Yamaha RX-V2065 or Pioneer VSX-LX52

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am currently deciding which of these 2 amps to purchase. I would appreciate any opinions/advice re which amp is the better option. Particularly, I cannot find a review on this site of the 2065, so I am keen to get some feedback on it.

It will be partnered with 2 B&W 685's and a HTM62 at the front, along with 2 M-1's at the rear. It will be connected to an Oppo Blu Ray player primarily. I will also be powering a 2nd zone of stereo speakers.

Thanks in anticipation!!

justin_f:

I am currently deciding which of these 2 amps to purchase. I would appreciate any opinions/advice re which amp is the better option. Particularly, I cannot find a review on this site of the 2065, so I am keen to get some feedback on it.

It will be partnered with 2 B&W 685's and a HTM62 at the front, along with 2 M-1's at the rear. It will be connected to an Oppo Blu Ray player primarily. I will also be powering a 2nd zone of stereo speakers.

Thanks in anticipation!!

Hi justin_f

The RX-V2065 has replaced the already excellent RX-V1900 and builds on it's strengths. It would be the one that i would recommend with your B&W speakers.

Btw, the RX-V2065 has multi playback for three zones.

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
I'm surprised you both have said this cos the two reviews I have found on the RX-V2065 are not the best reviews I've ever read.

The problems are:

Bad: Lack of on-board video processing No digital audio assigning The ever-present competition

And the other review said:

Lows: No video signal processor, Non-assignable digital audio inputs, Can't pair HDMI video with multi-channel analog inputs.

But if you don't need these features, both reviews suggest it's a fine receiver.

A

Anonymous

Pistol Pete1:
Bad: Lack of on-board video processing No digital audio assigning The ever-present competition

Lows: No video signal processor, Non-assignable digital audio inputs, Can't pair HDMI video with multi-channel analog inputs.

To be fair, the OP has said they'll be using the amp predominantly for BD playback from their Oppo BD player. In that case, processing of the video signal isn't really required, and assigning of digital audio is irrelevant.

I'm considering the same 2 amps at the moment, and everyone is telling me that the Pioneer will aggravate the "bright" nature of my B&W speakers (I'm running P4s with HTM62 and M1 rears).

I'm replacing a Denon 2808 (mainly because of a lack of HDMI sockets), and the Yamaha is supposed to have a warmer sound that will better suit the balance of my speakers... I'll find out tomorrow, because I'm demoing the Pioneer!

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Fair enuf, to be fair, most source components have upscaling built in nowadays.........

One question though, as you like Denon's, why not demo the 2310/3310 too? I assume you still like the Denon sound, and as mentioned, would be upgrading due to lack of HDMI sockets only?

A

Anonymous

Pistol Pete1:
One question though, as you like Denon's, why not demo the 2310/3310 too? I assume you still like the Denon sound, and as mentioned, would be upgrading due to lack of HDMI sockets only?

Yep - the Denon 2808 is in use in my cinema room, which now has a 26" Samsung LCD (for "work" - playing games on the Xbox) as well as the Sony HW10 hanging from the ceiling - therefore I need 2 outputs. I also have a BD player, Xbox, and now 2 HDMI-equipped PCs to plug in to the amp as well (real work this time!), so I need at least 4 HDMI inputs.

The other option I considered was to keep the 2808 and get a matrix device to handle HDMI routing... but a decent 4x4 matrix costs more than the Yamaha amp, and don't come with a free iPod like the Pioneer does (since I'd be buying with the matching BD player!)

I had also considered the Marantz SR6003/4 (esp. since they can be upgraded seamlessly with the VS3002 HDMI Extender) but didn't like the idea of losing Audyssey when bitstreaming HD audio (although whether I'd notice any change in quality between bitstreaming and LPCM from something like the Pioneer BDP-LX52 is another matter!)

A

Anonymous

Ok - for my ears, the Pioneer kit sounds good with my B&W speakers... So good, in fact, I left the shop with a VSX-LX52 and a BDP-LX52 in the boot of my car!

I must stress the importance of demoing for extended periods with the right speakers, though. And whilst I am very happy with my purchases (and happier still once I get my hands on that free iPod!), please don't buy on the back of other people's recommendations. Everyone's ears are different, and my "exciting" could be your "fatiguing" or "bright".

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts