Looking for budget floorstanders.

Jpok1000

Feb 7, 2022
www.facebook.com
Hi all, John's the name & listening to good sounds is the game... Ok, cheesy introduction I know. However, the reason I am here today is that I am wanting to upgrade my existing Mission M70 floorstanders that I have had for nearly 23 years now. Even though these speakers have been fantastic speakers I feel it is time now for a change & to upgrade to something a little more updated. My budget is up to the £1,500 figure & they will be powered by a Yamaha RX-V475 AV Receiver (SEE STATS BELOW). I listen to a huge variety of music from mainly '80s,90's dance, indie, & anything else I like the sound of. Would love to hear feedback & recommendations from owners of floorstanders & why they rate them.

Rated Output Power (1kHz, 1ch driven)115W (8ohms, 0.9% THD)
Rated Output Power (20Hz-20kHz, 2ch driven)80W (8ohms, 0.09% THD)
Maximum Effective Output Power (1kHz, 1ch driven) (JEITA)135W (6ohms, 10% THD)
Dynamic Power per Channel (8/6/4/2 ohms)-/110/130/160/W

jjbomber

Hi all, John's the name & listening to good sounds is the game... Ok, cheesy introduction I know. However, the reason I am here today is that I am wanting to upgrade my existing Mission M70 floorstanders that I have had for nearly 23 years now.
Speakers going dead cheap second hand at the moment. If it was me I'd have a look at Gumtree, ebay etc and see if there's anything local. Never know your luck.

Hi all, John's the name & listening to good sounds is the game... Ok, cheesy introduction I know. However, the reason I am here today is that I am wanting to upgrade my existing Mission M70 floorstanders that I have had for nearly 23 years now. Even though these speakers have been fantastic speakers I feel it is time now for a change & to upgrade to something a little more updated. My budget is up to the £1,500 figure & they will be powered by a Yamaha RX-V475 AV Receiver (SEE STATS BELOW). I listen to a huge variety of music from mainly '80s,90's dance, indie, & anything else I like the sound of. Would love to hear feedback & recommendations from owners of floorstanders & why they rate them.

Rated Output Power (1kHz, 1ch driven)115W (8ohms, 0.9% THD)
Rated Output Power (20Hz-20kHz, 2ch driven)80W (8ohms, 0.09% THD)
Maximum Effective Output Power (1kHz, 1ch driven) (JEITA)135W (6ohms, 10% THD)
Dynamic Power per Channel (8/6/4/2 ohms)-/110/130/160/W
I would be splitting the £1500 budget between speakers and amp. I would book a demo at your nearest dealer. Tell them your max budget and have a side by side comparison.

Reactions: rainsoothe

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
I agree with pp...you'd be doing speakers at that price bracket a huge disservice driving them (not very well) with the yamaha,....and you won't have heard what your current mission speakers are capable of either, sorry for being so blunt.

Sixtyten

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
Assuming you can even get a demo. Case in point; in November I booked a demo of the Q Acoustics 3050i home theatre system in the local (franchised) branch of a leading national UK chain. I did it online. I was then inundated with reminders. The allotted day arrived. I packed up my Arcam A19, boxed my DAC and stuck my laptop under my arm and away I went. As I parked up, I got another text reminder about my booking. You can imagine the surprise when I arrived at the door. "Appointment? You don't have an appointment" "Er, I do". "Er okay let me check. Ah yes, you do, but we can't do a demo because the demo room is full of stock" "You what, I booked this a fortnight ago" "You can demo it here on the shop floor, I just move these boxes out of the way" "But I want to hear the whole kit" "Er....we can't do that" "Okay" I then picked up my belongings and left. On to the next dealer. Rang them up "I'd like to hear the BW 603 S2 please" "Sorry we don't have a demo pair. I can sell you them though" "But I want to hear the home theatre kit" "No, we don't have any on demo, but I can sell you it if you want?" "I'm not going to spend over three grand on speakers without hearing them" "other people do..." "I'm not other people - what happens if were to buy them and I don't like them, can I bring them back?" "Yes, but there's a £500 restock fee". "you what?"

At that point, I gave up. My current Mission kit will do for another few years.

Reactions: Al ears
Assuming you can even get a demo. Case in point; in November I booked a demo of the Q Acoustics 3050i home theatre system in the local (franchised) branch of a leading national UK chain. I did it online. I was then inundated with reminders. The allotted day arrived. I packed up my Arcam A19, boxed my DAC and stuck my laptop under my arm and away I went. As I parked up, I got another text reminder about my booking. You can imagine the surprise when I arrived at the door. "Appointment? You don't have an appointment" "Er, I do". "Er okay let me check. Ah yes, you do, but we can't do a demo because the demo room is full of stock" "You what, I booked this a fortnight ago" "You can demo it here on the shop floor, I just move these boxes out of the way" "But I want to hear the whole kit" "Er....we can't do that" "Okay" I then picked up my belongings and left. On to the next dealer. Rang them up "I'd like to hear the BW 603 S2 please" "Sorry we don't have a demo pair. I can sell you them though" "But I want to hear the home theatre kit" "No, we don't have any on demo, but I can sell you it if you want?" "I'm not going to spend over three grand on speakers without hearing them" "other people do..." "I'm not other people - what happens if were to buy them and I don't like them, can I bring them back?" "Yes, but there's a £500 restock fee". "you what?"

Some don't make it easy do they.....

local (franchised) branch of a leading national UK chain.

You are allowed to name and shame - I'm guessing from the word 'franchised' that this might be Sevenoaks?

"I'm not going to spend over three grand on speakers without hearing them" "other people do..." "I'm not other people - what happens if were to buy them and I don't like them, can I bring them back?" "Yes, but there's a £500 restock fee". "you what?"

Never heard of a 'restock' fee - would have headed out of the door too. When I bought my last car I was told that others bought without a test drive. Not me.

D

Deleted member 197450

Why don’t you demo in store if you can then buy online? You have more rights that way.

Reactions: shadders

rainsoothe

I would be splitting the £1500 budget between speakers and amp. I would book a demo at your nearest dealer. Tell them your max budget and have a side by side comparison.
+1 to getting a better amp in the process. Also, how big is your room, how far away from the walls can the speakers be and what are your sources (cd player, streamer, turntable etc)?

robdmarsh

That's an awful tale... you poor s*d! I think that retailer, whoever it was, deserve a total mauling on wherever most people will see it! It's absolutely pathetic😒

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts