yamaha RX-V 3900 or Onkyo 906

yiannis550

Jul 14, 2007
Visit site
I know this will be answered in the next issue but I may not be able to get it since I will be permanently relocated in Cyprus

So has anyone seen a comparison between these too and what do they think? Which one is better?

This will be connected on a PS3 (for now) and a projector (probably a Panasonic PT AE 2000 or 3000)
and the B&W 685 theater.

Also I may not be able to have a test hearing in Cyprus as I can't find a Yamaha dealer there. I may get this from Greece (if I choose the Yamaha)

I used ot have a Yamaha reciever before, when I was a student in the US and I loved the sound. I never had or heard an Onkyo

I am also considering the Pioneer LX81 but that is streching my budget and from the review in the Blu Ray ultimate guide I am not convinced why is this better than the Onkyo. The reviews in that guide are too short.

For example on the Yamaha DSP 863 there is barely any mention about its upscaling cababilities. Actually it is just mentioned. That is not a review. It is a feature listing!

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
The Yamaha isn't out yet, although I've read favourable online reports from the States. ÿI believe the first ones will appear at the end of the month. ÿIf you want to save some money, you might be able to track down one of the last few 3800s. ÿI'm very impressed with mine.

A

Anonymous

The Onkyo 906 was given a 4 Star rating and the Yamaha 3900 will only be tested next month. maybe the review of the Yamaha 3900 will be posted online so you'll be able to read and decide. Adny, any plans to post the review of the Yamaha 3900 soon?

Andy Madden

Staff member
Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
Hi folks - we have both these receivers in the building and we'll be doing a three-way test adding the Pioneer SC-LX81 to the equation. The full test will be published in our Jan issue - out 11th Dec

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
First Test of the Onkyo TX-NR906 in the new December 08 issue, on sale today, and the review will be posted online later today or tomorrow.

mafrost

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Wow this is one copy I'll certainly be rushing to the shops to pick up !

Do you have any idea when you'll get your hands on the Pioneer SC-LX71, which is the one I'm really interested in ? I'm assuming the SC-LX81 will be very similar sounding but haivng you guys confirm or deny this will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

A

Anonymous

Andy Madden:Hi folks - we have both these receivers in the building and we'll be doing a three-way test adding the Pioneer SC-LX81 to the equation. The full test will be published in our Jan issue - out 11th Dec

I thought that there was supposed to be a larger Group test in the January issue?

How about making it a four-way test and add the Denon 4308A/3808A into the mix? You can't have a complete test without a Denon, now can you? ;-)

A

Anonymous

Andy Clough:First Test of the Onkyo TX-NR906 in the new December 08 issue, on sale today, and the review will be posted online later today or tomorrow.

Hi Andy,

I recall that you had a Yamaha 1900 in a couple of weeks ago for testing. Any indication on when we can hope to see that review?

Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS