Yamaha RX-V1065

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Ok thanks Andrew, that's put my mind at rest. I'll take the Onkyo 607 back and get the Yamaha.

A

Anonymous

Hi Gareth,

Well I have had this receiver for almost two months now and what I can say is that am not happy with my purchase. I feel like something is lucking in its performance. When the review came out there was mentioned of poor dialogue and I agree with them.

But like I have said I feel like I get satisfactions from using my 30 quid logitech X-230 speakers than I am now while using this expensive purchase. If you have the chance my be convince your nearest hifi store to see if you could audition this with your speakers and see if you like it.

Most people here may just say go for it because on paper it looks nice, but I have lived with it now for two months and am still not happy. Most of the time its just everyday TV am using it for my SKY HD PLUS and it does me no joy and I like I said when I swap with the Logitech the smile comes back

Am not using ordinary speakers. I went for Accoustic Energy Neo 5.1 and they carry four stars from what hifi review and that is when they fall under the 1000 quid price and buying them for 600 quid today should get them a FIVE star. I went all the way to buy all the recommended wiring so where I got it wrong I dont know. For me I just fell that theYAMAHA RX-1065 is no delivering. so before you take that denon back think carefully

two4one

seasiders rock

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
emotion-11.gif
Very strange, i have the model under yours the 765 and prefer it to the 1910, imho it,s built better, feels far more solid and to be honest i prefer the sound to the 1910. Works with all the kit i have, Bt Vision box, BDPS350, i had issues with the Denon and the Vision box connected by HDMI, the Yamaha is faultless.

Loud enough, are front room is huge, 2 rooms knocked into one, no problems, apart from the dog which hides under the bed upstairs.

Try a system restore take your time and set it up again from scratch..

A

Anonymous

Hi two4one,

Well I did actually take the Onkyo 607 back in the end (without opening the box) and bought the Yamaha 1065 instead. It arrived yesterday and I set it up last night. I'm also finding that I have to turn the volume up to -20 when watching Sky, but it does appear louder on some channels than others. I've never owned an amp before so it's difficult to gauge it's performance in all honesty. I just run the YPAO auto-setup and let it do it's thing. I can't say I'm really blown away by it's performance (with my Teufel Motiv 3 speakers) at this stage but then again I may not have it set up properly and need time to play around with it. I bought it online so I get 7 days to see if I like it. I'll see how it goes.

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
I got my 1065 yesterday. It replaces two Sony SRTR2400s which were sent back as neither would output any decent volume on the centre channel.

Tha Yamaha, by contrast, was a doddle to set up and so far I've watched a Blu Ray and some TV and it sounds great. The dialogue is really clear and prominent and I've only used the auto set up and have done no tweaking at all yet.

So far I'm really happy with it. It sounded a bit harsh at first but even after an hour or so's use it's mellowed out and sounds great. I can't wait to give it a proper work out.

A

Anonymous

Regarding the volume 'issue', I asked another owner about this who told me:

I have mine set anywhere between -35 & 0.

-35dB: Quiet room listening to some background Radio 3 whilst I work
-25dB to -20dB: Playing some PS3
-20dB to -10dB: Watching movies
-10dB to 0dB: Listening to loud music
+0dB: You better have a detached house or a good excuse.

So having to turn the volume up to ~-20dB seems to be perfectly normal.

Lazarus... I haven't heard many people complain about this amp at all, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

A

Anonymous

Well Yesterday I went into my loft and brought out my old amplifiers and I told myself I would disconnet the Yamaha RX-V1065 and try out my AE neo 5.1s

1st test was my ampilifier from my old Sanyo Hifi bought from comet in 2001.. SANYO JCX- X5

with this I could only connect the two floor standers and the subwoofer. when I connect them my wife was in the kitchen and she came into the sitting room and said whatever you are doing I think you have done the right thing and now I know where you bought these big speakers. At this time I was listening to a cd. The speakers for the first time since I bought them were full of life and I was truelly appreciating them. The volume on the amp was just under 15. I had to reduce the base to under -3 other wise most things were vibrating in my sitting room.

I then played the Bluray disc of Matrix reloaded and went straight to the scene of the keymaker for some action and the motorway car chase. The speakers took on a completely new life, the action was emmence and booming and thundering coming from the two floor standers was just undescrible. At this time my wife had gone upstairs to and she had to tell my daughter to ask me to turn the thing down and at first she thought it was an earth quake. I was enjoying my films again.

2nd Test was my old hometheatre receiver Philips LX 3000D faithfull served me for about 6 years.

Now this one gave me a chance to test all the 5.1 speakers. The music did not come out as good as with the sanyo but it was far better than the Yamaha and I did not have to push the volume too hard. The blueray was a joy with this one and the sound from the sorrounds was wonderfull. I had to go to work for my night shift and I did not even bother to disconnect the Philps receiver an reconnect the Yamaha. I left the family watching X factor and the wife had to turn the volume down again because now it was too high where as before with the yamaha we were never satisfied.

Now am asking my self why did I have to spend £500 quid? Did I really need to or should I have just recycled the old amps? My TV can take two HDMI cables and I definetly do not need the upscalling since my sources are already HD. All I need the receiver for is some decent sound which at the moment am not getting. Some of you may since I will miss out on some decent sound formats from HDMI but all I need is my thundering on my action movies and some decent music.

Looks like the Yamaha will find its way to EBAY Very soon unless it does some wonders.

Disappointed I remain with the Yamaha RX-V1065 and in my books I think I will give TWO stars and only to be generous may be 3 maximum.

Two4one

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
If you were describing a sub £500 Av receiver, I could understand your issues, but the 1065 is a £700 one. I can't help thinking that there may be some setup issue that is holding the Yamaha back for you. Getting 2 speakers to sound good in a room is far easier than trying to get 5 speakers and a sub to do the same.

One thing is to double check the dynamic control isn't set to medium or minimum, as this should be set to max. Also, make sure the right audio format is getting through to the amplifier. Dolby Digital and DTS can initially sound much fuller and sometimes more impressive initially than a HD audio soundtrack, but settle into it and you'll realise that in comparison, these HD audio tracks are far more neutral sounding, and drag out more detail and punch.

Did you use the YPAO auto setup?

A

Anonymous

Hi David,

Thanks for your input. Yes I did the automatic YPAO set up. at first could not find my left speaker. Second time it did. Have also done the software update as well.

If you read some of the above articles you will find that am not the only one who is not happy. Here is a qoate from Gareth

I chose to differ with him on this. I do not find having to turn up my volume on a 700 quid up to -20 as being normal. I still can not accept that. At the moment I have got the volume at under 10 on the Philips receiver and am satisfied.

I will try reconnecting and starting all over again

Thanks oncr again

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
After using the mic set up, did you re adjust each speaker level manually?

The mic will set all speakers to a -7dB's or so, but if you add, say, 10dB's to all channels, suddenly you get more volume but the amount is the same per channel so not destoying the work of the mic set up?

All my speaker level settings are positive numbers.....

Not read all this post, so apologise if you have done this already, but I missed reading it....

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
two4one: If you read some of the above articles you will find that am not the only one who is not happy. Here is a qoate from Gareth

I chose to differ with him on this. I do not find having to turn up my volume on a 700 quid up to -20 as being normal. I still can not accept that. At the moment I have got the volume at under 10 on the Philips receiver and am satisfied.I can see why people find these volume controls weird if they're used to normal 0-10 volume controls. An AV receievr works in a different way. A hi-fi amp's volume is non linear, as can be demonstrated by gainging more in the first quarter than in say the second quarter. Most amplifier's maximum output is usually around the 12 o'clock position, so once you're nearing 11, you're getting close to erverything your amp has to offer. An AV receiver works all the way up to 0, then usually further up to +10 or even +15/20. I know at first it feels like it's wrong to be approaching zero, but with all the different sources that people use with these amps, they all have different output levels, which means their ideal volume setting is going to be different - this is the same with a 2 channel audio system. Most decent AV amps will work quite happily up to -10, and as long as you have decent speakers, up to 0 and beyond without any issues.

For me, most of my movies are played around -20dB, sometimes -15dB. Only very ocassionally have I needed to go as far as -10dB. But I know my system will happily play at 0dB, so it doesn't worry me. You'll find Dolby Digital and DTS will come across louder than PCM/True HD/Master Audio. This I can only relate to CD's - CD's with a better dynamic range tend to be quieter overall, whereas compressed and badly recorded music tends to be louder for the same volume setting as their level is max'd out.

All this is normal, and will be the same whichever AV receiver you choose. Once you get to a certain price level, each input can be 'trimmed' - in other words, boosted or cut so that when you switch inputs, they'll all be roughly the same volume.

A

Anonymous

hi garethrobinson1

i wold like to know whow u rate the teufel motiv 3 speaker package as i am just about to order a set of them any help would be great .

I am going to use them with the new marantz sr5004

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts