£300 all in for Spotify based system

philipjohnwright

Jun 26, 2009
Visit site
I've been asked to recommend a system for a friend. Or more specifically for her son, who is getting married soon. This will be his present from his gran. So not much flexibility on the budget I'm afraid.

They used Spotify as a source, playing on an existing laptop, so that's not part of the budget (phew).

Options I can think of are Audioengine speakers, ideally A5's, but that would mean using the headphone output of the laptop, which is far from ideal. The only really cheap DAC I can think of is the Xytel (may have spelt that wrong), which is OK but not brillant (I used to have one). Or the new Denon DM39 coming out soon, that has a digital input. Thats £300 without speakers, although maybe it will be less than list price when it hits the shops in Aug (when they are getting married, so just in time).

They could go with one of the £130 amps and similar price speakers, with a low cost DAC. Or ????

Anyone got any bright ideas?They are music lovers, not hi fi buffs.

Edit -just remembered the Sonos Play 3. That would come in on budget if they can control it from a laptop - the Sonos site mentions a PC base control system, but doesn't list it against the Play 3. Anyone know whether it can be used this way. And also what the sound quality is like; the reviews are good but would it hack it as a main system?

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Yes, you can control from the laptop using the Sonos software. The Play 3 will need to be hard wired to the router, or else use a Zonebridge and then the Play 3 is fully wireless.

Controller apps can also be downloaded (for free) for iPhone/iPad or Android and are a joy.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
How about a pair of cheap actives plugged into a DAC? For example in here in my little studio I use a pair of Wharfedale Active Diamond 7.1s. Browsing around online I've found a pair of new Diamond 8.1 Pro Actives for £80.

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I would strongly recommend going second hand here, if that is not too much of a problem in terms of it looking like a special gift, and time restraints.

Bearing in mind the laptop already exists, look on ebay/gumtree for something like HRT music streamer, Pioneer A400 and Mission 751 speakers.

Sorry to bang the drum for the A400/751 combo - I just know it works beautifully and far exceeds, in terms of sound quality, the price you can get it for.

There must be lots of lovely NAD/Sansui etc amps that you could get for relative peanuts to match with some great second hand speakers (sure some people on here will have advice on great matches), and have money to spare to buy a decent DAC (the HRT gets great reviews).

I think you should be able to pick up a decent amp for a lot less than £100, same for speakers, then the rest goes on the DAC.

Job done. Or something like that. Music lovers will approve of this sort of set up, maybe even some hifi purists.

FWIW I've seen 751s go for well under £100 and A400s also for less than £100. Keep checking the auction/second hand sites!

Buy cheap interconnects and cables too.

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I would strongly recommend going second hand here, if that is not too much of a problem in terms of it looking like a special gift, and time restraints.

Bearing in mind the laptop already exists, look on ebay/gumtree for something like HRT music streamer, Pioneer A400 and Mission 751 speakers.

Sorry to bang the drum for the A400/751 combo - I just know it works beautifully and far exceeds, in terms of sound quality, the price you can get it for.

There must be lots of lovely NAD/Sansui etc amps that you could get for relative peanuts to match with some great second hand speakers (sure some people on here will have advice on great matches), and have money to spare to buy a decent DAC (the HRT gets great reviews).

I think you should be able to pick up a decent amp for a lot less than £100, same for speakers, then the rest goes on the DAC.

Job done. Or something like that. Music lovers will approve of this sort of set up, maybe even some hifi purists.

FWIW I've seen 751s go for well under £100 and A400s also for less than £100. Keep checking the auction/second hand sites!

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site

TRENDING THREADS