Looking for budget floorstanders.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 160668

I feel there's some info missing here. How big is the room? What is the rest of the kit?

£1500 is a healthy budget for some pretty decent (and not budget) floorstanders, plus a very capable and well partnered amp if you shop well, and second hand.

SeattleChris

Apr 15, 2021
Visit site
Space/neighbor constraints aside, wouldn't "budget floorstanders" = bookshelfs + sub? I think you can get a lot more bang (literally) for the buck going that route.

Here's my rationale: The sub probably doesn't need to be in the same "quality" category as the bookshelfs, allowing your budget to afford you better bookshelfs where imaging is more important. Then a powered sub relieves your amp from driving bass, allowing your budget to afford you a better quality (lower wattage) amp. Finally, how many floorstanders have 12" woofers and at what price?

I've used four different subs in three different rooms with bookshelfs and always felt my system punches above its weight (cost). I do like me a good thumpin' though, so maybe I'm not so sensitive to sub integration problems.

Richer Sounds

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
No, it's the other one, Richer. I considered complaining, but honestly I can't be bothered going through the rigmarole of having to persuade any business to take my cash.

I was sorry to read on this thread that you had a poor experience at one of our branches recently and offer my apologies.

So that I may investigate further, and resolve the matter to your satisfaction, please could you contact me? My e-mail address is..

tomg@richesounds.com

Sincere apologies again and hope to hear from you soon.

Tom Griffiths
Head of Customer Service
Richer Sounds

Dave B

Feb 16, 2022
Visit site
Hi all, John's the name & listening to good sounds is the game... Ok, cheesy introduction I know. However, the reason I am here today is that I am wanting to upgrade my existing Mission M70 floorstanders that I have had for nearly 23 years now. Even though these speakers have been fantastic speakers I feel it is time now for a change & to upgrade to something a little more updated. My budget is up to the £1,500 figure & they will be powered by a Yamaha RX-V475 AV Receiver (SEE STATS BELOW). I listen to a huge variety of music from mainly '80s,90's dance, indie, & anything else I like the sound of. Would love to hear feedback & recommendations from owners of floorstanders & why they rate them.

Rated Output Power (1kHz, 1ch driven)115W (8ohms, 0.9% THD)
Rated Output Power (20Hz-20kHz, 2ch driven)80W (8ohms, 0.09% THD)
Maximum Effective Output Power (1kHz, 1ch driven) (JEITA)135W (6ohms, 10% THD)
Dynamic Power per Channel (8/6/4/2 ohms)-/110/130/160/W
I managed to get a deal on a Yamaha RN803D and Monitor Audio Silver 300's in November '21 for £1400. I can't recommend the combination highly enough but I don't really have much reference for comparison apart from an instore demo of Dali Oberon 5's and Cambridge CXA81. My purchase was far better then the demo, very glad to have made that choice.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts