Yamaha AX763 - No HD audio from PS3 HELP!!!!!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all, wondering if anyone could help. I have recently purchased the Yamaha AX763 and cannot seem to get the HD audio. Running Batman the Dark night via a ps3 (Using HDMI) it will only show Dolby Digital with none of the HD lights illuminated. The setting on the PS3 are for Bitstream as I have read it can be an issue. Have tried to read the Yamaha manual but unfortunately I do not understand Vulcan. PLEASE HELP ME!!!! Other half is convinced she is right and I have wasted my money.......

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
On the PS3 select sound settings

Select HDMI

Select AUTO

Check that all the Dolby Digital, DTS and all the PCM boxes are ticked (inc. 7.1)

Save

Go to the BD/DVD settings

Select PCM as the audio setting and again save

That should be it. Set your amp to auto and ensure you select the HD audio track in the menu and you can see which audio format is being played by pressing the display button during playback.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
The PS3 only outputs HD audio as Linear PCM, so you won't see indicators on your amp for the Dolby HD and DTS-HD formats, even if you select them on the disc.

That said, it's no great hardship - it still sounds as good.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your help.

Now have the PS3 set at PCM and the yamaha window shows PCM. Not sure if it is working though. The display on the tv from the PS3 while disk is running still only states Dolby digital in the top right hand corner, with no HD indicator. I have ticked all the options on the PS3 audio including 7.1 linea. Bit confused with the blue ray (Batman Dark Night). When i call up the menu under "Audio Menu" on the disk it has one option which states "Button Audio" which I can toggle on or off but it doesn't seem to change anything. There is no where I can see where I can choose HD audio. Am I missing something? Also is it better to have the PS3 decode the HD audio, the Yamaha or does it not matter? Sorry for all the questions. Tried emailing Yamaha direct but no response as yet.

Thanks again for the help from everyone, really really really appreciate it.

System

Sony KDL40w4000

Yamaha AX763

PS3

KEF 2005.3 5.1

(All QED - P HDMI)

Slave to the What HIFI 5 star

Liam19

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
Your question if it's better to have the PS3 or Yam decode the audio is irrelevant - as previously stated, the PS3 can only decode the audio itself, since it can't bitstream HD audio to the Yam to be decoded there. So make sure the PS3 is set to output audio as Linear PCM via HDMI, and you should be fine.

As for The Dark Knight Blu-ray, are you sure you can't find the Audio menu? Pull up the pop-up menu, select 'Settings' then 'Language Settings' and you'll find Dolby TrueHD below the standard Dolby Digital 5.1 track.

A

Anonymous

Excellent!!!!!! Thank you, now all set up. I hadn't looked under languages, thinking it may be under audio and languages would be under languages (Is it just me who thinks that its odd?). Sound is supperb.... Out of curiosity, although I have to have the PS3 decode the HD audio, if I was to use another BD player would it sound better with the yamy decoding or is it either decoded or not decoded and irrelevent what is decoding?

Once again, thanks for the help. Finally the other half is quiet. (I doubt it will be for long though)

Liam19

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
All I'd say is that if you did have a standalone BD player capable of bitstreaming HD audio codecs, I'd definitely give it a try (and hence let the Yam do the decoding, since it's a WHF 5-star amp after all!).

Most purists and audiophiles seem to prefer setting their systems up this way, but to be honest I can't imagine less demanding folk discerning a big difference in sound based on where it's decoded - I definitely wouldn't get hung up on it (depending of course on into which of those two categories of people you fall! lol).

The PS3 does a capable job of internal decoding just as most modern BD players do, and I personally wouldn't be in a hurry to upgrade to a device capable of HD bitstream just to make the pretty little light on my amp come on! lol

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
Decoding is simply uncompressing (unzipping if you like) the compressed audio stream, so it doesn't matter where the decoding is done. Lossless is lossless.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts