House full of sound

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
This starts off really boring but will get interesting soon, I promise. And there'll be pictures!

This is where I started from: a few Arcam components and some speakers bought between 1993 and 1999, and then a whole slew of Sonos boxes rolled out across the house from 2006. The Sonos boxes are connected by cat5 cable, and the infrastructure works really well. The whole family (Mrs 49 and the two teenage 49 girls) loves Sonos. And why not?

Living room: Sonos ZP90 and Arcam CD73 (now defunct) > Arcam A65 > KEF iQ5

Dining room: Sonos ZP120 > Linn Unik (wallmounted)

Kitchen: Sonos ZP120 > Linn Unik (wallmounted)

My study: Sonos ZP90 > Arcam Alpha 5 > Musical Technology Kestrels

Mrs 49’s study: Sonos ZP120 > Mission

It was a combination of two things that got me interested in hifi again. Mrs 49 gave me a pair of Grado SR325is for Christmas 2011, and then I had my study redecorated in 2012. The study system soon moved on with the purchase of an Audiolab MDAC, Cyrus X Power, and a pair of Sonus Faber Venere 1.5s.

It was only then, in 2012, that I started getting serious about replacing the living room system, which is the main subject of this thread and will be very interesting (honest). The dining room system also needs upgrading.

Just recently I had the ZP90 in my study upgraded by Fidelity Audio (which was the subject of some fractious exchanges on the audio forum).

scene

As a repeat Sonos offender (see sig) I look forward to hearing from you on the upgraded Sonos. My HiFi (in the study) is similar to your living room system but cost and size constraints mean I have the diddy AE Compacts as my speakers.

Regarding running SONOS ZP90s hardwired only - i.e. if they're all connected by ethernet cable. There is a known issue where this can cause dropouts, pauses and slow responses from the boxes as the wired and wireless signals conflict. Mine aren't fully hardwired, as the S5s are wi-fi only, but a good friend of mine had this issue in spades with a fully wired Sonos system. If you get this problem, there is a way to turn off the Sonos radios (bit of an undocumented feature!) that cures the problem and survives a reboot/power down.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
BigH,

thanks for your interest.

I plan to demo a range of speakers once the new amp's in place. Of the speakers I've heard while demoing amps, the most appealing have been Harbeth Super HL5s.

Matt

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
scene said:
As a repeat Sonos offender (see sig) I look forward to hearing from you on the upgraded Sonos. My HiFi (in the study) is similar to your living room system but cost and size constraints mean I have the diddy AE Compacts as my speakers.

Regarding running SONOS ZP90s hardwired only - i.e. if they're all connected by ethernet cable. There is a known issue where this can cause dropouts, pauses and slow responses from the boxes as the wired and wireless signals conflict. Mine aren't fully hardwired, as the S5s are wi-fi only, but a good friend of mine had this issue in spades with a fully wired Sonos system. If you get this problem, there is a way to turn off the Sonos radios (bit of an undocumented feature!) that cures the problem and survives a reboot/power down.

Scene,

thanks for your post.

I wasn't aware of the problem with cabling Sonos. I guess that's a good thing, because it means I haven't experienced any dropouts at all.

The Sonos upgrade is excellent but very expensive. I wouldn't have done it but for the hope that I might still be able to use Sonos in the new system being planned for the living room. So I guess it was an experiment. Once I have a new amp and speakers in there I'll trial the modded Sonos against a Linn Majik DS or similar.

The living room system has done stirling work, but is now bound for hifi heaven. I enjoyed owning Arcam; a sweet and mellow sound.

Pete68

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I am having a lot of work done by Fidelity Audio on my Arcam Alpha system (amps and CD player) and plan on getting some new speakers and a Sonos ZP90 or two, so I am looking forward to hearing about your upgrade plans. Post bookmarked.

Pete

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
scene said:

Scene, I certainly do get this problem. I have a play:3 in the kitchen and a ZP90/Connect connected to my stereo. I generally get problems with radio but assumed it was down to my Broadband. I would be interested to learn how to turn off the sonos radios. Both of my boxes are hardwired.

As for the house full of sound - lets see some pics then :)

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
JamesOK said:
As for the house full of sound - lets see some pics then :)

Thanks, @JamesOK, and also @12designs.

Pics will start in a week or so. The study system should be complete then, once my MDAC returns from its upgrade in the Czech Republic. (Amazing, it took less than 24 hours to get there.) In 10 days I'm getting some Neat Iotas wall mounted in the dining room. Also need a small power amp to sit between them and the ZP90.

The main system in the living room will take some time though. I've demoed 20 amps so far, another 5 or so to go before I pull the trigger and then move on to speaker demoes.

There's also a slight issue as to how my wife will react to the look of the new living room set up. I hope it's not :whack:

iamthegruffalo

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Also intrigued by the turning off, of Sonos radios......Pray tell!

Ah, hold on, this is it....

http://wojo.com/blog/2011/11/20/disabling-wifi-on-sonos-players.html

scene

matt49 said:
iamthegruffalo said:
Also intrigued by the turning off, of Sonos radios......Pray tell!

Ah, hold on, this is it....

http://wojo.com/blog/2011/11/20/disabling-wifi-on-sonos-players.html

Thanks for that, Gruffalo.

Thanks - been away for the weekend and was struggling to find the command - as the blogger states, threads explicitly stating the command seem to get trimmed on the Sonos forums and it's often stated there is no way to turn of the wifi.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
OK, so a few trivial differences between these two pics, but two significant ones, which were installed this morning.

Before ...

9005269056_78335db1af.jpg

And after ...

9008306929_e7799704fe.jpg

The babies are currently being driven by a Sonos ZP120. Tomorrow I'll bring down the ZP90 and Cyrus X Power from my study, as a trial to see if it's worth splashing out on a bit more power for them.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
12Designs said:
what are they, Neats?

How is the amplifier hunt going? Do you have a shortlist yet?

Yes, Neat Iotas, as suggested by someone on this forum (forget who). They're really super; nicely tuneful and detailed when quiet, but happy to be driven hard and capable of creating a decent soundstage. I'm wondering about a sub though ...

Thanks for asking about the amp hunt, which is drawing to a close. Tomorrow I'm demoing the Pass Labs INT30A against the Luxman L-590A II. On Wednesday it's the new Devialet range. And on Friday the Musical Fidelity AMS35i.

I think it's going to come down to a shoot out between the Pass Labs, Luxman, MF and the Accuphase E560.

Is your Arcam kit due in this week? Exciting! I've been reminiscing this week: while my MDAC is away being upgraded, I've been using an old Arcam A65 as preamp in my study. It must be at least 12 years old, and the caps may have faded. Might be worth a refurb? Or even a complete overhaul by Brent?

Matt

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
matt49 said:
Thanks for asking about the amp hunt, which is drawing to a close. Tomorrow I'm demoing the Pass Labs INT30A against the Luxman L-590A II. On Wednesday it's the new Devialet range. And on Friday the Musical Fidelity AMS35i.

Those are some very (very) nice amps, and I look forward to your thoughts.....imo. you are in for quite a treat.

matt49 said:
I think it's going to come down to a shoot out between the Pass Labs, Luxman, MF and the Accuphase E560.

I suspect you are right.

Pete68

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
matt49 said:

After hearing your thoughts on the Devialet on another post are the above mentioned amps still in contention?

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Pete68 said:
matt49 said:

After hearing your thoughts on the Devialet on another post are the above mentioned amps still in contention?

The Luxman was knocked out by the Pass Labs. I'm demoing the Accu on Monday. Report on the AMS35i to follow this evening.

:cheers:

Matt

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Pete68 said:
Hi Matt

How is the amp hunt going, have you made any decisions or purchases? Any speakers you are interested in?

Pete

Hi Pete,

I have the Musical Fidelity AMS35i arriving here on loan next Weds. I've a nasty (nice?) feeling it may never leave the house, though I'm still hoping to demo the new Devialet models, which are now overdue. Other than that, I might give the Pass Labs INT30A another spin.

As for speakers, well, it depends very much on which amp I go for. The amp-speaker synergy is so important. I took a strong dislike to PMC speakers the first few times I heard them, but when I heard the AMS35i through PMC Fact 8s, I could really see what the fuss was about. So, yes, it's very much: amp first, speakers second.

Have you got your modded CDP back yet? I'm getting rather frustrated waiting for my Audiolab MDAC to come back from the Czech Republic. It's been two weeks now ...

Matt

Pete68

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Hi Matt

I haven't got the CD player back yet, I should give Brent a call today about it. I have been so busy finishing the Fidelity Audio website...

Once everything is back I may also buy some new speakers. It's hard to know where to start as the upgrades that Fidelity Audio have made so far have been so dramatic that the usual short list of speakers that normally go well with Arcam amps will have changed.

Saying that, and having owned Acoustic Energy speakers before, the new Reference 1's are speakers that I would like to audition, (and the Reference 3s if I can stretch that far). Would also like to hear how the upgraded system would drive speakers from Kef, Proac and Spendor.

Pete

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Hi Pete,

I reckon once you have your full modded Arcam system in place, you'll want to demo a wide range of speakers, and it'll be very, very interesting. I've no idea what'll work well -- I doubt anyone could predict it, as the sound of your modded Arcam system will be unique. So I'd say, spread the net wide, take your time, and you'll end up with some excellent options.

Whereabouts are you BTW? Do you have access to lots of dealers?

:cheers:

Matt

TRENDING THREADS