YAMAHA RXV2065 £500 vs Onkyo TX-NR808 £800

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi guys

Bit of a no brainer this maybe, but thought it was worth asking the opinions of you experts.

Id like a new AV Amp, needs to have 2 hdmi output, not bothered about 3D.

The 2 options that I've narrowed it down to are those in the title.

The Onkyo is top of my budget, the other is obviously 300 quid less - do you think the performance would reflect this, as I've no easy way of demoing these units.

Ive heard great things about Onkyo, and had Yammy in the past (though not since the A2) and been happy.

Is it a daft question with the Yammy being so much cheaper ?

Any opinions ?

Thanks a lot

Scott

A

Anonymous

I would add the RXV1067 to that list also, it comes in between the 2 around £650 but has 2 HDMI outs also. Or even the RXV2067 at around £800

A

Anonymous

Why dont you look at the TX-SR876 ? I know it's an older model, but if you are not looking at 3D anyway, then it should be not a bad choice!?

ScottyH:
Hi guys

Bit of a no brainer this maybe, but thought it was worth asking the opinions of you experts.

Id like a new AV Amp, needs to have 2 hdmi output, not bothered about 3D.

The 2 options that I've narrowed it down to are those in the title.

The Onkyo is top of my budget, the other is obviously 300 quid less - do you think the performance would reflect this, as I've no easy way of demoing these units.

Ive heard great things about Onkyo, and had Yammy in the past (though not since the A2) and been happy.

Is it a daft question with the Yammy being so much cheaper ?

Any opinions ?

Thanks a lot

Scott

Hi Scott

The RX-V2065 was already good enough at £1100 however at £500 the RX-V2065 is a no brainer and a bargain
emotion-21.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Thanks guys.

Initially it will be using my little speakers from my logitech z-5500, but they will be replaced in the next spending spree - which will obviously be sooner if I go for the yammy.

Id thought about the onkyo 876, but discounted it over the lack of a front hdmi input, only a minor point - would you say its worth considering over the yamaha then ?

Thanks for all the great advice everyone.

A

Anonymous

It's hard to get a straight answer sometimes when all you get is opinionated suggestions, if your willing spend more for the onkyo you will get more for your money, and be more future proofed ( put expensive upgrades off further down the line .

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
Petemad:It's hard to get a straight answer sometimes when all you get is opinionated suggestions, if your willing spend more for the onkyo you will get more for your money, and be more future proofed ( put expensive upgrades off further down the line .

That's exactly what you'll get on any forum - an opinion and a suggestion. What's wrong with that Madpete?

A

Anonymous

Petemad:It's hard to get a straight answer sometimes when all you get is opinionated suggestions, if your willing spend more for the onkyo you will get more for your money, and be more future proofed ( put expensive upgrades off further down the line .

Surely he will get "more" for he's money by buying the Yamaha, not the Onkyo as it's cheaper per £, performance wise. And if he's not interested in 3D, then he won't want to upgrade anyway.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
It would be a 1067 for me. The 2065 was good but there is a reason it is selling ( or not as the case may be ) at £500. The new range of Yamaha amps are a good step up over last years models and it give the 808 a run for its money.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I was doing a dem for a forum member yesterday who was wondering whether to jack in his hi-fi and just use an AV system for everything, so he was trying a hi-fi amp against the Onkyo 808, just in 2 channel. I must say I'm pleasantly surprised at how much Onkyo have improved their amplification in their AV receivers. Somtimes it's not always apparent in an AV dem, but more so when auditioned in a hi-fi demo m in 2 channel mode.

While the hi-fi amplifier did sound better for music, I think a lot of people would be more than happy with the likes of newer receivers acting as hi-fi amplifiers, especially with their added abilities of access to internet radio stations, and in some cases, Napster and Last.FM, as well as being able to stream from their PC's.

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
At the moment - unless I'm mistaken - this debate is a bit premature as the OP's speaker set (Logitech z-5500) isn't compatible with an AV amp. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's the case.

A

Anonymous

Buy the Onkyo TX-NR1008 from HERE for £60 more than the 808. Use return4 at checkout for another £36:00 off totaling just £864:00 for a £1300 AV amp.

emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Sorreltiger - I've seen the Z-5500 plugged into an onkyo amp before, what makes you say they're not compatible ?

A

Anonymous

macster - that would have been a good deal, had they been in stock.

That said, the 1009 is identical but just adds 2 more speakers which I wouldn't use.

Thanks though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts