Yamaha A-S 801

Status
Not open for further replies.

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
Hello ,

just been listeninig to this amp. I can rather say it sounds really good. Tight bass, very good vocal repro, soundstage and detail. I only wonder if the phono section MM is as good ? And whether lower models like A-S 501 are just less powerful but keep the same sound character ? I listened to it for a half an hour, it was hooked up to good speakers. Pretty amazed with the sound.

insider9

I haven't had an opportunity to listen to 801 but did a demo of 501. Very well speced for the price.

Sonic qualities were a plenty but the detail was clearly put above musicality. It sounded rather digital, over analytical and not to my taste. I ended up buying Onkyo A9010 then. I might add that at that point I could've had either of them for the same money and I wanted the Yamaha as on paper it was superior in every way.

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
insider9 said:
I haven't had an opportunity to listen to 801 but did a demo of 501. Very well speced for the price.

Sonic qualities were a plenty but the detail was clearly put above musicality. It sounded rather digital, over analytical and not to my taste. I ended up buying Onkyo A9010 then. I might add that at that point I could've had either of them for the same money and I wanted the Yamaha as on paper it was superior in every way.

Yes , it plays analitical ( which is only an advantage I think ) but also a bit on the warm side...I found it pretty musical though. Vocal repro and detail were really good.

insider9

stereoman said:
insider9 said:

Yes , it plays analitical ( which is only an advantage I think ) but also a bit on the warm side...I found it pretty musical though. Vocal repro and detail were really good.

They probably share some characteristics. Many people love how Yamaha amps sound the fact 501 wasn't to my taste doesn't mean I'm not open to audition different models in the future. I'm glad you like it. Thanks for sharing.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
stereoman said:
Hello ,

just been listeninig to this amp. I can rather say it sounds really good. Tight bass, very good vocal repro, soundstage and detail. I only wonder if the phono section MM is as good ? And whether lower models like A-S 501 are just less powerful but keep the same sound character ? I listened to it for a half an hour, it was hooked up to good speakers. Pretty amazed with the sound.
that's a new amp by Yamaha the A-S 801

and its ment to be a lot more powerful then my amp the A-S 2100 mine got a very good phono stage built in mine it does both MC / MM .

I am well pleased with my amp I think the sound it makes is the best I have heard out of an amp so far

built like a tank and quality like a Bentley

stereoman said:
Hello ,

Knowing Yamaha I would suggest, although I have not hear it yet, that the 801's phono section should be good. I'd also suggest that specification wise with the Bluetooth ability and good DAC this amp should be very well worth the money.

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
The Yamaha "A S" series have adjustable "loudness" control. And here it is a bit of a positive surprise. Why ? I am generally against all tone controls in amps and especially "loudness" which is kinda unprofessional and contaminate the signal path a bit. I really think one does not need it even at night listening. The reason to double bass response at night is that with lower volume "loudness" compensates for less sensitive hearing. Again, at night, true, the volume is much lower but the environment noise is also much quieter - so generally one does not need "loudness" at all. But Yamaha guys came up with sth. interesting. It looks ( and sounds ) that indeed the Yamaha amps are pretty clever engineered - i.e. Yamaha team think correct what it should be all about and how to compromise things a bit in a proper way. The "loudness" control in Yamaha is not a button but a knob and what is more important is when turning the knob loudness it adds more bass response but also, at the same time, goes down in volume up to -30 dB. It means that when you increase bass boost the woofers are kinda being protected by this gradual volume decrease - the more you add the quieter and more boomy it goes - a safe and professional approach ! Also Bass and Treble controls increase or decrease the tones in only a subtle way without any tone overload. Good.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Reads like a lot of product for the money.

Internally it's the usual far eastern fare with convoluted tracks, a myriad of boards and miles of cabling. Good parts though and a decent power supply.

At £400 I would certainly short list.

Interesting review here, not least their opinion that it sounds smooth and sweet, but needs 100 hours plus running in. Doubters stop reading here!

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/yamaha-a-s801-integrated-amplifier-and-yba-11-bluetooth-wireless-adapter/

manix

May 31, 2016
Visit site
Al ears said:
nopiano said:
nopiano said:
Interesting review here, not least their opinion that it sounds smooth and sweet, but needs 100 hours plus running in. Doubters stop reading here!

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/yamaha-a-s801-integrated-amplif...

Judging by some of Vade Forresters' and other posts at 'theabsolutesound' just about everything needs 100 hours of burn-in. Wonder if he does the same with his toast. ;-)

Sometimes I wonder if 100 hours burn-in really means 100 hours to get used to the sound.

Reactions: andybebbs
manix said:
Al ears said:
nopiano said:
nopiano said:

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/yamaha-a-s801-integrated-amplif...

Judging by some of Vade Forresters' and other posts at 'theabsolutesound' just about everything needs 100 hours of burn-in. Wonder if he does the same with his toast. ;-)

Sometimes I wonder if 100 hours burn-in really means 100 hours to get used to the sound.

In a lot of cases no, they apparently switch things on then disappear off to work / pub / bed etc and don't actually listen to it until it has played away to itself for that time period.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
With the models above the A-S 801

the A-S 1000 , 2100 , 3000 you do not get the loudness button only the 3 basic treble , fine bass adjustment and L + R .

with the A-S 2100 , 3000 you get XLR inputs and a hole host of adjustments at the back of both units .

I see by the link that the person who did the review liked the amp but did not test it with a cdplayer or a TT which is a bit strange . He just tested on its dac capabilities for streaming but saying all this it's still a cracking amp for the money and I am sure it would be good with a cdplayer , TT hooked up .

chunky70

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I have the A-S201 in my bedroom setup and it doesn't have loudness controls either just a pure direct button. Sounds very lush and smooth, just the way i like it!

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
The Yamaha as801 looks good and although it is on the Yamaha uk site I can't see where to buy it in the Uk. the as701 however, has exactly the same power figures etc but doesn't have the Usb 32bit dac, apart from that looks very similar and only 399 pounds

Blackdawn said:
The Yamaha as801 looks good and although it is on the Yamaha uk site I can't see where to buy it in the Uk. the as701 however, has exactly the same power figures etc but doesn't have the Usb 32bit dac, apart from that looks very similar and only 399 pounds

I am sure any Yamaha dealer (like Nottingham HiFi) would get one in if you were really interested in one, always assuming they are still making them ;-)

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Blackdawn said:

Actually, if you're quick you can get the A-S701 for £360 until midnight tomorrow from Superfi Online as they are offering a 10% Black Friday discount. Almost tempted myself, I've long fancied a Yamaha, if for no other reason than I like the look
regular_smile.gif

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
DIB said:
Blackdawn said:

Actually, if you're quick you can get the A-S701 for £360 until midnight tomorrow from Superfi Online as they are offering a 10% Black Friday discount. Almost tempted myself, I've long fancied a Yamaha, if for no other reason than I like the look

Yes. Full recommendation. Actually I bought " A S 701 " yesterday. Really good. Nice sound.

JohnM20

Jan 6, 2022
Visit site
Hello! What do you think about Sony STRDH190.CEK? I found it**** and want to hear your opinion

Thank you!

(Link edited as it is inappropriate.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts