Yamaha YSP-2200 sound bar or LG NB3520A soundbar.

mooota1514

May 29, 2012
Visit site
Hi what sound bar would you go for "Yamaha YSP-2200 sound bar" or "LG NB3520A soundbar"

http://www.whathifi.com/review/yamaha-ysp-2200

http:// www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/11930476/art/lg/nb3520a-2-1-sound-bar.html

The LG got 5 stars in january 2013 what hifi sound and vision

The yamaha got Best soundbar, Awards 2012.

drichardb

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
They sell the LG at Curry's so pop along to your local store and there's a good chance they will have some setup on their display TV's. Ask for a demo and if you like what you hear then you may have saved youself £500 8)

KeithT

Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
I've just set up a Yamaha YSP2200 so ought to be able to give you some advice but at the mo seem to be having a wee problem, decent front sound but there doesn't appeal to be any depth (to the rear) being created. Thoughts anyone?

mattmeer

May 14, 2011
Visit site
With the Yamaha YSP 2200 the auto-calibration with the mic is OK, but you really need to tweak the settings manually to get the best results. Tweak the directions of the beams of the rear channels until you get more depth

jabirugpa

Sep 14, 2007
Visit site
For what it's worth, I've had my Yamaha YSP2200 for several months, and it's the one piece of equipment that I very much regret buying! I've messed about with the settings many times but still can't get any rear sound effects at all; however, to be fair to the Yamaha, the front sounds wide and the quality is fine, nevertheless I'm sure you could get that quality of sound for a lot less than £700.

If you like the LG, you'll save yourself a bundle!

A

Anonymous

Hi,

I've been using the 2200 for a good 9 months now and am really enjoying the sound effects this can produce. Would I say it's a direct replacement for a true separates system ? No, but it ain't far off and is a dam good compromise when the wife says NO to all those speakers and nasty wires trailing up the wall !!!

Tried the auto set up first off but wasn't impressed with the results at all. Then I did a manual set up, wow what a difference this can make. In the manual set up you can move the sounds of different channels around by the means of a test tone, placing each speaker tone just where you want it. After that it gets a little more complicated with things like 'focal points', 'beam lengths' and 'image location'.

Ive just this week hooked it up to my new blu-ray player and now enjoying the sounds from the DTS-HD soundtracks that come with the films.

Hope this helps a little,

Phil.

A

Anonymous

Evening guys,

keith, you were asking how to do a manual set up ? Couple of questions from me first off. Have you got the instructions manual ? I have it as a PDF file on my phone so I can read it and try to decipher it when I have a spare five nins ! And have you got the av cable plugged into your tv so you can see the on screen directions when doing the setting up ?

The manual set up is found within the set up menu. Scrole down until you find manual set up. First thig it asks you to set up is the room peramiters. Wall or corner ? Then set the sizes. Next up is the beam angle, beam lengths and finally the focal point. Personally, I skip tis section until I've set up the image location which is next in the list. I do this first as doing the beam angles before this gives a poor result. Once your happy with the image location do the beam angles for each speaker, you should be able to move each speaker tone to where you want it. For the beam lengths, do a rough measurement on where the sound comes from the bar, bounces off the wall and crosses over your seating position. Last thing to mess with, ( I still mess with this setting myself) is the focal points. This adjusts how far in front or behind you the sound beams pass. Once you've set it up, don't forget to save your settings, ( setup, memory, save123 ?)

Have you had a play with the different sound outputs . ie, sterio 3beam or 5beam out. Then of course 5.1 or 7.1 ? I find 7.1 too busy so I stick with 5.1.

I hope this kind of helps. im not normally an instructions reading kind of guy, but without it this soundbar isnt much good. Once set up correctly tho, this bar really does deliver.

Happy playing,

Phil.

KeithT

Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi Phil,

I've a very basic one that came with it but will have a look at the web site and see what I can download. All I've looked at are the menu instructions on the soundbar which don't really help much. The on screen is still plugged in so I'll have a look at that in due course. And report back!

I was planning to go for an Apex system but bought this as an interim set up; so it's got a lot of work to do to persuade me to keep it!

Keith

A

Anonymous

Kieth,

Reading your reply this morning has kind of left me wishing I hadn't gone into such detail.

My next advice, stick it on ebay and buy the one you really want.

Cheers,

Phil.

Naxos

Oct 31, 2008
Visit site
I've actually just purchased this sound bar to replace my 5.1 system. I've downloaded the pdf manual, but I've yet to set the bar up, so I'm very grateful for the manual set-up tips. I'm guessing from what I've read that auto set-up will kind of get you in the ball-park, and then it's a case of tweaking and fine-tuning? I have a fairly straightforward rectangular room with the TV and soundbar/sub between my hi-fi speakers roughly halfway down one of the shorter walls in front of a large window, so I'm not anticipating major difficulties.

A

Anonymous

Ive had the Yamaha 2200 for a couple of months and was very happy with It hooked up to a Sony Bravia.

Ive just changed to an LG 3D smart TV. Im connected as Instucted, via the ARC Input which Is great for Sky.

Its when I go onto the 'smart' area ie. BBC iplayer that i get no sound Into the soundbar. Ive played around, checked both sets of Instuctions to no avail, the sound will only come out of the TV. Probably something straightforward but I'm missing It.

Anyone have any Ideas at all please?

A

Anonymous

Hi palaceman,

You say you've got your sky box connected up to it but you've not said how. As the sky box doesn't transmit DD 5.1 thru the hdmi port i'm guessing it's connected via one of digital output sockets. ?

How is your tv connected to the bar ? Do you get sound from the bar when using one of the in built tunners ?

Cheers,

Phil.

A

Anonymous

Sorry palaceman, just read up on the ARC function, my tv doesn't support it. It says you can select what type of audio input it recieves. Could it be that you have yours set to digital and the smart stuff is probably anologue ? Maybe worth a try.

Cheers,

Phil.

A

Anonymous

squareeyes said:
Sorry palaceman, just read up on the ARC function, my tv doesn't support it. It says you can select what type of audio input it recieves. Could it be that you have yours set to digital and the smart stuff is probably anologue ? Maybe worth a try.

Cheers,

Phil.

Phil thanks for the reply, I can't seem to find any separate output for the smart area. I think I'll give Yamaha a ring to sort it.

A

Anonymous

No worries mate, sorry i couldn't help.

Post back what Yamaha have to say tho won't you.

Cheers,

Phil.

A

Anonymous

squareeyes said:
No worries mate, sorry i couldn't help.

Post back what Yamaha have to say tho won't you.

Cheers,

Phil.

Have so far got a result, I tried an optical cable from the TV into the TV input on the 2200 with no luck then tried it in the other optical slot, input 1, for it to work!! Surprised neither 2200 or TV manual suggests this, they give the impression it all runs via HDMI. Maybe it can, but yet to suss it out, shall wait forvYamahas response.

A

Anonymous

That's good news then.

Could it be that the tv input was set to recieve a different input method ? You can asign the TV output to recieve a veriety of signal input connections.

Phil.

A

Anonymous

Hi palaceman, could you just confirm how your sky box is connected and if you use any of the tuners built into the tv. I'm just trying to get my head around what signals the bar is receiving.

Cheers,

Phil.

A

Anonymous

squareeyes said:
Hi palaceman, could you just confirm how your sky box is connected and if you use any of the tuners built into the tv. I'm just trying to get my head around what signals the bar is receiving.

Cheers,

Phil.

Hi Phil,

my Sky box goes into the 2200 as does my blu-ray via HDMI. Then out of the 2200 into the TV's HDMI ARC input, which is the first HDMI slot of four and the recommended one. The TV is then selected to HDMI 1 which marries up with HDMI 1 on the soundbar. As does the blu ray when required. It's then when I switch to smart, which comes via the Internet, that it won't come via HDMI.

At the minute the optical from the TV into, input 1 on the 2200 works well so I'm fairly content with that. I've still not heard from Yamaha if this is the best way or only way to receive sound from the smart bit.

Thanks for your interest,

also,

Phil.

clle

May 31, 2008
Visit site
Hi don't know if this will help but I have the hdmi direct from sky into my TV for the picture not the YSP 2200 and then the optical lead from sky to the yamaha for sound. For the smart function could then you put the hdmi direct from another of the TV's HDMI inputs to an HDMI input on the soundbar ?

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Colin

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts