Yamaha A-S2100 amplifier and heat output

DeimosNZ

Feb 10, 2008
Visit site
Hello,

I am quite interested in this amp. I have heard it's big brother which is impressive and I am deciding if the 2100 is the sweet spot in the range.

My experience with Japanese amps is they often run hot. I've talked to a retailer that said it never gets more than 'warm' but a former owner told me his would get quite hot on top (which will have implications for if it will work in my setup).

Does anyone here have any experience and if so could they let me know how hot they actually get? It's a massive amp with large heat sinks so it wouldn't surprise me if it does run hot. If this is the case, could it affect reliability?

Thanks

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
DeimosNZ said:
Hello,

I am quite interested in this amp. I have heard it's big brother which is impressive and I am deciding if the 2100 is the sweet spot in the range.

My experience with Japanese amps is they often run hot. I've talked to a retailer that said it never gets more than 'warm' but a former owner told me his would get quite hot on top (which will have implications for if it will work in my setup).

Does anyone here have any experience and if so could they let me know how hot they actually get? It's a massive amp with large heat sinks so it wouldn't surprise me if it does run hot. If this is the case, could it affect reliability?

Thanks
I own the Yamaha A-S2100 and the A-S2100 CD player

i would say the Yamaha A-S2100 runs warm ive got mine in a Hifi rack and had no issues with it cutting out because it got to hot and would of thought that because it gets hot it will not shorten the life of the Amplifier is should be a amplifier for a lifetime well that's what I am hoping for anyway .

I've not heard the A-S3000 amplifier so I can not comment on that but I would say the Yamaha A-S2100 would be the one to go for as the price has dropped a bit on it and the amplifier is seriously top quality amplifier and nothing is plastic on it and pair the Yamaha with a good set of speakers and you will be smiling it's a very good amplifier and it's the first time in buying hifi I've felt happy and not wanted to upgrade anything .

it's well made amplifier and very heavy and you will need some room to sit it somewhere as it's big and it's depth is a lot bigger then standard amplifiers .

anymore questions ask me *smile*

vonchief

Dec 21, 2008
Visit site
I also have the A-S2100.

It's in an opened backed cabinet and I have never had any issues with it getting hot, just runs slightly warm.

Great Amp

DeimosNZ

Feb 10, 2008
Visit site
Thanks to both of you. So even if you put your hand on it after running it a while it wouldn't be considered hot?

i have Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor Ms and Dynaudio Contour 3.4LEs which I look forward to hearing with the Yamaha.

Also plan to listen to it with Harbeth M30.1s and Proac D20Rs.

I will be replacing a Music First Audio passive per-amp and bel canto power amp. It's a transparent combo but I want a bit more warmth (and a remote!)

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
DeimosNZ said:
Thanks to both of you. So even if you put your hand on it after running it a while it wouldn't be considered hot?

i have Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor Ms and Dynaudio Contour 3.4LEs which I look forward to hearing with the Yamaha.

I will be replacing a Music First Audio passive per-amp and bel canto power amp. It's a transparent combo but I want a bit more warmth (and a remote!)
It gets warm as it's class A-B and the A-S2100 has a custom power supply and yes it has a aluminium remote control with plastic bottom half and the remote will work the matching CD player as well .

i currently use Dali opticon 8s which are 4ohm speakers so the A-S2100 doubles its power and the opticon's are a very good match with the Yamaha but you will need to demo the Yamaha with what ever speakers you are using to get a good match sonically .

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
DeimosNZ said:

i have Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor Ms and Dynaudio Contour 3.4LEs  which I look forward to hearing with the Yamaha. 

It gets warm as it's class A-B and the A-S2100 has a custom power supply and yes it has a aluminium remote control with plastic bottom half and the remote will work the matching CD player as well  .

i currently use Dali opticon 8s which are 4ohm speakers so the A-S2100 doubles its power and the opticon's are a very good match with the Yamaha but you will need to demo the Yamaha with what ever speakers you are using to get a good match sonically .
Hey blacksabbath/ vonchief, do you ever use the tone controls on the amp? Do you think using them reduces sound quality at all?
Thank you!

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
radiorog said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
DeimosNZ said:

It gets warm as it's class A-B and the A-S2100 has a custom power supply and yes it has a aluminium remote control with plastic bottom half and the remote will work the matching CD player as well .

Hey blacksabbath/ vonchief, do you ever use the tone controls on the amp? Do you think using them reduces sound quality at all? Thank you!
I do not use the tone controls there no need to you can also turn the UV meters lights off which is meant to give a cleaner sound but I can't tell the difference with them on or off and most of the time I do not have the UVs on .

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
radiorog said:
Cool. Read a good review by 6moon
it's a very good amplifier

the price has dropped to around £1250 - £1300 which for that money is a bargain considering when this amplifier first came out I think it was selling around the £3000 - £3500 mark .

its a very well put together and well engineered amplifier and build quality is top quality the sound is clean well detailed as long as you pair the Yamaha with a good set of speakers and you will be rewarded .

i did try the tone controls and I never noticed any decay in sound only the bass being increased and the treble being increased

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
radiorog said:

the price has dropped to around £1250 - £1300 which for that money is a bargain considering when this amplifier first came out I think it was selling around the £3000 - £3500 mark  .

its a very well put together and well engineered amplifier and build quality is top quality the sound is clean well detailed as long as you pair the Yamaha with a good set of speakers and you will be rewarded .

i did try the tone controls and I never noticed any decay in sound only the bass being increased and the treble being increased 
I can only see them for £1800, although I'm not currently looking to upgrade, I would like to hear one still.

radiorog said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
radiorog said:

the price has dropped to around £1250 - £1300 which for that money is a bargain considering when this amplifier first came out I think it was selling around the £3000 - £3500 mark .

i did try the tone controls and I never noticed any decay in sound only the bass being increased and the treble being increased
I can only see them for £1800, although I'm not currently looking to upgrade, I would like to hear one still.
I think I've seen some ex-dem or manufacturers refurbished models (sometimes they've just been in show at an exhibition) at the lower price. But you may need to be patient. Not heard one at home, but was on my radar when I plumped for the Primare, which sounds and runs cool!

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
nopiano said:
radiorog said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
radiorog said:

the price has dropped to around £1250 - £1300 which for that money is a bargain considering when this amplifier first came out I think it was selling around the £3000 - £3500 mark  .

i did try the tone controls and I never noticed any decay in sound only the bass being increased and the treble being increased 
I think I've seen some ex-dem or manufacturers refurbished models (sometimes they've just been in show at an exhibition) at the lower price.  But you may need to be patient.  Not heard one at home, but was on my radar when I plumped for the Primare, which sounds and runs cool!
Yeah, a bit of patience perhaps. Sorry for going off post here, but just googling the primare amp, and that's good varying reviews! Didn't come out too well on whf, but did on other sites. I take it you feel whf got it wrong in their review?

radiorog said:
nopiano said:
radiorog said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
radiorog said:

I think I've seen some ex-dem or manufacturers refurbished models (sometimes they've just been in show at an exhibition) at the lower price. But you may need to be patient. Not heard one at home, but was on my radar when I plumped for the Primare, which sounds and runs cool!
Yeah, a bit of patience perhaps. Sorry for going off post here, but just googling the primare amp, and that's good varying reviews! Didn't come out too well on whf, but did on other sites. I take it you feel whf got it wrong in their review?
Yes, they were the only mediocre review on the planet. It won awards galore and was £2,000 for most of its life. Being replaced now, I think by a now fashionable DAC inclusive model. I'd say it's about as neutral as you can get at the price, which is pretty much what Hi-Fi should be in my book - a conduit to faithfully reproduce the recording.

No phono stage, unlike the Yamaha. And if you're looking at similar, there are decent rivals from Denon, Rotel, Marantz and Parasound, to mention those that come to mind.

Andrewjvt said:
nopiano said:
radiorog said:
nopiano said:
radiorog said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
radiorog said:

Yes, they were the only mediocre review on the planet. It won awards galore and was £2,000 for most of its life. Being replaced now, I think by a now fashionable DAC inclusive model. I'd say it's about as neutral as you can get at the price, which is pretty much what Hi-Fi should be in my book - a conduit to faithfully reproduce the recording.

No phono stage, unlike the Yamaha. And if you're looking at similar, there are decent rivals from Denon, Rotel, Marantz and Parasound, to mention those that come to mind.
If you get a chance try some different amps with your atcs. I tested scm40s with loads of different amps and topology and ill confirm that they are ruthlessly sensitive to the change in amps witch tells you how good they actually are. They even brought a so called 'high end' amp to its knees in seconds. I almost listened in disbelief. Also how lucky you are that the primare suits them. And probably how good the primare is.
Thanks for your thoughts, Andrew. I had replaced my long-serving Krell KAV300i with the Primare as it was on offer, then heard the ATC with ATCs own integrated amp at the dealer. He was happy to offer a home trial before I decided. They are revealing, as you say, but not a difficult load so much as a bit less sensitive than some. If I win the Permium Bonds I'd have to try the active version I think!

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
nopiano said:
radiorog said:
nopiano said:
radiorog said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
radiorog said:

I think I've seen some ex-dem or manufacturers refurbished models (sometimes they've just been in show at an exhibition) at the lower price.  But you may need to be patient.  Not heard one at home, but was on my radar when I plumped for the Primare, which sounds and runs cool!
Yes, they were the only mediocre review on the planet. It won awards galore and was £2,000 for most of its life.  Being replaced now, I think by a now fashionable DAC inclusive model. I'd say it's about as neutral as you can get at the price, which is pretty much what Hi-Fi should be in my book - a conduit to faithfully reproduce the recording.  

No phono stage, unlike the Yamaha.  And if you're looking at similar, there are decent rivals from Denon, Rotel, Marantz and Parasound, to mention those that come to mind. 
If you get a chance try some different amps with your atcs.
I tested scm40s with loads of different amps and topology and ill confirm that they are ruthlessly sensitive to the change in amps which tells you how good they actually are.
They even brought a so called 'high end' amp to its knees in seconds. I almost listened in disbelief.
Also how lucky you are that the primare suits them. And probably how good the primare is.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts