Your most recent gig

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Drummerdave

Dec 4, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Got back from Truck Festival today. Weather was much better than forecast, just some heavy showers on the Friday night.

One thing that was noticeble was the amount of bands that sound very similar to each other, and it did leave me a bit disappointed at the lack of originality on display. So many bands just sounded like a variant of The Killers, The 1975 etc etc, and were all incredibly polished, and very very dull.

Exceptions were the Gang Of Four, who were absolutely awesome, and made me feel like I did when I was going to gigs in my teens and twenties. What a band.

The other exception was a new band to me, Maybeshewill. Dynamic instrumental post-rock of the highest order, and definitely a band I would recommend to those of you who like that kind of thing.

Gang of Four are great, never seen them live though, lucky man.

Will check out Maybeshewill, like a bit of post rock.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Drummerdave said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Got back from Truck Festival today. Weather was much better than forecast, just some heavy showers on the Friday night.

One thing that was noticeble was the amount of bands that sound very similar to each other, and it did leave me a bit disappointed at the lack of originality on display. So many bands just sounded like a variant of The Killers, The 1975 etc etc, and were all incredibly polished, and very very dull.

Exceptions were the Gang Of Four, who were absolutely awesome, and made me feel like I did when I was going to gigs in my teens and twenties. What a band.

The other exception was a new band to me, Maybeshewill. Dynamic instrumental post-rock of the highest order, and definitely a band I would recommend to those of you who like that kind of thing.

Gang of Four are great, never seen them live though, lucky man.

Will check out Maybeshewill, like a bit of post rock.

Can't recommend going to see Gang Of Four enough, fantastic rhythm section, new singer with real energy, and of course that classic Andy Gill guitar sound. I was a little disappointed to see only one original member remaining in the band, but honestly, the new members are all great.

I think Maybeshewill are a band to see live, rather than on record. Saying that, I haven't heard any of their records. *biggrin*

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Went to see Blondie at the O2 Academy in Bristol last night. They were brilliant. Only on an hour & 20 mins or so, but it was all good, and is guess they need to pace themselves nowadays.

The support were a band called The Carnabys, very confident and talented. They did a cover of I Wanna Be Your Dog, which was a good as Iggy Pop (if not better)

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Yeah. That was a bit tongue in cheek. But it was very good

:)

Ive seen Blodie 3 times, and they've never done my favourite song "Rip Her To Shreds"

Drummerdave

Dec 4, 2007
Visit site
Deafheaven last Sunday in the Mandela Hall, Belfast. Fantastic gig, like standing in a hurricane.

Slint last Monday in the Limelight, Belfast. A lesson in dynamics, power and precision, absolutely sublime.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
First Aid Kit were really good last night. I found the vocals and slide guitar a bit abrasive on the first few songs, but they must have twiddled some knobs as it seemed to get better. They did one song with no mics or band and the crowd joined in. The crowd also sang the chorus to Emmylou (their last song).
It's not my usual type of music, but I'd definitely go to see them again.

The support was a young folk singer from Manchester called Jo Rose. It was just him and a guitar. He did say he'd like to be able to tour with a band in the future. He's on spotify and I'll prob have a listen later.

Drummerdave

Dec 4, 2007
Visit site
richardw42 said:
First Aid Kit were really good last night. I found the vocals and slide guitar a bit abrasive on the first few songs, but they must have twiddled some knobs as it seemed to get better. They did one song with no mics or band and the crowd joined in. The crowd also sang the chorus to Emmylou (their last song). It's not my usual type of music, but I'd definitely go to see them again.

The support was a young folk singer from Manchester called Jo Rose. It was just him and a guitar. He did say he'd like to be able to tour with a band in the future. He's on spotify and I'll prob have a listen later.

I saw them last week in Belfast, loved the gig, thought the sound quality was great and the vocal harmonies sublime.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
I saw them (First Aid Kit in Bristol) thought the druming was a little overbearing but on the whole I enjoyed it. If you poke around the iTunes festival you can watch a video of there set that went out live from the Roundhouse in London for a limited time its well worth a view.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

If you've ever wondered who are the most boring live band in the world, I saw them tonight, they are called The Moons, and they are the greatest cure for insomnia ever invented.

This is the last time I ever go to see a band that my wife says are good.

Only good thing about tonight is that I noticed that The Wytches and The Amazing Snakeheads are playing there soon, so atleast it wasn't a totally wasted evening.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
:)

id never heard of them so watched their video of the track BODYSNATCHERS on YouTube. Pretty good, so I can see why your wife thought they'd be good.

Years ago I went to see The Beautiful South, just soul crushing.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
My next concert is Opeth in a couple of weeks.

Not something I'd usually consider, but it's pretty close, and I know they were a favourite of Another forum member so I really ought to go.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Larry Miller in October, Matt Schofield in November.

Also my wife and I are going to an evening with Stuart Maconie in November where he will be discussing his latest book

The People's Songs:The Story Of Modern Britain In 50 Songs.

I've read all of his previous books and he really is an interesting and extremely funny writer. I've never been to an event like this before so I'm really looking forward to it.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I went to see Stephen Fry last week where he read some stuff from his new book, and other stuff.

I really like him and really enjoyed it, my friend wasn't that impressed with it. If you like the person these type of shows are great.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Went to see Opeth at Bristol Academy last Friday.

I've only ever been an occasional listener via spotify so wasn't ever so sure how much I'd enjoy it.

One of the best concerts I've been to this year. Brilliant band, I've now ordered Ghost Reveries, and have just watched the Roundhouse DVD. I'm a new fan.

The support was a band called Alcest who were really good too.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Just got back from seeing Royal Blood at the Birmingham Institute - a cosy little venue I've never been to before.

These two guys are brilliant. Such a massive sound for just a bass guitar and a set of drums. You appreciate how good the drummer is when you see him live. It wasn't a particularly long set, but they can be forgiven seeing as they only have one album out! The set could've done with having some of the tracks extended with a bit of instrumental free styling. Highly recommended though. Roll on March when I get to see them again :)

They were supported by Turbowolf - I'd not heard any of their stuff, but they're very great live, very energetic and the lead singer really gets the crowd to join in.

While I was queuing outside, I was handed a flyer for a venue up the road. A week Sunday, Truckfighters are playing, which I just have to go and see. Dirty fat basslines and grungy guitars - can't go wrong!

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
It was a really busy day but managed to get to birmingham to see Motörhead.
We missed the first support, Boss Hoss, but got there to see The Damned, opened with Street of Dreams from my favourite album Phantasmagoria. They were brilliant, did the classics and I was quite surprised they did Eloise but they sounded great.
I was a little disappointed with Motörhead, though they really picked up after the first half a dozen songs. There were some glaring omissions from their back catalogue and also there most recent albums were under represented. I can't remember one from THE WORLD IS YOURS (I might be wrong)
Not really in my Top 5 this year, but in still enjoyed it.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Went to see Jools Holland, and I've only got myself to blame. Right up to walking into the Colston Hall I was saying to my friend that we could get a Chinese and watch a film if she preferred.
I don't know what possessed me to but the tickets
smile.png
I found the brass section just too overwhelming, and is a rich white man singing the blues in front on a white middle class audience really on ?
In isolation a lot of the songs weren't too bad, and one of his backing singers, Louise Marshall did a couple of nice songs, but I found it relentless. By the time marc Almond came on I was really flagging. Say Hello, Wave Goodbye was great, then he did a great version of a Edith Piaf song, but then Stop in the name of Love ?? and a Hootenanny version of Tainted Love.
After his bit we left as I could take no more, and there was more than a few others that did the same. I'm very sure what jools does, he does very well. It was just a bad decision by me.
Still, Kasabian next week, that's cheered me up.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts