Yamaha RX-V1065

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Well, the Yamaha RX-V2065 is better than the 1900 spec-wise & will sound atleast as good if not better. It has 2 HDMI outs & an ethernet port. A 3 week wait is nothing as compared to a lifetime of enjoyment of movies & music (plus, future proof for your possible next projector purchase & easy firmware upgrades).

A

Anonymous

If this Yamaha is better than the Denon 2310 please don't tell me! This Yamaha was exactly the same price as the Denon and I was torn between the 2 of them. Obviously I went with the Denon.

Until we get the review here what do we reckon? Have I been lucky or not?!

lazarus:Ok,I do understand that.But I got the impression that the rx-v1900 sounds more detailed(if you read both reviews)and has a better sound.There is after all a 1 star difference.

The Yamaha is the best sounding receiver for my needs. Very detailed, warm sound. Ofcourse, as I said before, preferences are subjective. The 1 star difference doesn't mean much in real life. A lot of excellent products were initially given 5 stars & then dropped a star when newer products came in (like the Panasonic BD60 blu-ray player which was the What hi-Fi winner last year or the Pioneer receivers dropped a star each when Sony came along). That does not mean that the product itself is bad.

Demo the products & see what you like. The product reviews are a good guide as to what to look for, but not a decider for your needs. There will be an appreciable difference between a 5 star product & a 3 star product. But most of the time, there's not much to differentiate between a 5 star & a 4 star product. Look specifically what feature has caused it to drop a star, & see how important that is to you.

Daveee:

If this Yamaha is better than the Denon 2310 please don't tell me! This Yamaha was exactly the same price as the Denon and I was torn between the 2 of them. Obviously I went with the Denon.

Until we get the review here what do we reckon? Have I been lucky or not?!

The Yamaha RX-V1900 is a step above the Denon 2310....it's more in the league of 3310. Did you demo them before you bought your Denon? But, at the end of the day, are you not happy with your Denon? If you are, then why worry which is better & spoil your experience with the Denon?

A

Anonymous

bigboss:Well, the Yamaha RX-V2065 is better than the 1900 spec-wise & will sound atleast as good if not better. It has 2 HDMI outs & an ethernet port. A 3 week wait is nothing as compared to a lifetime of enjoyment of movies & music (plus, future proof for your possible next projector purchase & easy firmware upgrades).

I'd had a customer service nightmare up to that point and had already been without music and film for 3 weeks. I decided to go with what I new was an excellent product rather than opt for an unknown quantity.

Plus I run my RX-V1900 off an HTPC so I've no real need for an ethernet port.

A

Anonymous

I was going to get the Yamaha RX-V1065 but decided to go for the Denon 2310 as they were both the same price. Could anybody shed any light on which might be better?
emotion-42.gif

A

Anonymous

Big Boss,the 1900 does not have gui I think?

Does that give any problems?

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

Presume the following quote from the review...

On the connectivity and feature front the Yamaha has a selection that fares no better or worse against its key rivals. This seven-channel receiver kicks out 105W of power, provides you with four HDMI outputs, one HDMI input, analogue video upconversion and upscaling to 1080p resolution.

...is the wrong way around and it's got 4 in and 1 out?

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

A

Anonymous

Arguably, the Yamaha has the edge over Denon's AVR-2310 when it comes to the processing and steering of surround effects, but that lack of dialogue clarity and fine detail counts against it.

Maybe a stupid question but,can someone tell me this in other words?I'm from Belgium and my english is not eh,that good-(

thx!!

A

Anonymous

lazarus:

Arguably, the Yamaha has the edge over Denon's AVR-2310 when it comes to the processing and steering of surround effects, but that lack of dialogue clarity and fine detail counts against it.

Maybe a stupid question but,can someone tell me this in other words?I'm from Belgium and my english is not eh,that good-(

thx!!

Pros on the Yamaha: Directing of the surround sound around the speakers may arguably be better than the 2310.

Cons on the Yamaha: Lack of dialogue clarity and fine detail counts against it (Voices/conversation could be clearer and have better detail)

Hope that was a fair "translation"
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Anyway you need a new receiver and walk into your local AV store with £700 in your pocket. There sits the Denon 2310 and the Yamaha RX-V1065 both priced at £700 (which they are available for if you google a bit) Which one do you choose and why?

As the Denon was priced slightly higher for its 5* review in theory it hard to do a little more, right?

I don't mean to hijack this Yamaha RX-V1065 thread with questions about the Denon but as they can both be purchased at pretty much the same price it's a question worth asking
emotion-5.gif

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
And it's one that'll be answered in two weeks' time, when the Awards issue goes on sale (or even sooner, if you're a subscriber. have pre-ordered, or buy a copy at the Manchester show)....

But regardless of what we come out in favour of, i'd strongly suggest auditioning both* if you're in the market for a receiver at this price - as the review says, each has its strengths, and you may prefer one over the other.

* I'd also take a listen at the Marantz SR6004, too - also around this price point; also featured in our Awards issue.

A

Anonymous

Now I think about something,the Denon is UK tuned.I wonder how it would perform against a not uk tuned one(has it a better sound or a more detailed sound?).And how the result would be if you put a not uk tuned one against the Yamaha.

Does WH have excperiance with testing models witch are not UK tuned?For example a denon 2310 for the European market?

A

Anonymous

I've got another question to WH people.

Did Yamaha's last year rx-v863 have the same "lack of dialogue clarity and fine detail"?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
In answer to your first questions, no we haven't tested a non-UK Denon.

As to your second - this is in comparative terms. It's only when up against the Denon that the Yamaha '1065 falls slightly short: there's no way it'd be a five-star product if it was deficient.

Products generally get better from generation to generation - Denon (and others) have had last year's Award-winning Yamahas to aim at, and have raised their games.

A

Anonymous

Seems like a no brainer really. At current internet prices the Yamaha can be had for £510, the Denon for £730 and the Pioneer VSX-LX52 for £900.

Based upon this review who in their right mind would buy anything other than the Yamaha ? It would appear that unless you want to pay double the price you may only get something just a "little" better, (well "arguably" anyway).

Damn and blast, Why oh why did I go for that horrible Denon !

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Probably cos it a very good receiver?

Looks like there are two really good receivers available at that kinda price now.....maybe three if the Marantz SR6004 is as good?

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome:

It's only when up against the Denon that the Yamaha '1065 falls slightly short: there's no way it'd be a five-star product if it was deficient.

Ooh is that a hint?
emotion-5.gif

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Take the quote out of context, why don't you.. I was talking specifically about the dialogue issue; as the review says there are other areas in which the Yamaha outperforms the Denon.

In a head-to-head test between the two receivers, it wasn't a unanimous verdict in favour of one or the other - some testers preferred the Yamaha, others the Denon.

Hence them both being five stars, and my continued encouragement to audition them (and the Marantz) if you're looking for an AV amp around this price.

A

Anonymous

Will there be a podcast of the review/discussion?

It's always very interesting to hear the different opinions from WHF towers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts