ZP120 power cable upgrade

RS0882

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Hi All,

I'm using a Sonos ZP120 with Dali Zensor 1s in my study and I like the current sound and love the simplicity, but I do think the Zensors can do more. Before I rearrange/sell/buy everything again I was wondering if anybody has tried upgrading the figure 8 power cable to something better, e.g. supra, and experienced some good results?

Cheers!

RS

PS: If possible, could we avoid the whole power cable = snake oil discussion? :hand:

RS0882

May 13, 2011
Visit site
If only I could use the same cable... The cable I have has an IEC connector while I need a C7 or 8 figured connector for the ZP120.

Custom Cable, do you notice considerable improvements when updating the cable on the ZP90?

Thanks again.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
If you find your existing one to be beneficial, I would advise buying the figure 8 version online and returning if it does nothing for you or get one from a dealer on sale or return. One person's experience may well not be the same as your's. I'm sure a cable company will tell you it brings improvements.

CustomCable

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
To be honest there were no significant differences to be heard when replacing the ZP90 cable. If anything there was slightly less ringing on the treble which seemed to calm down. Biggest difference I found was when replacing my DAC and Pre Amplifier Mains cables. Much quieter system when these were introduced. Be very careful though, mains filters and some massively priced mains cables and the like CAN inhibit the sound and make it sound lifeless and horrid. IEC C13 will do the trick nicely. A nice step up from LoRad would be the Merlin Tarantula SE in my opinion.

RS0882

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks CC. It's too bad you haven't tried it on a zp120 as I would expect more difference as it also has an amplifier.

Unfortunately I can't test it as none of the hifi-stores near me carry this product, and I can only get these things online.

Anybody else have any experiences/comments regarding the zp120 or even the S5 for that matter?

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
I made up my own for my S5 player.

Belden cable

Furetech Fig of 8

MK Toughplug

I have no affiliation with the shop concerned just get most of my stuff there. Also try TM3 connections

Remember that the shielding around the Belden cable needs to be connected to Earth at the PLUG end and not the IEC end. However as the fig of 8 doesnt have an eart this is not a problem.

Can get cheaper figure of 8 connectors.

Wont tell you how it sounds as people will say it can it cant. But it was a worthwhile and cost effective project/ upgrade.

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
No different to wiring a plug really except you have to cut and prepare the cable first.

NOTE DO NOT DO THIS UNLESS COMPETANT TO DO SO I TAKE NO RESPOSIBILTY FOR INJURY- ELECTRICITY KILLS

1. select your componants

2. Cut the required length of cable

3. Trim back the outer pvc sleeve on the cable at both ends by approx 1.5", carefully so as not to damage the braiding

4. At one end twist the braiding (metal foil) and trim off as close as possible to the outer sleeve, this end will be the IEC or Figure of 8 end (equipment end)

5. At the other end strip back 1" of the earth cable shrounding. Twist the metal foil and twist the foils and earth cable together.

6. Cover in new earth shrouding (available at most DIY stores). This is the plug end.

7. At both ends trim approx 1/2" of cable shroud of all conductors and fit to connectors

Have a look here

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts