Your most recent gig

Page 15 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Just got home from Truck Festival. Another great couple of days, though disappontingly, Wychwood Brewery had taken over the bar duties, so no decent ciders this year. *nea*

The music was better than last year though, and I particularly enjoyed The Wytches, Ghostpoet, and Bo Ningen.

Some of you may be familiar with The Wytches, and they didn't disappoint, with a blistering, dynamic set. I'd heard a couple of Ghostpoet tracks before, but wasn't sure what to expect live. Well, if it hadn't been for the utter insanity of Bo Ningen, Ghostpoet would've been the highlight of the weekend. I can't recommend him/them highly enough, and the way the intensity of the set just grew and grew was incredibly impressive.

Now for Bo Ningen, what can I say. I said to my friends after they'd finshed, if insanity could be replicated with music, this was as close as you could get to that sound. Definitely not for everyone, but if you don't mind a fair amount of noise, and want to experience something new, you should really go and watch them. They are absolutely superb musicians, and there are elements of Prog in there, but there are also elements of Thrash Metal and Industrial music too. There were moments when they reminded me of The God Machine at their most intense and very best, but then again, they were nothing like God Machine. Exhilarating, truly unforgettable, and as close to insanity as you'd ever like to go. Wow!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuZuTSTEv3E

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Went to see BAD RELIGION in Bristol last night. I think a few issues with the mic but overall a great gig. Forgot there's a 10 pm curfew at the O2 on a Friday, so it was a slightly shortened show when compared to birmingham a couple of nights before. BR are one of those bands I've liked for ages but never thought I'd be lucky enough to see them live.
Missed the support as the traffic on the M4 was bad.

I couldn't get to see Queensryche on Wednesday so this more than made up for it.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Protect the beat , featuring Derek Nash at the Jazz Mix, Cliffs Pavilion, Southend on Sea last night .

Bl##dy Fantastic !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LGUyIXI2PM

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately, had to miss Wolf Alice this week, but got Muse tickets this morning and just seen that White Miles are supporting Eagles of Death Metal.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Drummerdave said:
Bo Ningen are great!

Haven't seen them live though...yet

I'm not sure how often they play outside of London, but they're definitely worth making a little effort to go and see if you can.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

During my recent trip to Amsterdam, I was dragged along to see The Charlatans at the Paradiso.

Great venue though.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Sarah Jane Morris , last night at the Jazz Mix , Cliffs Pavilion , Southend on Sea .

Absolutely Fantastic !

If you get a chance to see her live then just go you won't regret it .

jjbomber

Buffalo Summer at The Duke. Almost the spiritual home of the band, very much their local. Still no news when the second album will be out, so they played it in iy's entirety! I think the gig is a warm-up for their November tour, supporting Crobot.

Check them out if youy get a chance.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
METRIC, last night.

I was expecting some me good electro pop, but it was more synth/guitar rock.

Start of one track reminded me of The Distillers.
I've only heard their new album (Pagans in Vegas) once but the do seen rockier. Thought they were brilliant.

http://youtu.be/b2ZCwFixwFY

Cynic-al

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Foo Fighters, Milton Keynes 6th September, simply awesome. Right at the front left hand side of Dave Grohl's sliding chair catwalk. His voice is better live now he's stuck in that chair and can't jump about.

Took my boys to Fall Out Boy @Wembley SSE Arena 12th October. Really enjoyed it but sound in there is truly bad. The support acts sounded hollow with boomy bass. When Fall Out Boy came on I'd either got used to it or their sound settings were just better as they got this Dad rocking in the aisle.

Cynic-al

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
He was funny as f*** He was good though, with his wrinkly Popeye arms. Very tight band and I enjoyed the songs I knew. It seemed there were a lot of people there just to see Iggy. Once he'd done his set we were able to move right to the front as they vacated.

Royal Blood were awesome, the sound they make from a Bass and Drums needs to be heard or felt to be believed.

Foo Fighters played a great set. Dave sitting down took nothing from their performance, in fact his voice sounded the best I've heard it.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Last night, at the Marble Factory in Brisrol.

Headliners DELAIN.

WHEN we got there, a band was already playing. Only heard a couple of their songs and I didn't get their name. Three piece metal band from Wales. Sounded ok.

Then the two bands I went for. THE GENTLE STORM. The lead singer was also the Lead singer of The Gathering, the covered a couple of their songs too. Really enjoyed rock. The female guitarist looked about 14. Excellent though.

Delain had announced on Facebook that they had added a second guitarist. Turns out it was the same girl from The Gentle Storm. They did April Rain this time, which they didn't last year. Also got a brand new song, performed live for the first time last night. This band should be massive, and I'm sure they will be. They were supporting Nightwish in South America last week so they're pretty busy.

It says on the MF website that it holds 550 people,it didn't seem that big to me

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Cynic-al said:
He was funny as f*** He was good though, with his wrinkly Popeye arms. Very tight band and I enjoyed the songs I knew. It seemed there were a lot of people there just to see Iggy. Once he'd done his set we were able to move right to the front as they vacated.

He's always great, and if I'd gone, it would have been for Iggy. I've just checked the setlist, and it's quite an unusual set, with a few slower tracks from The Idiot album. He is getting old now though, and he's played The Stooges stuff to death over the last few years, so I can't blame him.

*smile*

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Went to see Eagles of Death Metal last night.

First support was Feverist, pretty good. They have a track on Spotify. "Criminal Mastermind" which sounds too clean and not really representative.

Nest was WHITE MILES. Really looking forward to seeing them, and they were brilliant but not on for nearly long enough. Only did two old tracks. New tracks coming on a new EP, and it's sounding great. There was an opportunity to buy it at the venue, but I forgot until I was halfway home
wink.png
. One of the best bands you will ever see.

I wouldn't say I was an EODM fan but the were brilliant. The main man is very funny. The place was packed and the crowd loved him.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
EPICA last night.

3 great bands. The traffic was horrendous and it meant I missed the first support, Scar Symmetry, I was looking forward to seeing them so that was very disappointing.
Next were ELUVEITE. Liked them for along time but no YouTube vid or CD will prepare you for how awesome they are. Got the feeling most of the crowd were there to see them. I'd go see them again any time and they got a really decent set for a support. 11 songs and encore.

Headliners were EPICA, much better tHan I expected and really quite heavy.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Went to see CHVRCHES last night in Bristol. I really like both their albums, but last night they were absolutely brilliant. Every song was fantastic. The support MANSIONAIR might be worth another listen too.

I thought there might be a few gaps in the crowd for obvious reasons but it was packed, which was a good thing.

Around a month ago I noticed they were becoming more security conscious at Bristol Academy, checking bags etc. Last night they had a couple of airport style scanners which you walk through. Only added a couple of minutes to the queuing and reassuring for people.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

The other night at Bedford Esquires

The Wytches

Baby In Vain

The Vulgarians

Despite the poor-ish sound, The Wytches were great as always. The Vulgarians were ok, Baby In Vain were the rather fantastic, and the girl singer/guitarist can really play. Check them out if you like The Breeders, Come etc etc

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Went to see Apocalyptica last night. Cellos do metal. They are an amazing band.

First saw them 10+ years ago when they were still mainly doing Metallica covers. They have developed quite a bit and had a guest vocalist. They still do some covers which are brilliant. Seek & Destroy is a favourite.

The support was a Japanese band called Vamps. Not bad and quite a variety of styles.
Started off quite industrial (metal), one song was very Mad Capsule Markets. But it verwhelmingly reminded me of bands like GnR, Motley Crue, perhaps a little out of fashion. Lots of Japanese fans there last night.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Ane Brun at the Islington Assembly Hall last night .

Ane performed with a full band this year, a quartet called Tonbruket plus others including Mariam the Believer.

It was gig of the year for me *yahoo*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKj2w2711ys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKfD38HhCTc

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts