Yamaha RX A3010 or Onkyo 818

surroundman

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi there,

Could you please help me to decide between Yamaha RX A3010 for 929 £ and Onkyo 818 ( open box, display model for 720 £).

Speakers: Mezzo 6 , B&W HTM 62 central,

mezzo 1 surround, sub woofer and surround back from KEF KHT1005.2

I used to have Yamaha RX V1065, I liked the surround processing, but the dialog was not very clear.

Is it really worth it to spend extra 200 £ for Yamaha, or it might sounds too bright with my current speakers. My room dimension: 4.2 x 2.63 m

I have listened to Onkyo 818, it was ok, but there is not a chance to have demo of Yamaha in my town.

If Onkyo is better choice, should I buy new one for 800£ or display model which was used during my demo and guy in shop switched HDMI

cable on the running receiver and used damaged

HDMI cable to connect Onkyo with player but it sounded fine despite of damaged HDMI cable.

Thank you.

Moved to AV receivers section - Mods.

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
surroundman said:
Hi there,

Could you please help me to decide between Yamaha RX A3010 for 929 £ and Onkyo 818 ( open box, display model for 720 £).

Speakers: Mezzo 6 , B&W HTM 62 central,

mezzo 1 surround, sub woofer and surround back from KEF KHT1005.2

You seem to have a bit of a mix of speakers.

Have you considered getting a matching Mordant Short Mezzo 5 centre speaker to go with your Front Left & Right to have a more cohesive sound stage?

surroundman said:
I used to have Yamaha RX V1065, I liked the surround processing, but the dialog was not very clear.

Is it really worth it to spend extra 200 £ for Yamaha, or it might sounds too bright with my current speakers. My room dimension: 4.2 x 2.63 m

I have listened to Onkyo 818, it was ok, but there is not a chance to have demo of Yamaha in my town.

It is difficult to tell you what would be the better choice given your experience with Yamaha. I think you will encounter similar problems with any amp given that the 3 front speakers are a mismatch & likely to be a problem with dialogue in the future.

When you had an audition what speakers were used? i expect they were all the same brand. The only way to tell if it matches with your exsisting speaker setup is to see if you can try to borrow an amp or take in your speakers in to demo it.

surroundman said:
If Onkyo is better choice, should I buy new one for 800£ or display model which was used during my demo and guy in shop switched HDMI

cable on the running receiver and used damaged

HDMI cable to connect Onkyo with player but it sounded fine despite of damaged HDMI cable.

Thank you.

I would recommend if possible you try to audition the amp or amps you are considering & maybe a couple of others, with Mordaunt Short Mezzo speakers, as they are in the majority of your system, this should give you a more informed answer to your question.

As to which amp is the better choice, it all depends on how you like your sound presented. The top of the range Yamaha, which i would choose, tends to be more musical whereas the middle of the range Onkyo, for me is more cinema punchy & not quite so suitable for my situation. That is not to say that either of them is the best for you, it all boils down to taste.

I hope that has helped a little, there are plenty of others that have better knowledge on the subject.

Regards ...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts