Best new amp for old speakers

Sundance

Feb 26, 2015
Visit site
Hi Everybody,
I'm looking to buy a new stero amplifier for an existing system and could really do with some advice. I'm not actually sure a decent one exists that fits this brief.The existing system is the fairly old system and belongs to my landlord (described below). One of the channels on the amp has given up the ghost and I'd like to replace it with an amp of my own (landloard now lives in the US and wouldn't be interested in fixing/replacing his amp). I don't want to replace the whole system for now so I am looking for an amp that would suit the existing speakers but one day when I move I'd get my own speakers which would pair nicely with the my new amp.The existing system is made up of the following amp and two pairs of speakers:Rega Brio amp (this has no model number so I believe it is the original version)KEF Q55 speakers - http://kef.com/html/us/explore/about_kef/museum/1990s/Q15_Q35_Q55_Q65_Q65SE_Q75/index.htmlMordaunt Short MS302 speakers - http://www.hifix.co.uk/discontinued-products.lasso?item=f68b444313652a4e62ebe1bcbb7d59afThe two pairs of speakers are connected to the amp via a QED MA17 switch which I believe ensures that the load presented to the amplifier will not drop below 8 ohms (providing you use two pairs of 8 ohm speakers). However the two pairs of speakers are 6 ohms and 4-8 ohms respectively so the landlord's setup maybe flawed anyway (?).What I'd like to achieve is a way to connect both sets of speakers to one amp and ideally be able to select one, other, or both pairs e.g. A, B, or A+B.I mainly listen to music digitally so had considered the following amps given my budget is about £200 to £400.Marantz PM6005NAD D 3020 Monitor Audio Airstream A100However having looked at this further I'm not sure any of the above would allow me to play both pairs of speakers at once (e.g. A+B). I actual wrote to Marantz and they've confirmed this to be the case (not sure about the other two though).So my questions are:Would any of the above amps provide a solution? If not what amp would people recommend? Also is my landlords set up actually flawed? The Rega Brio specs are hard to track down but I think they look like - Rated output power (RMS continuous at 1kHz): 30Wpc into 8 ohms, both channels driven (14.8dBW); 35Wpc into 8 ohms, one channel driven (15.4dBW). Line-level input sensitivity: 150mV. Phono input sensitivity: 4.2mV. Power consumption: 100W at maximum output. From what I've been able to learn the impedances don't seem to add up in the system and the Wpc seem pretty low for the Q55s (but very new to this). What is the best setup for these speakers and an amp?I've read up on this quite a bit now but still feel unsure about what would work. Your advice would be greatly appreciated.ThanksGavin

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Without knowing quite hoe the MA17 is wired it is difficult to be sure, but I would guess that it provides so additional resistive loading to keep the loading up around 8 ohms. Using lower impedence speakers will probably result in a lower figure but still one that any compedent amplifier should be able to handle.

I f you choose to dispense with the MA17 than any similar amplifier with suitable A, B, and A + B selection will work fine as long as you do not drive it hard into both pairs of speakers at the same time. The lower impedence could cause the amplifier to run warm or even shut down but you would have to be working it pretty hard for that to happen.

Overall I think keeping the MA17 may be the best bet, in which case speaker switching is irrelevant.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts