£1400 to spend .....whats best Television from PC World

smarky

Sep 22, 2007
Visit site
Hi, I have £1400 to spend on a Television, i have been up and down to PC world looking at TV's and still none the wiser. The models i have seen are

TX-L55ET50

TX-L55DT50

UE60EH6000

TX-L55WT50

Ive even seen a LG TV but even my wife said no on that one.

Can anyone help, i have a builder coming in the weekend and i need to run the cables, let alone buy a TV!!!

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Agree with bigboss. Bought my tablet from Currys/PC world and it was a horrible experience. Would add Costco to list of other vendors.

smarky

Sep 22, 2007
Visit site
Hi,Thanks for reply however due to some F****** lowlife bugling my house, we are currently dealing with insurance and have been given a voucher to use in Currys to replace the TV so we have to use them. So im now trying to sort a TV out from there but im at a loss, especially as the customer service is to say non existant to say the least...!

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
smarky said:
Hi,Thanks for reply however due to some F****** lowlife bugling my house, we are currently dealing with insurance and have been given a voucher to use in Currys to replace the TV so we have to use them. So im now trying to sort a TV out from there but im at a loss, especially as the customer service is to say non existant to say the least...!
Tough luck x 2, you have my sympathy

smarky

Sep 22, 2007
Visit site
Cheers for the help, What Panasonic would you go for in that price range, i'll be honest im not totally up on all the spec and just seem to set on a TV then go back to Currys and come away with other ideas!!

smarky

Sep 22, 2007
Visit site
Cheers, just looked at Currys and its not listed the only one close is the P55VT50B which is £2100 however its £1649.95 at richer sounds not sure if they'd price match that amount!!

Unfortunately, Currys / PC World don't have many good models in stock. Amongst what they have, check these out:

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd-blu-ray/televisions/large-screen-tvs-32-and-over/samsung-ue55f6400-full-hd-55-led-3d-tv-21255339-pdt.html

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd-blu-ray/televisions/large-screen-tvs-32-and-over/samsung-ue55es7000-full-hd-55-led-3d-tv-12371863-pdt.html

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd-blu-ray/televisions/large-screen-tvs-32-and-over/samsung-ue55f6670-full-hd-55-led-3d-tv-21286133-pdt.html

smarky

Sep 22, 2007
Visit site
Cheers, Bigboss will give these a look. I will also see if currys will price match just need to check stock at both branches then try and persuede the wife to add some extra pennys!! Thanks for your help.

simonali

Aug 8, 2006
Visit site
I had a big battle in RS the other day getting them to price match Currys who were cheaper. They kept claiming that because they were including a "free" 5 year warranty their higher price was the better deal!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
smarky said:
Hi,Thanks for reply however due to some F****** lowlife bugling my house, we are currently dealing with insurance and have been given a voucher to use in Currys to replace the TV so we have to use them.

Can you let us know who the insurance company is so I can be sure to avoid them? I don't want to be dictated as to which companies I spend my insurance payout with...

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
professorhat said:
Can you let us know who the insurance company is so I can be sure to avoid them? I don't want to be dictated as to which companies I spend my insurance payout with...

Most insurance companies have ties with retailers and strict clauses dictating where you buy replacements. Similarly, most car insurance policies stipulate that repairs are carried out by an "approved" garage. As always, it's about the bottom line rather than customer service.

buzz_lightclick

Almost bang on your budget, and a great tv, but is 50" big enough?

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd-blu-ray/televisions/large-screen-tvs-32-and-over/panasonic-tx-p50vt50b-full-hd-50-plasma-3d-tv-14553792-pdt.html

buzz_lightclick said:
Almost bang on your budget, and a great tv, but is 50" big enough?

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd-blu-ray/televisions/large-screen-tvs-32-and-over/panasonic-tx-p50vt50b-full-hd-50-plasma-3d-tv-14553792-pdt.html

Get Currys to price match John Lewis at £1100 if they still have in stock.

simonali

Aug 8, 2006
Visit site
bigboss said:
Which TV was it? Was there any 5 years manufacturers warranty at Currys?

It was the ET60 I mentioned in another thread. I don't know whether the Panasonic 5 year warranty is available in Currys or not, but the point I was trying to make is if the warranty is being thrown in for free then it shouldn't have any bearing on the price. The RS price was Currys plus 10%, which is precisely what they normally charge for a 5 yr warranty i.e. it wasn't free!

Got there in the end, though...

simonali said:
bigboss said:

It was the ET60 I mentioned in another thread. I don't know whether the Panasonic 5 year warranty is available in Currys or not, but the point I was trying to make is if the warranty is being thrown in for free then it shouldn't have any bearing on the price. The RS price was Currys plus 10%, which is precisely what they normally charge for a 5 yr warranty i.e. it wasn't free!

JL & RS do have in their T&Cs that the price match should be like for like & includes any extended warranty & delivery etc. Some shops charge atrocious amounts for extended warranty. RS charges 10% while JL offers it for free.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
bigboss said:
simonali said:
bigboss said:

JL & RS do have in their T&Cs that the price match should be like for like & includes any extended warranty & delivery etc. Some shops charge atrocious amounts for extended warranty. RS charges 10% while JL offers it for free.

But the panasonic 5 year warranty is a manufacturer's warranty isn't it? Therefore costs nothing to the shop and should be available with all legit in store purchases (free of charge).

BenLaw said:
bigboss said:
simonali said:
bigboss said:

But the panasonic 5 year warranty is a manufacturer's warranty isn't it? Therefore costs nothing to the shop and should be available with all legit in store purchases (free of charge).

Yes that is correct, but I think Currys doesn't offer the 5 year Panasonic warranty (I may be wrong though) so that they can sell their expensive extended warranty.

simonali

Aug 8, 2006
Visit site
RS weren't doing the Panasonic warranty either, just their own version, but there was a big sign saying it was free. That makes it cost £0 in my book and that their price of £879 should be dropped to match the Currys price of £799. Otherwise their warranty effectively costs the customer £80, does it not?

I did ask them to just give me the free Panasonic warranty instead and the TV at £799, but they said they couldn't do that!

simonali said:
RS weren't doing the Panasonic warranty either, just their own version, but there was a big sign saying it was free. That makes it cost £0 in my book and that their price of £879 should be dropped to match the Currys price of £799. Otherwise their warranty effectively costs the customer £80, does it not?

I did ask them to just give me the free Panasonic warranty instead and the TV at £799, but they said they couldn't do that!

The price match T&Cs clearly state like for like. The only reason they'll price match is to prevent you buying from Currys, but they know that you're more likely to go for 5 year warranty for £80 extra. So they won't usually price match in this case.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts