2.1 Music Only System £2000 Budget

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site
I want to put a 2.1 system together for listening to music only. Ive got about £2000 budget for everything, Speakers, Sub, Amps.

Music that will be played will be everything from funk, soul, disco to house and techno.

I was initially looking at B&W 685, B&W ASW610 Subwoofer and a suitable amp but I appreciate there is probably better.
As Im not sure where to start looking can anybody start pointing me in the right direction so I can start to work out what I want to demo.

Cheers

Rick

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
AVI ADM9 with the matching AVI subwoofer.

It includes the speakers, amplifiers, digital and analogue inputs and has a remote control for the volume and input selection. They sound fantastic too!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm assuming you have a source, so my suggestion to demo would be:

Amp: Creek Evo 50A or Arcam A19

Speakers: Kef LS 50s

Sub: BK XXLS 400 / P12-300SB

gasolin

CnoEvil said:
I'm assuming you have a source, so my suggestion to demo would be:

Amp: Creek Evo 50A or Arcam A19

Speakers: Kef LS 50s

Sub: BK XXLS 400 / P12-300SB

Mabye the big brother of the Nad D3020 the Nad D7050, i remember in a review of the Nad D3020 they very impressed when they used the Kef LS50's just missed a bit power, so i guess the Nad D7050 could be an alternative to the 2 amps you suggests

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Why limit yourself to 2.1 options only, is there a specifc reason? A 2.1 can sound brilliant if set up well and EQed but it is also very easy to gerong, a good sub not set up well can actually detract from the sound. As I said you can get good results too but my preference would be for a 2.0 system with speakers that just do bass well.

A bit over budget but I'd be looking at Event Opal active speakers, no need for a sub with them or amp being active. Can be had for around £2,200 new, just add some form of volume control and input selecter and you're good to go. Might be getting closer to £3k but would seriously blow the likes of the B&W 600 series out of the water in all deparments even with out a sub.

I have some B&W 602s but have also just set up some KRK Rokit 10-3 actives, I think they cost about £800 and while they're not the last word in subtlety they excel with bassy electro music and don't seem fussy about what there used with upstream, I removed my Croft valve pre and ran direct from a Squeezebox Touch using the digital volume (not a long term solution) and I was very impressed given the price. No where in the Opals league but a good choice for party speakers.

Esra said:
How big is your room?
See post no 2.

I agree with those suggesting a better 2.0 system, and because of that I cannot recommend a 2.1 anything, though B&W are probably as good as many.

I would suggest fairly sensitive speakers, and probably floorstanders as you presumably like bass. 2.1 might make more sense if doubling up for cinema duties.

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
7x5 meters are still good for Kef LS50 even without sub if you choose an amp with power.I would probably opt for a Ex Pioneer LX57 (which you can get cheap around 550-600 GBP new) if you maybe have plans for surround in future.Has a great Dac,DLNA server,spotify connect onboard and a lot of clean digital power which can be dsp processed for your room(fullband phase control etc.).Maybe not as good as a dedicated stereo amp around 1000,- + (imo. even or better with Kef ls50 than ex. Arcam a19/Creek Evo 50 which you would probably think about with your budget) but still very enjoyable imo. with LS50 (they need power and are one of the best speakers you can get within your budget).Leaves options for upgrades in future like sub etc..Only - is the fan which is noticeable in very calm passages in music.Just a suggestion within many.

Look around forum,there are many similar topics with a lot of suggestions and systems to start with.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Esra said:
7x5 meters are still good for Kef LS50 even without sub if you choose an amp with power.I would probably opt for a Ex Pioneer LX57 (which you can get cheap around 550-600 GBP new) if you maybe have plans for surround in future.Has a great Dac,DLNA server,spotify connect onboard and a lot of clean digital power which can be dsp processed for your room(fullband phase control etc.).Maybe not as good as a dedicated stereo amp around 1000,- + (imo. even or better with Kef ls50 than ex. Arcam a19/Creek Evo 50 which you would probably think about with your budget) but still very enjoyable imo. with LS50 (they need power and are one of the best speakers you can get within your budget).Leaves options for upgrades in future like sub etc..Only - is the fan which is noticeable in very calm passages in music.Just a suggestion within many.

Look around forum,there are many similar topics with a lot of suggestions and systems to start with.

i agree the ls50s are good speakers but I feel his taste of music and room size he would be better off with a sub or large floor standers. I think the AVI 9RS with sub would be hard to beat. I heard the LS50s and the bass is not huge even with the MF 3i amp. Only problem with AVI is hearing them first, some owners will let you hear them in their home if you live near any. Whereabouts do you live?

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
MF3i isn´t a good choice for LS50 either.Would prefer a Pio.A70 over it any day withLS50,which also works fine with B&W 685 which is also a very nice speaker.

You can get deeper response with the right setup/room than specs given,easiest way is to provoke your modes in the room.With a speaker expecially like the Kef LS50 you will need power and control for that.

Another suggestion

Good deal for the active way,just add Pre/Dac and sources of choice (1120,- budget left)

http://www.thomann.de/gb/adam_artist_6_glossy_white.htm

http://www.thomann.de/gb/adam_artist_sub_high_gloss_white.htm

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Given the quoted room size a sub is definitely required.

Even floorstanders will struggle to fill that size space with a full and even bass response. I have a room of similar proportions and a pair of Tannoy Mercury V4 floorstanders driven by a NAD C326BEE amp. Neither of these are short on bass, but sitting in my listening position there was virtually no bass to be heard. I added 2 (yes 2) Tannoy subs to even out the frequency responce and inject some kick back into the sound.

It is time consuming and takes weeks of living with it before you get it properly set up to work with everything, but when you're done tweaking the detail, scale and impact of the cleanest bass you've ever heard (and felt) will be well worth it!

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
MeanandGreen said:

Even floorstanders will struggle to fill that size space with a full and even bass response. I have a room of similar proportions and a pair of Tannoy Mercury V4 floorstanders driven by a NAD C326BEE amp. Neither of these are short on bass, but sitting in my listening position there was virtually no bass to be heard. I added 2 (yes 2) Tannoy subs to even out the frequency responce and inject some kick back into the sound.

It is time consuming and takes weeks of living with it before you get it properly set up to work with everything, but when you're done tweaking the detail, scale and impact of the cleanest bass you've ever heard (and felt) will be well worth it!

I think it depends on the room, not just size. I have gone from a 5m x 3.5m room to 9m x 3.5m and the bass is hardly any different. The floor is now concrete instaed of suspended wood, so less vibrations through the floor. I certainly don't want a sub. But then I don't play techno music.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
MeanandGreen said:

I think it depends on the room, not just size. I have gone from a 5m x 3.5m room to 9m x 3.5m and the bass is hardly any different. The floor is now concrete instaed of suspended wood, so less vibrations through the floor. I certainly don't want a sub. But then I don't play techno music.

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
BigH said:
MeanandGreen said:

I'm not sure why people always relate subs in a 2 channel music system with techno and a need for OTT thumping bass? If anything techno is the last music style to require a sub as it's recorded with so much bass in the first place it doesn't generally require help in that dept.

I agree it depends on the actual room layout, furnishings etc... But everyone seems quick to dismiss the need for a subwoofer when they can be and are a very usable asset when set up correctly. Also in a large room unless you don't move around and never have any other people sitting in other seats then maybe there is no desire to even out the bass responce in the whole room. Personally I think just one sweet spot in a big room is a bit inconvenient. Just my thoughts on the subject...

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
MeanandGreen said:
... But everyone seems quick to dismiss the need for a subwoofer when they can be and are a very usable asset when set up correctly.

This I agree with....and I think the concerns people have revolve around the difficulty of proper integration, which if not subtly done, can do more harm than good.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
MeanandGreen said:
BigH said:
MeanandGreen said:

I'm not sure why people always relate subs in a 2 channel music system with techno and a need for OTT bass? If anything techno is the last music style to require a sub as it's recorded with so much bass in the first place it doesn't generally require help in that dept.

I agree it depends on the actual room layout, furnishings etc... But everyone seems quick to dismiss the need for a subwoofer when they can be and are a very usable asset when set up correctly. Also in a large room unless you don't move around and never have any other people sitting in other seats then maybe there is no desire to even out the bass responce in the whole room. Personally I think just one sweet spot in a big room is a bit inconvenient. Just my thoughts on the subject...
Subwoofers can work well with lots of different genres of music not just rave, provided they're used sensibly. Keep them turned low to subtly reinforce the existing bass from the stereo speakers. Think of it as adding more 'weight' to the sound rather than adding more noise.

Good 2.1 music systems are hard to come by though because most of them don't integrate properly. All to often they sound directional and boom or drone rather than keeping up with the music. The problem is that many stereo speakers have badly controlled bass to start with and lots of subs are designed for home cinema applications rather than music. A cheap sub is fine for adding loud bass for film explosions but good quality ones that are suitable for music don't come cheap. Find a good 2.1 setup and the results can be magnificent, I wouldn't be without one.

TRENDING THREADS