Experience with Yamaha WXC-50 is bizarre!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
robdmarsh said:
davedotco said:
I

For example, connect your CD player to the WXC-50 using both the digital and the regular analogue cables. Use the fixed (streamer mode) outputs for this test, you can now play a CD and switch between the two inputs on the WXC-50.

I don't think I can do this. First of all, can I even separate the CD signal from the amplifier on an all-in-one like this? Also, although there is aux out on the Marantz, there is definitely no optical out.

It is quite simple.

Connect the Toslink out on the CD player to the Toslink in on the WXC50

Connect the analogue phono out on the player to the analogue input on the WXC50

Connect the aux out on the EXC50 to the 603 aux input 2 or 3

Set the level on the 603 to normal listening levels and switch between the two inputs on the WXC 50, if trying to instant A/B, be very carefull matching the levels.

Done correctly, this will compare the digital stages of the 20 year old Rotel with the digital stages of the more up to date WXC 50, see what you think.

Then, connect the Toslink out on the WXC50 to the Toslink in on the 603, select whichever input you preferred in the previous test on the WXC50 and this time do the switching on the 603, again, take care over matching levels, but see which you prefer.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
robdmarsh said:
Hi newlash09. So can I ask how you use the WXC-50? I see you have a Chord 2 qute so presumably you're only using it as a streamer but do you use the pre-amp functions as well? What's your experience of its performance?

This how my wxc 50 is wired.

1. Chromecast audio optical out, into optical in on the wxc-50.

2. Wxc 50 optical out to optical in on the chord2qute.

3. Chord 2 qute line level analogue outs into line level ins on the integrated amp.

4. I don't use the preamp functionality of the wxc-50. And only use it as a streamer hard wired with LAN cable.

5. Plugging the Chromecast optical out to optical in on the wxc-50, enables me to swtich to Chromecast from the music cast app on the fly. And that way I use both streaming from wxc-50 and Chromecast into the single optical input on my dac.

Iam actually away from home for the last 2 months. So don't remember the exact settings in the wxc-50 regarding auto play.

robdmarsh

But that's just it. There's no toslink out on the Marantz. The CD player is part of the 603 so I can't do that. Anyway, I'm going to give it another listen comparing the connections on the streamer with the volume levels optimised as you suggested.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
robdmarsh said:
But that's just it. There's no toslink out on the Marantz. The CD player is part of the 603 so I can't do that. Anyway, I'm going to give it another listen comparing the connections on the streamer with the volume levels optimised as you suggested.

My bad, I am getting you confused with another poster.

Ok, a somewhat more complex way to make some comparisons. Pick a few CDs that you like and think would be a good test. Use your computer to rip them to flac and put them onto a usb stick, correctly formatted as per the yamaha manual.

Plug the stick into the WXC50 and connect via digital or analogue (or both) to the 603. You can then compare the original CDs played on the 603 with the rips played on the WXC50. Might be interesting.

robdmarsh

newlash09 said:
robdmarsh said:
5. Plugging the Chromecast optical out to optical in on the wxc-50, enables me to swtich to Chromecast from the music cast app on the fly. And that way I use both streaming from wxc-50 and Chromecast into the single optical input on my dac.

Not sure I quite understand why why you would stream from both Chromecast and the Yamaha. Anyway, do you notice a difference in sound quality, or at least one that justifies £30 vs £250? (I know, of course, the Yamaha has other benefits to be taken into account, but still an interesting question)

robdmarsh

davedotco said:
robdmarsh said:
Ok, a somewhat more complex way to make some comparisons. Pick a few CDs that you like and think would be a good test. Use your computer to rip them to flac and put them onto a usb stick, correctly formatted as per the yamaha manual.

Plug the stick into the WXC50 and connect via digital or analogue (or both) to the 603. You can then compare the original CDs played on the 603 with the rips played on the WXC50. Might be interesting.

Aren't I kind of already doing that by comparing FLAC streams from Qobuz with CDs that I already own? To my ears, the FLAC files streamed from Qobuz sound better than my CD player.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I have my Yamaha wxc50 connected though my CD player using Coaxial cable that’s it but I can select the input on the CD player so I am basically using the Dac from my CD player .

i do not no your Marantz CD player but does it have a input selection on it ?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
robdmarsh said:
davedotco said:
robdmarsh said:

Aren't I kind of already doing that by comparing FLAC streams from Qobuz with CDs that I already own? To my ears, the FLAC files streamed from Qobuz sound better than my CD player.

Very much so and that is a very positive result. To be picky, you really need to know that the recording streamed from Qobuz is exactly the same as the one on the CD, not always the case. But if this is a consistent finding then it looks like you are moving forward very positively.

Next stage is to rip the CDs you own to some sort of hard disk/drive and then move on your 603 and speakers and look at your options, the CD player and probably the radio should now be surplus to requitements.

You could, for example, hook the WXC50 pre-amp outs to a pair of £1000 Acoustic Energy AE1 actives that will, with good source material and proper set up be a seriously good system.

Plenty of other more traditional options possible, the world is your mousetrap (© Arthur Daley).

robdmarsh

Thanks, davedotco, that's interesting. I think I am looking to upgrade the Marantz in the future but in many ways I'm fond of it. I know that active speakers are pretty good these days and a neat and space-saving solution. The Acoustic Energy AE1 actives are pretty nice, I saw them in Sevenoaks a few months back.

One thing I really love about my system at the moment, however, is my Elac debut b5. I owned all of the following for a time and the Elacs stomped all over them, of course maybe only in my system: Wharfedale diamond 220, Wharfedale diamond 10.1, Rega rs1, Dali zensor 3, Monitor Audio silver 1.

robdmarsh

[/quote]

Unfortanately, no, but I'm really liking the sound from the Yamaha. Maybe I could have got something similar with a cheaper solution but the design, app, MusicCast flexibility are all excellent IMO.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
robdmarsh said:

Unfortanately, no, but I'm really liking the sound from the Yamaha. Maybe I could have got something similar with a cheaper solution but the design, app, MusicCast flexibility are all excellent IMO.

[/quote] the Yamaha wxc50 is a really good bit of kit for the money it does a lot of stuff for a small box I brought mine on the day of release so I’ve had mine now for some time and it’s worked faultlessly

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
robdmarsh said:
Thanks, davedotco, that's interesting. I think I am looking to upgrade the Marantz in the future but in many ways I'm fond of it. I know that active speakers are pretty good these days and a neat and space-saving solution. The Acoustic Energy AE1 actives are pretty nice, I saw them in Sevenoaks a few months back.

One thing I really love about my system at the moment, however, is my Elac debut b5. I owned all of the following for a time and the Elacs stomped all over them, of course maybe only in my system: Wharfedale diamond 220, Wharfedale diamond 10.1, Rega rs1, Dali zensor 3, Monitor Audio silver 1.

Elac make some very good speakers and interestingly enough work with other speaker companies to produce some very interesting speakers. They share ribbon tweeter technology with pro audio speaker company Adam Acoustics whose A7x models are a serious alternative to the Acoustic Energy models already mentioned (I use Adam active speakers myself).

If you want to splash some cash, the Unity Audio 'Rock' monitor uses a combination of heavily customised Elac drive units and amplification by Tim de Paravicini. Truly superb compact two way speakers for about £2.5k, real, serious kit.

unity-audio-the-rock-MK2.jpg

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
robdmarsh said:
newlash09 said:
robdmarsh said:

Not sure I quite understand why why you would stream from both Chromecast and the Yamaha. Anyway, do you notice a difference in sound quality, or at least one that justifies £30 vs £250? (I know, of course, the Yamaha has other benefits to be taken into account, but still an interesting question)

same tracks through both, so cannot their respective sound qualities. But since both are only feeding the dac, there shouldn't be much of a difference. If at all my arrangement might actually be detrimental to the sound quality of the Chromecast as it goes through the wxc-50 where jitter might be added.

I use the Chromecast for local streaming sites which are not supported in musicast. And I use the wxc-50 for tidal and streaming off the NAS.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts