Your best ever hi-fi purchase?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

my best buy must be my rogers ls3/5a speakers
i bought them in 1982 for £299, i still use them on a regular basis
they sell for silly money on ebay,i might sell them some day but not yet .

Sliced Bread

Definitely my B&W CM8's :cheer:

These beauties even make my AV amplifier sound musical...I've listened to so many CD's that I used to think were badly recorded, just to find out they needed a better speaker.

Closely followed by Onkyo 905...great with movies! A nice warm enveloping sound.

rendu

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
I have a list of best purchase each for different reason and the funny thing is that they usually are the cheapest part of my set up:

Sonic impact T-amp - 30Eur portable amplifier that you can not believe until you actually hear it... it drives my Dali ikon 1 almost better than my Arcam AVR280 in stereo mode.

PS3 - It just can do too much for too little.

Rimax wireless speakers - There is no better way for 40 Eur to ejoy the zone2 anywhere in the hose. Amazing sound for 40 Eur.

Harmony 600 - Thanks to this I can enjoy the rest....

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I am torn between my first ever turntable Pioneer PL512D which gave me so much listening pleasure when I was a teenager but would probably go for my Mission 720's which cost a tenner.

Fabulous looking, still sound truly enjoyable and although I have better and am looking for better these just always sound right, its like you have had a few drinks before when you start listening to them, still sound warm and lots of old school bass, fabulous.

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Sonos with Spotify. It changed what I listened to, where and when I could listen to it. Speakers, CDPs & amps etc can enhance the experience, but Sonos and Spotify changed music for me.

davejberry

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
KEF Cresta 2s I bought as a cinema package instead of Tannoys about 7 years ago...now partnered with my Sony 2400 ES AV amp - just loving the sound they make together from CD and Blu Ray sources

davejberry

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
KEF Cresta 2s I bought as a cinema package instead of Tannoys about 7 years ago...now partnered with my Sony 2400 ES AV amp - just loving the sound they make together from CD and Blu Ray sources

A

Anonymous

chebby said:
AirPlay/iPhone 4

Haven't had so much fun with my hifi since...hmmm...well, ever really.

I can't quite imagine how I survived before playlists. Even now I try sometimes to listen to a whole album of tracks, but find myself skipping over the filler material and onto different albums, tracks and artists.

It also allows me to take the whole music collection to the shed where I have another Airport Express. In fact from an Apple computer you can simultaneously stream to multiple destinations effectively giving you sound everywhere, haven't explored that much though.

So I guess the answer is the iPod Touch + Airplay for me.

spockfish

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Definitely my new Rega DAC. It has brought me sooo much listening pleasure for a rather small investment.

I'm totally in love with it. My wife can hear the difference too. Yesterday she literally said: "it's just like we have a complete new installation!"

T

the record spot

Probably my Sansui AU-217. £33 serviced and delivered and it works and sounds a treat. In near mint condition too.

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
the record spot said:
Probably my Sansui AU-217. £33 serviced and delivered and it works and sounds a treat. In near mint condition too.

Wow thats a great price for the Sansui.

My best second hand purchase is my Denon amp and my best new purchase are my Klipsch bookshelf speakers.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
My brand new RS6s in silver finish for just £273. Whilst everything else has changed these have stayed. However, Sonos really has changed hifi for me.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
I have several pieces that I think are brilliant -

Squeezebox Touch - fantastic product, excellent functionality, sound and price

ATC SCM 50 ASL - these are special

Philips Pronto tsu9400 remote - excellent product (although on the expensive side so not exactly VFM)

highly recommend all three. they seem to be both excellent and 'unique' as none or not many other products offer similar 'package' (maybe except the atc actives). e.g. Benchmark Dac1 HDR is also excellent but you can get similar products elswhere.

A

Anonymous

spockfish said:
Definitely my new Rega DAC. It has brought me sooo much listening pleasure for a rather small investment.

I'm totally in love with it. My wife can hear the difference too. Yesterday she literally said: "it's just like we have a complete new installation!"

Most people in hi-fi fail to realise that CD digital sound is a compressed format (16bits of level at 6dB/bit and 44.1kHz sampling rate) and needs very careful treatment to get a decent analog signal back out of it.

I.e. unlike CD transports (they are digital!) DACs and associated signal processing are central to a good sound. Congrats for finding out yourself now :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts