Yamaha A-S3000 review

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
insider9 said:
They wouldn't sell Sabbath speakers as ex-demo. They would have to sell them as customer trade in mint condition. They would actually get more for them like this as a lot of ex-demo equipment has dings.

Makes me think about things I've bought now from them, wandering if I can trade them....prob need the boxes I guess...

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
radiorog said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
radiorog said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
radiorog said:
That is a crazy offer you can't refuse! I am also confused as to why they would do this. What do you think they will do with the opticons? They can't sell them again at full price, and I didn't think they sold second hand hand gear, only reconditioned from faulty? Good deal tho.
probably sell them as ex-demo they are mint with boxes and they did the same for me last time when I upgraded from opticon 6 -8s I am not complaining it’s a very good offer but they must be a big mark up on them that’s all I can say .
Yeah totally, it must be a good mark up for them. Great deal for you, but surely totally fraudulent of them if they sell them as ex demo.
I remember when I traded in my opticon 6s they used them in there demo room for quite some time anyway I do not no what they will do with them as long as I get my hands on the rubicon 8s I am happy

Ah damn right, I'd do the same. Its their problem not yours.
have I done something wrong then ? As I’ve been honest and they no how long I have had the Dali opticon 8s for but wasn’t a problem as long as I had the boxes and they where in mint condition which they are .

I understand they are secondhand and so do richer sounds but what they do with my old speakers I really do not no and obviously it helps me out otherwise I would have to pay more towards the rubicon 8s but I do not think they are being fraudulent about anything as they haven’t said what will happen to them .

but as you probably no they do sell open box , ex demo , refurbished and sell on eBay so it could be anyone of theses things

But you kind of making feel guilty for something the manager in the store has decided

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
CnoEvil said:
While scrounging around "The Google" for information on my speaker choice, I see in the Absolute Sound review of your splendid amp, used the Harbeth 40.2s.

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/yamaha-a-s3000-integrated-amplifier/
thanks for the review i am going to wait till i have more money before buying my next speakers so i have a better upgrade instead of a bit of a upgrade if you see what i mean *smile* but i am after something very special

BS best thing is to wait yes and take your time for deciding - thats the best you can do

hang on.......

Say what?

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
CnoEvil said:
While scrounging around "The Google" for information on my speaker choice, I see in the Absolute Sound review of your splendid amp, used the Harbeth 40.2s.

thanks for the review i am going to wait till i have more money before buying my next speakers so i have a better upgrade instead of a bit of a upgrade if you see what i mean *smile* but i am after something very special

BS best thing is to wait yes and take your time for deciding - thats the best you can do

hang on.......

Say what?
yes i know but got the phone call after i did that post

insider9

Andrewjvt said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
CnoEvil said:

thanks for the review i am going to wait till i have more money before buying my next speakers so i have a better upgrade instead of a bit of a upgrade if you see what i mean *smile* but i am after something very special

hang on.......

Say what?
Hahaha ha *lol*

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
insider9 said:
Andrewjvt said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
CnoEvil said:

hang on.......

Say what?
Hahaha ha *lol*
i do not hang around *smile* i would of saved more money if the deal did not happen today but me being me i can not wait and its a good offer that i can not turn down *smile*

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
radiorog said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
radiorog said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
radiorog said:
That is a crazy offer you can't refuse! I am also confused as to why they would do this. What do you think they will do with the opticons? They can't sell them again at full price, and I didn't think they sold second hand hand gear, only reconditioned from faulty? Good deal tho.
probably sell them as ex-demo they are mint with boxes and they did the same for me last time when I upgraded from opticon 6 -8s I am not complaining it’s a very good offer but they must be a big mark up on them that’s all I can say .
Yeah totally, it must be a good mark up for them. Great deal for you, but surely totally fraudulent of them if they sell them as ex demo.
I remember when I traded in my opticon 6s they used them in there demo room for quite some time anyway I do not no what they will do with them as long as I get my hands on the rubicon 8s I am happy

have I done something wrong then ? As I’ve been honest and they no how long I have had the Dali opticon 8s for but wasn’t a problem as long as I had the boxes and they where in mint condition which they are .

I understand they are secondhand and so do richer sounds but what they do with my old speakers I really do not no and obviously it helps me out otherwise I would have to pay more towards the rubicon 8s but I do not think they are being fraudulent about anything as they haven’t said what will happen to them .

but as you probably no they do sell open box , ex demo , refurbished and sell on eBay so it could be anyone of theses things

But you kind of making feel guilty for something the manager in the store has decided

Dude absolutely not, you've definitely done nothing wrong. Insider was saying they sell pre owned too so maybe this is how they will sell them. Its up to them what they do with them. They could put them on a bonfire for all you should worry about. That's what I meant by its not your problem. It genuinely isn't your issue. Its theirs. I was just thinking that they didn't sell pre owned stuff, and was thinking if I bought something I thought was ex demo, and so really may not have had that many hours put in, and almost certainly wouldn't have been played very loud, and the staff could guarantee things like speakers not being in rooms with smoke, not being bashed about and stuff, if I was to buy on this premise and found out they were in fact pre owned, I would be raging, and demand an instant refund, and may even consider legal action against richer for selling fraudulently.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
The upgraded Rubicon 8 should be a safe bet for you. But I admit to not knowing anything about the brand
they are very good speakers Dali

Very clear sounding and very detailed and natural sounding with the right kind of bass response from a speaker I like them because instruments sound like instruments without to much bass getting in the way of things a specially with the Yamaha which is on the natural side anyway so the 2 go together really well .

when I listen to music I like to hear all the instruments as they should sound and the singer voice comes across properly whether that’s Johnny cash and his deep voice or a woman singer and you can hear her lips sticking together that’s how much detail I like and I feel with the Yamaha and Dali that combines a lot of feeling in the music .

I mean my music taste is so big I do not just sit there listening to black sabbath all day I like Blues rock a lot some classical music a little bit of jazz

country rock , classic rock , heavy metal , some old PoP music like ABBA but nothing modern as it does my head in and some hard dance music so pretty big on music taste

But I do recommend you one day listen to some Dali speakers your be surprised how good they sound with the right amplifier but pretty sure I would of liked the ATC speakers as I read they are neutral sounding as well but never seen or hard them only read about them but expensive .

I was worried that if I changed speaker companies for something like B&Ws or the tannoy’s you linked the other day I would kill the very good sound I get now with the opticon 8s I would get to much bass or they would be to bright or there would be something about the sound I didn’t like

I could of gone out and had demos on speakers but it can be tricky for me to get out sometimes as I look after my daughter a lot which she is disabled so needs me around until my wife comes home from work or my daughter is at school even then I have to be around just in case the school phone .

So my hifi is my only luxury and keeps me sane lol as things can be really hard sometimes

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
radiorog said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
radiorog said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
radiorog said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
radiorog said:

Dude absolutely not, you've definitely done nothing wrong. Insider was saying they sell pre owned too so maybe this is how they will sell them. Its up to them what they do with them. They could put them on a bonfire for all you should worry about. That's what I meant by its not your problem. It genuinely isn't your issue. Its theirs. I was just thinking that they didn't sell pre owned stuff, and was thinking if I bought something I thought was ex demo, and so really may not have had that many hours put in, and almost certainly wouldn't have been played very loud, and the staff could guarantee things like speakers not being in rooms with smoke, not being bashed about and stuff, if I was to buy on this premise and found out they were in fact pre owned, I would be raging, and demand an instant refund, and may even consider legal action against richer for selling fraudulently.
Ok that’s all right then *smile*

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
gasolin said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
It will be a thought night till I will have them they should be ok

I know, my new speakers was delayed 3 day's *wacko* oh the time it took
I think they will be ordered from Denmark I am not sure but normally a special order for richer sounds because they are very big speakers and the fact it will give me time to come up with remaining balance which I nearly have

Daz B

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
Looks like your getting a good deal and they trust you look after your speakers. They woudnt be offering you this deal if they were going to lose out on it. Your going to be spending another £2000 pound with them and they will move your speakers on no problem. There probably thinking your be back upgrading them at sometime in the future so it makes good business sense to keep you on as a customer.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Daz B said:
Looks like your getting a good deal and they trust you look after your speakers. They woudnt be offering you this deal if they were going to lose out on it. Your going to be spending another £2000 pound with them and they will move your speakers on no problem. There probably thinking your be back upgrading them at sometime in the future so it makes good business sense to keep you on as a customer.

+1 :)

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Daz B said:
The trouble is that’s the most expensive speaker richer sounds sells currently the Dali rubicon 8

Daz B

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
Not to say they may sell the next level Dali in future.
But your spending your money with them and not going to a competitor so its good all round.
I hope your happy with them and lookfoward to a review.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Daz B said:
Not to say they may sell the next level Dali in future. But your spending your money with them and not going to a competitor so its good all round. I hope your happy with them and lookfoward to a review.
I did listen to the rubicon 5s at richer sounds but they have a very small demo room so the rubicon 5s didn’t come across to well as they sounded very bass rich .

Then I went to a different place to have a demo on a amplifier but ended up trying the rubicon 6s on that demo but this time they sounded ok and the bass was not as rich because the demo was in a big room which made a big difference and that was using a luxman amplifier and a sugden class A amplifier which I liked a lot .

But this is when I hard the rubicons with a better amplifier in a bigger room and I was impressed with the openness of the speaker a specially the top end as you could hear the steel guitar strings on David Gilmore guitar which I’ve never heard them like that before and the speaker had a better midrange I thought at the time then my opticon 8s but since then I have the Yamaha A-S3000 which has improved the midrange on the opticon 8s So it pays to have a good amplifier .

There is a little bass hump with the rubicons not much but pretty sure ones the rubicon 8s are hooked up to my Yamaha that might be controlled better and I can also buy the Gaia 2 feet which will tighten things up more if that bass hump is a issue

But basically the rubicons are much more richer sounding then the opticons but the opticons 6 And 8 are a very good speaker for the money and I highly recommend them to anyone

Even my opticon 8s for there size are well controlled speakers no bass boom from them very clear sounding and detailed speaker that’s why I have stuck with Dali because I feel they make a very good speaker that’s true to music

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Is what you originally wanted and they also have 8inch woofers so you have made the best decision for yourself.
Just send us some pictures once you get them for us to get jealous over, please.

In the meantime I'm going to read up on Dali Rubicons to kill spare time at work.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts