me away i preferred the larger svs other people like it a lot though.

buzz_lightclick

ellisdj said:
Buzz mate I have been thinking what other small sub might be of interest to enquire and maybe demo before you invest.

I thought of a JL Audio e10.

I cant find any data for it but I would expect it have more linear extension than the pv1 with more output and JL are reknowned for being tight sounding subs.

I think its more expensive though so it might not be anygood and just thought no room correction.

I suppose another is the velodyne ultra 1200 that is small does have room correction. They do extend well into sub bass but i had one on demo it didnt blow me away i preferred the larger svs other people like it a lot though.

Thanks Terry I will take all that on board and perhaps try and demo one or two subs before purchase.

audiventory

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
buzz_lightclick said:
I'm thinking of adding a second sub to my system- Monitor Audio AW12, the Apex sub to match my speakers. I already have a B&W PV1D though, would it sound funny having 2 different subs, do they have to be the same brand and model?

In my opinion, same model is preferable. At there, there you may set identical settings. After it adjust by room.

buzz_lightclick

Son_of_SJ said:
I've never heard the PV1 (or PV1D). The nearest that I've come to it was its closest rival the Paradigm Seismic 110, which five years ago I decided was not for me. Nevertheless, What Hi-Fi loved the PV1D, it won a group test in 2012 http://www.whathifi.com/bw/pv1d/review.

Yes I'm happy with the PV1D, it fits my modern apartment well in terms of styling and is not overly loud and can be easily turned up or down a few decibels on the touchscreen display. Different presets can be used for watching movies/TV/listening to music etc.

Son_of_SJ said:
eBay has a PV1 for sale ending tonight!!! Buzz, I don't know if you'll see this in time, but here's the link http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192137884590?ul_noapp=true The auction ends at 11pm tonight Sunday 2nd April, and currently (7:30pm) is at £421.

Thanks for the alert, but I didn't see it in time as I don't use this website every day. If I go down that route I would likely get another PV1D rather than a PV1, I can get one locally for £800.

I am thinking of trying Monitor Audio's Apex sub though, the AW-12, which I think Big Boss used to use.

Q5

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
bigboss said:
The AW12 is an awesome sub. I had compared it with the PV1D, and the AW12 was much better.

+1 I still have mine and may even keep it when I change my speakers shortly.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts