2.1 speakers good for TV and great for Hi-Fi

rmatthew

Feb 19, 2016
Visit site
Hi, currently I have a budget (£250) 2.1 speaker setup for my TV and to be honest I'm pleased with it's output but it is not suitable for music listening. Rather than buying a dedicated music system I'm thinking that I can upgrade my 2.1 to something that would be great for music and also run my TV through it. I don't want rear speakers so don't need 5.1.

Any suggestions? Budget £750 to £1500.

Thanks.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
If you wanted a 2.1 system you would have been better off spending your money on a "proper stereo" then plugging in the audio outputs from your TV.

Without knowing your amp and speakers myself, you have now, it's difficult to suggest your next mover, however. Unless of course you can come up with a lot more cash and buy that new Arcam Solo Movie 2.1 receiver (GBP1500) and a pair of speakers that do it justice.

The Mission 753s are probably your weak link, however, so look at changing those first. I like ProAcs, and a used pair of Studio 140s, perhaps even a used pair of the Studio 148s should be in your budget range. Your ears are different to mine, however, and I've never heard an Abraham'son amp.

rmatthew

Feb 19, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. The kit in my signature is the Hi-Fi setup in a different room so I won't be replacing those components. I was initially thinking of runnning another set of speakers into my living room for music but then thought of replacing my 2.1 to save having to have 2 sets of speakers.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
before we can offer any really constructive help.

Obvious choice would be the Arcam unit paired with some good speakers, but that's probably going to cost twice your maximum budget.

You have to go with the maxim "surround sound receivers for surround sound, proper stereo for proper stereo, and never the twain shall meet" for best results.

Second best would be to use a secondhand 5.1 or 7.1 receiver with pre-amp outputs as a decoder then feeding the pre-amp outputs from that into the Aux or AV inputs on a proper stereo amplifier and thence to proper stereo speakers, which then double up as your front left and right speakers in your AV system Adding a receiver also means you'll be able to have a centre channel, which most consider a "must" for AV, and be able to add surround channels if / when you decide, or it is decided for you, to add surroud speakers.

Third option would be to use a secondhand Cyrus AV Master 8, or something like it, as an AV decoder. The Cyrus unit only takes fibre optic and coaxial digital inpouts (not HDMI) plus one stereo (RCA) source, though, and it doesn't support the latest audio codecs either, so no DTS:X or Atmos. It does, however, have power amps built into it for the centre and side surrounds for a 5.1 setup or could run a 7.1 setup using self-powered speakers.

rmatthew

Feb 19, 2016
Visit site
My current 2.1 is a Sony Home Theatre System - HT0FS3, which I intend to replace rather than augment.

As always lots of options and the delima that I will need AV cababilities for the TV, which isn't ideal for music. Whichever way I go there will be a compromise, so I leaning towards your second option of getting a good set of stereo speakers. I have a full 5.1 AV setup in a different room so I am able try some of the options before having to buy something.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Putting decent speakers with that Sony won't hurt, but it won't do much good either.

You're either going to have to bite the bullet and buy a proper stereo amp with digital inputs as well and feed it with digital audio off the back of the source(s), or if you can off the back of the TV, or buy a decent AV receiver. But even with a decent AV receiver the hifi sound still won't come up to audiophile "proper stereo" standards. To get there you'll need an AV receiver with pre-amp outputs, or source boxes with separate digital (fibre optic or coaxial - it really doesn't matter) outputs. You then feed those into a "proper stereo" system.

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
You have a good budget but some cheaper options the Dali sound bar £800 is a clean sexy looking with good sound.or denon m40 £150 which has great stereo sound and has a sub out with a digital input.add a nice pair of speakers like wharfedale 220.Total spend £300 which is what I would get and it comes with a CD player and iPod connection and radio.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts