1K recommendations

nig

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Hey Folks,

So I've got around £1,000 to spend on a system which will include an amp, speakers and cd player. I mostly listen to folk/rock music and will also need the amp to be connected to a PC for mp3 and movie playback. The room the equipment will be hosted is 4.3m x 4.1m. The speakers will most likely have their backs to a window.

I'll also be possibly looking into starting a vinyl collection so the amp should suit a turntable.

Cheers

Nig

respe

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
Need better electronics than the change for paying for them would leave you with. All the Tannoys I have enjoyed listening to have had a good valve amp driving them.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
What about some active speakers? Genelec, KRK, they're good. Couple them with a DAC with a preamp and you're fine. Either buy a cheap CD player or burn your CDs to disk.

Over budget a bit, but with a built in DAC and preamp, there's the all-in-one solution of the AVI ADM 9s.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
respe said:
nig said:
So you reckon the PM6004 isn't good enough for a DC6T?

Dunno' what Isaid was that tannoys sound at their best with a valve amp driving them

thats a generalisation. Remember Tannoys reach both ends of the market. And I don't think it very likely they'd go too far that way with the DC6T.

If you do fancy the Tannoys I'd think about emailing them for amp recommendations, or I assume they have a Facebook paye, you could post there.

If you were to go for the AVI speakers you could get some used ones in budget. There is a buying section on their forum. You would need a seperate phono stage if you decide to go with vinyl.

Pete68

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
The Tannoy DC6 is a cracking speaker and I would audition a pair if you have heard them and liked them. However I would keep clear of the Marantz PM6004 & CD6004, I bought these last year and wasn't that impressed at all. Maybe a NAD amp would suit the Tannoys. Its all subjective though so get along to an audition with your favourite CDs before you part with your hard earned cash.

Exoticsounds

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Had a look at current "deals" and you can now get Mordaunt Short Mezzo 6 within the budget too, which should be preferable to the BX 5.

Or if you want to have some change left then KEF iQ 70 can now be had for just £299.

nig

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the recommendations and info folks.

Unfortunately I'm not in a position to audtion equipment so will really be going on recommendations.

T

the record spot

If you're in the UK, make sure you buy online in that case; you're covered by the Distance Selling Regulations, which gives you 7 days to open a box, inspect and try out where necessary. You're obligation is to take reasonably care of the goods and notify the seller in 7 days that you're returning them. You don't need to offer a reason, but you do need to cover return postage. You then get a refund.

Some online hifi retailers will pull the "no refund if the box is opened" line, one or two mail order places (such as Ian Harrison in Derby) try the "Goods are not sold on approval" line, neither are legally binding as the DSRs trump them.

My suggestion - go to somewhere like Superfi, Richer Sounds or Peter Tyson and you'll be fine. They have an excellent line in stock and prices are generally good. As is after-sales support.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
You will get a pair of AVI ADM 9T speakers within your budget, as has been said. For this you get speakers, amps, pre-amp, DAC and remote control plus necessary power and connecting cables. All you add is a source to the 2 digital and one analogue inputs. More than enough grunt to fill your room with the very best sound. The quality is amazing at this price level.

nig

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
THe AVM ADM9 looks interesting and I must admit I never came across/thought about this type of solution. Looking at the connections could it host a cd player, turntable and a phono for PC connectivty?

I contacted Tannoy for amp recomendations for the DC6T but alas they couldn't give recomendations on brand. I guess that's kind of understandable.

nig

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
I sent an email off to a local Hifi stockist and they recommended the following:

Rotel RA11

B&W DM685

Yamaha CD 300

Any opinions?

Cheers

Nigel

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
nig said:
I sent an email off to a local Hifi stockist and they recommended the following:

Rotel RA11

B&W DM685

Yamaha CD 300

Any opinions?

Cheers

Nigel

Yes, without being flippant, get some AVI ADM 9Ts or earlier.

There would be lots of different combinations recommended by different people and dealers [depending on what they stock]. The ADMs are ready matched and won't require you to search for the 'right interconnects' and speaker cables to get improvements and 'synergy'. You will not get as good a performance as the ADMs for your money or a great deal more.

Let us all know what you decide. :cheers:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts